Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help for a girl just getting into it (oracle)

Bike
    03' VTR250
    Quote Originally Posted by davebullet View Post
    Oh the humanity... Back on topic for the OP....

Oracle - Some questions:
    1. Do you want to go over 60kph? (eg. do you want a powerful scooter or a motorcycle? Are you commuting in town or planning on highway riding?)
    2. Is fuel economy important to you? (eg. Hornets will eat more gas than a Scorpio)
    3. Are there any bikes you don't like the style of? (eg. cruiser, vs. standard naked, vs. standard faired, vs. sports faired)
    4. How tall are you? (not a prying question - but affects seat height as some bikes can be difficult for the physically short - even learner ones)
    5. Do you plan on keeping for a few years or might you want a bigger bike (I know - hard to know when you've never owned / ridden)
    6. Is a new bike warranty important? (or can you / do you have a friend who can inspect a 2nd hand bike)
    7. What is your budget? (allow $1,000 - $1,500 for decent protective riding gear - helmet, gloves, jacket, pants and boots). You'll need this not only to be safe but keep warm and dryish over winter
    1. Will definitely need to go over 60km/h cause I live at the end of the Northwestern motorway and go to uni in town and I get off before rush hour some days
    2. Fuel economy would be good but not a huge priority, as long as it uses less than my car
    3. I don't hate any type of bike but would definitely prefer a sports bike if I can get one
    4. I understand why you ask, I'm pretty short tbh about 5'5" probably
    5. I can probably see myself keeping it for a few years considering I will be at uni for another 6 years if all goes well
    6. I have one friend who could come check it out for obvious flaws but was wondering if there were any professional places that I would be able to get to look at it for me (or some nice KBers who wouldn't mind being paid, perhaps in beer?) as I don't have the budget for a new bike
    7. Excluding gear I'm looking for one about $2000, maybe a little bit less (yeah I know it won't be a great one) depends on how much money I can put together before next semester

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by oracle View Post
    1. Will definitely need to go over 60km/h cause I live at the end of the Northwestern motorway and go to uni in town and I get off before rush hour some days
    2. Fuel economy would be good but not a huge priority, as long as it uses less than my car
    3. I don't hate any type of bike but would definitely prefer a sports bike if I can get one
    4. I understand why you ask, I'm pretty short tbh about 5'5" probably
    5. I can probably see myself keeping it for a few years considering I will be at uni for another 6 years if all goes well
    6. I have one friend who could come check it out for obvious flaws but was wondering if there were any professional places that I would be able to get to look at it for me (or some nice KBers who wouldn't mind being paid, perhaps in beer?) as I don't have the budget for a new bike
    7. Excluding gear I'm looking for one about $2000, maybe a little bit less (yeah I know it won't be a great one) depends on how much money I can put together before next semester
    Sportsbikes are not always great for commuting. A more upright seating position makes for better commutes. As I said, stick to Jap bikes for now. Maybe hyosungs - although the earlier models at least had bad build quality.
    Hondas have traditionally good build quality (especially amongst older bikes) - but you can see it in the resale values. 1992 CBR250RR's till go for $5k.

Probably the best bet for that prices is a good deal on an older honda VTR 250.
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    Could I suggest that as you want a relaible bike for commuting that you definatly stay away from Lifan & Keeway or any other unknown. They may be fine but best not to be the tester esp as a being a student. Stay with Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha. As a learner get a bike with not to much plastic as you will drop it. Even if it just falls off stand or some other silly mistake if you break a fairing it will cost $$$$. Mine has fallen over & just scratched muffler (best thing about naked bikes). However a screen would be really nice esp on days like the last couple. Definatly get some gear, if nothing else it will help keep you dry (ish)

Bike
    03' VTR250
    Hey, yeah I'm looking toward an fxr150 maybe or a gn250. I've found a couple which look ok in my price range and as a sports bike, the fxr150 doesn't have that much fairing.

Bike
    Eurotrash
    This one appears to be in pretty reasonable nick http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-282629802.htm and has had a lot of recent maintainence work (always make sure you see reciepts for work that has supposedly been done) so shouldn't need big money spent on it for a while yet

Bike
    03' VTR250
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Trouble View Post
    This one appears to be in pretty reasonable nick http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-282629802.htm and has had a lot of recent maintainence work (always make sure you see reciepts for work that has supposedly been done) so shouldn't need big money spent on it for a while yet
    That looks really good, too bad I don't think it'll be round till next semester Man I wish my scholarship money would come in sooner

Bike
    Eurotrash
    That looks really good, too bad I don't think it'll be round till next semester Man I wish my scholarship money would come in sooner
    Depending how much you already have, course related costs?

Bike
    03' VTR250
    Depending how much you already have, course related costs?
    Can only get $1700 together right now, with course related so I'll have to wait and hope there's something as good when I have my money

Bike
    CB1000R
    Can only get $1700 together right now, with course related so I'll have to wait and hope there's something as good when I have my money
    Prices are (almost) always negotiable, and cash is a big motivator...

Bike
    03' VTR250
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwinch View Post
    Prices are (almost) always negotiable, and cash is a big motivator...
    Yeah I could imagine them coming down like a couple hundred but I'd still be $400 short and considering my parents don't want me to get it anyway I can't really see them helping me out here :P

Bike
    2012 Striple
    Blog Entries
    Great bike to learn on and build confidence, LMT is spot on with this recommendation - although I would find someone to check out the state of the bike itself - the type is great

Good luck

yeehaaa sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by R-Soul View Post
    Seriously. Get a bike that is made in Japan, and has a bit of oomph behind it. the power is actually helpful in dodgy situations. and just because youhave it doesn't mean you have to use it (yeah right!).

Jap bikes have decent servicing costs, decent reliability, and decent resale value. And dont fall apart and are not made with dodgy materials and dodgy design. Lifan may be cheap short term but I think it could bite you later....

And honestly, get yourself a decent tutor/trainer and do a few courses AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE (the ride right ride safe course for one). And do reading of books. Specifically and most importantly, learn what counter steering is, and DO IT consciously for as long as it takes until it becomes subconscious.

Biking is ALL about technique. Poor technique is poor control, and lack of confidence. Riding while being unconfident in your abilities to control the bike is damn scary and takes away from the pure joy that is avialable otherwise. And with good technique, even a relative newbie can ride better than some "experienced" riders that have retained bad habits because they have never bothered to get off their ass and think/learn a bit more....

You can tell these riders on the forum by their comments:
    "Dont overthink it - just ride"
    "Its not a science lesson, just go out and do it", etc.

Man you sound like such an egg roll
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Are you at auckland uni? Come hang out at strata 4.30ish to 5 is where the SMC club meets every friday. It only costs $1 to join

(if ur not at auckland uni, you can still come its not a AU only club, anyone can come hang)
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    Ninjaaaa!
    I started on a gn250 and it was fine for me. If you want to catch up to talk, join us at Strata... Or give me a PM if you wanna females perspective.

Also, biomed, that's cool. It's what I wanted to do but ended up at Massey doing Bio instead. Hopefully will be able to get to AU to do biomed next sem or next year.

Fortnightly Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Cr1MiNaL View Post
    sigh, people with big mouths on here are always the ones with little or no skill.
    Roffle

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    Man you sound like such an egg roll
    and you sound dangerous.
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Thread Information