Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming over to NZ in February, would love some tips

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    This is the land of the long winding road. Compared to the weather you have had this winter it's balmy. Touring is one of the great joys here so, maybe think of a dual purpose bike or sports tourer. Opening up a big sports bike is always going to be a gamble. Make sure your here in time to go to Paeroa

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Come on guys, he's a 19yo knee-down R6 rider - a dual purpose or sports tourer? Come on!

Jan, if you have an R6, and like knee-down riding, then get an R6/R1 while you're here. It will do everything you ask of it, and will tour and race and hoon around just fine.

There's plenty for sale on here >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...24=0&51=0&51=0

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    There's no point going to the South South Island for motorcycling.
    Yep, motorcycling down here is terrible. Less traffic, less police, great roads around the west coast, Otago, Nelson, Golden Bay...

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Yep, motorcycling down here is terrible. Less traffic, less police, great roads around the west coast, Otago, Nelson, Golden Bay...
    South of Christchurch on the East coast IS pretty terrible as I recall...milliion mile straights that can put you to sleep....as a mate of mine discovered once when he came to the end of one such and failed to take the gentle left hand curve at the end...

Try the Ashley Gorge area...I had lots of fun there a million years ago...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Come on guys, he's a 19yo knee-down R6 rider - a dual purpose or sports tourer? Come on!

Jan, if you have an R6, and like knee-down riding, then get an R6/R1 while you're here. It will do everything you ask of it, and will tour and race and hoon around just fine.

There's plenty for sale on here >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...24=0&51=0&51=0
    Ok, I'm biased, can't get my knee down or pop a wheelie. If an R1 can be ridden round the world then it would be tickety boo here. I just like comfy seats & the occasional gravel road foray. We got tarmac, gravel (often on the tarmac), corners that will make you weep with joy & bugger all motorways. Despite some impressions, I reckon the weather here is better than northern Europe pretty much everywhere.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    South of Christchurch on the East coast IS pretty terrible as I recall...milliion mile straights that can put you to sleep....as a mate of mine discovered once when he came to the end of one such and failed to take the gentle left hand curve at the end...
    We're equal opportunity down here, we had that road installed for the cruiser riders. The rest of the South Island's sealed roads are sportsbike heaven. But don't tell anyone.

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Only Christcurch to Oamaru.. rest is okay

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    i said South South Island. Aka Stewart Island.....

Bike
    GSXR1000
    i said South South Island. Aka Stewart Island.....
    Ah I missed that...

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by jan:) View Post

dear kiwibikers,
    my name is jan, i´m 19 years old and i momentarily live in berlin, germany, which is going to change soon, as it seems, because i received a letter of confirmation from victoria university in wellington offering me a college place for biomedical sciences.
    so i´m actually preparing everything, visas and even x-rays, good-conduct certificates and so forth for ur suspicious embassy, to be able to start studying, coming over to nz, in february 2011...or maybe directly after new years eve, so i can get used to the new environment and stuff, before starting to study
    u might aks urself what all this has to do with motorcycling
    ...its simple. i love motorcycling, i ride an incredible r6, with the meanest exhaust and carbon everywhere, steering damper, oh god just everything i spent so miuch time and money too for that thing, whatever...so when i´ll be gone my brother will take her over...
    which leads me to the question what im gonna drive in nz?!

what would you guys recommend? im a little concerned, because of the strong winds in wellington; are the winds that strong that, say if ur riding a nice curve hanging off, knee on the ground, and the wind "kicks in" unexpectedly, could that make u fall?
    could one say, that the wind in nz actually makes motorcycling more dangerous?

and if that is so, do u guys ride supersport motorcycles a lot, or do u prefer nakes bikes, enduros, choppers and so forth?

what kind of motorcycle would u say is the best for new zealand?

i was privately hoping to get myself an r1; are their streets at all where one could use the full power of an r1 for at least 1 or 2 gears, like just enjoying accelaration at full throttle?

what about the weather? in germany, we have this term "motorcycle season", which is most typcally, summer when is the best time to go motorcycling in nz, and do u have a time of the year with only very very little rain so that one could head out and explore newzealand by bike?. that must be so amazing

i´m so excited, looking forward to it so much =) not just the biking, more living in newzealand in general

so yeah, i´d be glad to get some good advice, thank you and i´m sorry for registrating to your kiwibiker-forum without living in nz, or being a kiwi myself...couldnt wait ;P
    but if thats any excuse : i know some very kind kiwis =)
    The authorities in New Zealand believe that speed kills.
    And they get their social skills from your Mr. Hitler

Bike
    2006, Yamaha, R6
    whats a gore girl?

thank u all very much

Bike
    SV650
    Gore girl= A girl from a town called gore.(Most have 6 fingers and toes) Dodgy

Anyway I moved over here over a year ago now and bought a Daytona 675 when I arrived. Then spent about 2 months just travelling
    around the north island on every type of road. Some days doing up to 800k's so if your used to an R6 Id say go with an R6/R1.
    Some really nice twisty roads around that can be fun without going stupid on speed wise. And track days are super cheap here compared
    to europe.
    K Ryan #119
    supported by
    Motodynamix, One tonne apparel, Pirelli, EBC brakes, AGV, Clover, RST, EK Chains, Repsol
    Thanks for your support

Bike
    2006, Yamaha, R6
    haha okay thanks, i think id rather skip the gore girl experience

where did u live before u came over to nz, racerhead? australia?
    ..how would u describe the weather in nz, compared to europe? still cant picture it :/

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by jan:) View Post
    haha okay thanks, i think id rather skip the gore girl experience

where did u live before u came over to nz, racerhead? australia?
    ..how would u describe the weather in nz, compared to europe? still cant picture it :/
    I live in the Bay of Islands, north North Island. We had no rain for 6 months this summer. Admittedly that is unusual but always more sunshine than rain. We only get 1 or 2 frosts up here in the winter but wind & rain. At the moment the south island has had huge rain which turned to snow a couple of days later. It was 23oC up here yesterday. I guess you could say NZ has all the weather.

Bike
    SV650
    Lived in Ireland

Depends on what part of New Zealand you live in. I was in New Plymouth for the end of last summer and all winter and found it very similar
    to home and then for this summer and half of winter Im living in Whitianga which is a few hundred k's north of NP and so far I find it very mild.
    Ive been wearing shorts and a t-shirt to work since I got up here and only starting to find it cold now.
    K Ryan #119
    supported by
    Motodynamix, One tonne apparel, Pirelli, EBC brakes, AGV, Clover, RST, EK Chains, Repsol
    Thanks for your support

Thread Information