View Poll Results: Pirelli Angels or Conti Attack 2?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Angels

18 47.37%
  • Attack 2

20 52.63%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Conti Attack2 or Pirelli Angels?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Tyres can be very personal, some love a particular tyre, others hate it. I remember a while ago, there was a tyre Death loved, I hated it. He loved what it did, I felt it made the bike twitchy as all hell. Different bikes will also make a tyre perform differently.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    Which tyres were the experimentals BTW? Were they the "full bore" ones by chance?
    On my KTM I was running a set of Pirelli Scorpion Sync. Needed another set, couldn't get a single rear in the entire country, so had an offer of a set of BT016 at a great price. Figured, oh what the hell, I'll give them a shot, triple compound on rear etc. Turned out they were terrible for me, ended up putting the bike into a ditch when it low-sided in the wet, with no warning. Needless to say, the repairs comfortably cancelled any savings on the tyres, now I'm obsessed with only running the Syncs on my KTM. Always have a spare set, and when it goes on, another is ordered.

Sold the set of BT016 (with less than a thousand km on them - ie, as soon as the Sync turned up) to a mate, who loved them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2009 Yamaha R6
    Yup, two top of the range sports tourers there, and not a huge amount between them from what I hear - much of that being subjective.
    Feedback from those who are on the RA2 at the moment is that the front steers extremely well, and VERY sporty, and after 6500 km on a 2009 R1 with a real hard charger aboard the front is less than half worn. The BRM crew did 4500 km in the south island on the 'Busa, and less than half worn.
    Other feedback from the riders I have contact with is much the same, and they are comparing to the same sector of tyres that you are.
    The RA2 is continuous compound, with means it's hard in the middle, and gets softer towards the outside in a linear fashiom, so you get something a little softer and stickier at the absolute limit, while still getting durability in the centre.
    Both are VERY good in the wet, which you would expect given the amount of silica in them - deffinately sports and tourer, but not too sports.

What have you ridden and liked before ?

PS - i won't be voting in your poll for obvious reasons !

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishy View Post
    PS - i won't be voting in your poll for obvious reasons !
    That's all good, I can read between the lines....
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Bike
    95 honda cbr900rr 05 zx6rr 89gsxr750
    Have run the Angels , neutral steering , great wet grip and good life too . RA2s look sportier though and they have "traction skin" so don't need to be scrubbed in ( so they say)

Bike
    None any more
    After having had suboptimal experiences with the old Conti Road Attacks (on an ST1300 and on an FJR1300) and the Conti Motions (on my Shiver), I am reluctant to try any other Contis on the basis of "third time lucky".

Having said that, my front Angel is porous, losing pressure at the rate of about 5 psi per day and has done since new. I shall continue to fart around with it until its rear buddy wears out in about 3,000km time. I'm also unsure as to whether the Angel is the perfect tyre for the Shiver but shall reserve judgement on that until I get my suspension upgraded.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2013 Yamaha MT-09
    I have done 4k on the Conti 2's now. no discernable wear difference between front and rear tyres. Plenty of tread left. estimate another 4k+ on them at least.

still very pleased with these tyres.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxxa View Post
    I have done 4k on the Conti 2's now. no discernable wear difference between front and rear tyres. Plenty of tread left. estimate another 4k+ on them at least.
    If these are a tyre to compare with the Angels, you should be looking to get another 8,000km off them.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    POS 750cc+ bike, Suzuki DRZ400
    Conti 2 - not owned.
    Conti - had them and didn't like them. The only tyre that would slip on the front that I've ever owned.
    Pirelli's - heard lots of good things and wanted Angels but they didn't arrive in time so went with PR2's. Friends ride Pirelli and they ride quick in the wet. And I mean real wet, long rides.
    Mich PR2's - slip a bit which is a bit of a surprise, but then they grab again everytime. Had them let go at well over 100 plus in heavy rain thought it was strange till I looked at the speedo and realised I was going way quicker than I thought. Had them let go a few times last Sunday in the wet. Just not confidence inspiring last Sunday but before that and at speed they're good. The PR2's are also showing uneven wear.
    Mich PR's - just really great tyres.
    Metzeler - had them and they were crap. (I know, I know - some people love em. I just didn't like the feel, the ability to let go, the wear wasn't good. Overall I'd never touch them again.) And some of my best friends would ride with nothing else.

Angels next time for me.
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single motorcycle

Click here for: - Changing Dyslexia, Depression, Anxiety, Trauma, Phobia's, Allergies etc

Bike
    2013 Yamaha MT-09
    5k on the Conti 2 now. only now starting to show some wear on the rear tyre, that 'squaring off' of the centre of the tyre that you get. Tread still at 4mm. Got caught in heavy and consistant rain a week ago when I was out of town. tyres felt fine in the wet, no loss of confidence there. Pressures: front-36psi, rear-38psi.

Bike
    None any more
    Update: Angels worn out (well, the rear spectacularly so). ContiRoad Attack 2s being fitted, 190/50 going on the rear for something a bit different.

Bike
    2009 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Update: Angels worn out (well, the rear spectacularly so). ContiRoad Attack 2s being fitted, 190/50 going on the rear for something a bit different.
    Interested to hear that you went for the 190/50 - that would certainly give you a very stable bike, and one that is easy on the rear tyre - larger zenith area etc.
    Keep us all posted on how it steers with the 190/50 on it ? it could turn a little slower . . . . . . . . . .

Bike
    2013 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxxa View Post
    5k on the Conti 2 now. only now starting to show some wear on the rear tyre, that 'squaring off' of the centre of the tyre that you get. Tread still at 4mm. Got caught in heavy and consistant rain a week ago when I was out of town. tyres felt fine in the wet, no loss of confidence there. Pressures: front-36psi, rear-38psi.
    6k now and no diffference between 5k and 6k. Tyres going well!

Bike
    2013 Yamaha MT-09
    7000 kilometers

Bike
    2003 SV1000K3 Suzuki

Conti Attack 2

Just changed my rear Conti Road Attack 2. 9000 Kms. Mainly touring and commuting. Tyre was great in all conditions wet or dry, but is now shot . Front still ok . Bit dissapointed with the wear rate expected more but was about the same as the Conti road Attack I had previously. I wont fit them again instead Ill go back to Mich Pilot road Ct2s better wear rate!

Bike
    None any more
    I'd love to be wearing out my Road Attack 2s. Hopefully in about two weeks' time... or less.

Thread Information