Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Californians need advice

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Serafina View Post
    You ride on the left side, correct? That'll take some getting used to...

!
    unfortuntaely it can't take 'some' getting used to - there are multiple events here in recent memory where tourists used to riding/driving on the RH side have been killed/have killed unsuspecting riders/motorists as they forgot what side they had to be on.

please don't be the next ones (although if you're not here til January you won't be)

Bike
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    unfortuntaely it can't take 'some' getting used to - there are multiple events here in recent memory where tourists used to riding/driving on the RH side have been killed/have killed unsuspecting riders/motorists as they forgot what side they had to be on.
    Good point, though I really just meant "getting used to" as in it'll feel really weird for a while first. I'll definitely be thinking about it constantly, as well as all the other traffic rules that will be flipped from what I'm used to. I have to watch for people turning right in front of me at an intersection, for example.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    And filtering/lanesplitting is really only going to be relevant in rush hour Auckland (and maybe Wellington) traffic. NZ land mass = 167000km2 & 4 million people, California = 260000km2 & 37 million.....more people live in LA than all of NZ.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    i've driven heaps in US and Europe - the LH and RH intersection turns are probably the hardest to get used to - I always remember it in the US/Europe - turn left-turn long, turn right-turn tight. It's the opposite here!

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Allow equal time for both islands. While I'd be happy to tell you the South Island is the better place to be, you really need to see both to be able to judge for yourselves. If you'd like some sensible tips on what to see and where just drop me a PM. We'd also be able to meet up with you and show you around our locality in the top of the South Island, depending on your travel dates. I'd advise you to run over our local Road Code and always be prepared for rain. Enjoy.

Bike
    Ducatis
    "Ooh, good to know. What does a "free turn" marking look like? Or is it obvious?"[/QUOTE]

A "Free left" turn is usually given its own lane and marked with a "give way" sign. Turning traffic gives way to pedestrians crossing the road you are turning on to.
    Last edited by Wannabiker; 21st May 2010 at 07:03. Reason: Didnt quote properly

Bike
    Blog Entries
    and you CAN'T use a red light as a give way (so that would be a kerb-crawling left turn - like a kerb crawl RH turn in Cali.) Red light is stop.

Bike
    None at the moment
    I am still of the belief that the roads over there are terrible....Great tarmac but boring as hell....well I guess thats the midwest....I never got to drive up the Pacific coast...thats next trip...

Anyways have a great time over here when ya get here

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    The people here are great too....most of us are a friendly bunch, and we dont pack heat....I am sure there would be many people on KB that would be willing to put you up for a night or two on your travels, and if you ever need a place to stay in Kapiti then my wife and I would be only too keen to let you guys use the spare room (-: (oh, it aint a trailer home btw)
    Yup - come to Kapiti and you will get treated nice... Stay at Brens but we do a mean BBQ and Raumati South is the place to hang out foe cafe's and artiste's... (if you are a hopeless romantic, rudderless hippie, retired circus freak, goat botherer or Llama breeder)

Hell, if the weathers nice we will send you out in the kayaks for a fish... (you catch it you clean it rules apply)

Bike
    Various things
    And thanks for the buyback offer - which dealership do you work at? I might PM you if/when we get to that point.
    I'm at Wellington Motorcycles. www.motorcycle.co.nz pmcdonald@wmcc.co.nz

Pete

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Yup - come to Kapiti and you will get treated nice... Stay at Brens but we do a mean BBQ and Raumati South is the place to hang out foe cafe's and artiste's... (if you are a hopeless romantic, rudderless hippie, retired circus freak, goat botherer or Llama breeder)

Hell, if the weathers nice we will send you out in the kayaks for a fish... (you catch it you clean it rules apply)
    What he said, can't beat the coast

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    What does a "free turn" marking look like? Or is it obvious?
    Usually, they are marked as 'Free Turn' or 'Give Way' and are seperated from the straight through lane/s by use of what we call traffic islands (curbed, raised areas).

People here have just as much trouble understanding the splitting laws. This practice is covered by the rules governing overtaking. Which say you may pass the vehicle in front of you if...
    You are allowed to cross the lane marking into the oncoming lane (not allowed when a yellow line is used for the lane marking)
    There is a clear lane on the right (on a multi-lane road)
    There is sufficient room on the right between the vehicle you are passing and the lane marking (known as lane-sharing)
    There is at least 100m clear road in front throughout the manoeuvre

What goes 'wrong' here is that some riders pass on the left side of the lane , or at too great a speed differential or when the traffic is moving at more than 60kph (I think - there will be a tolerance by the cops on an acceptable speed).
    Probably much the same situation as you have in CA?

I too extend a welcome to stay at ours if needed. We are on the east coast of the North Island.
    Last edited by MSTRS; 21st May 2010 at 09:33.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y
    Ooh, good to know. What does a "free turn" marking look like? Or is it obvious?
    Yeah, it's just written as a give way. Pretty straight-forward. You will know when you are at one. If it does'nt say you can then it's not a free turn. They are pretty far and few between, because drivers here struggle enough without adding in such a sensible idea!

Edit. What MSTRS said is probably clearer.
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    I am still of the belief that the roads over there are terrible....Great tarmac but boring as hell....well I guess thats the midwest....I never got to drive up the Pacific coast...thats next trip...

Anyways have a great time over here when ya get here
    Driving from Monument Valley down through Az to Phoenix was an awesome trip. Yes roads were hella straight for the most part, but def not boring.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Comparing Mid west/desert area roads with the West Coast and Appalachians, is like comparing the Canterbury plains with the Coro loop......
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Thread Information