Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1Tonne All Season Explorer Jacket

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Yip some good gear a sharp prices by the look.
    Liking the Advanced Touring Boots @ $145.00

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    Thats nice to know about the liners, dririder seem to have made theirs out of unobtainium.
    xl then cause if I breathe in its 105 and I'd prefer a bit of space

Bike
    Victory Vegas 8 Ball
    Got to give props to 1tonne. I got a black hawk leather jacket and have been riding solidly with it for well over a year now. It's broken in sweet and is a solid, well fitting piece of kit. Very happy with it.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    I've had my high vis 1tonne jacket and trousers for about 18 months now. Still looks good and is comfortable.
    However no longer waterproof, probably not even shower proof. 20 minute trip home tonight after the rain had eased.

Soaking at both elbows, behind both knees, and across the belly. Seems the waterproof liner doesn't stand up to the stretching and bending around joints; no idea why the water at the belly as it's too high for coming in the joint between the 2 items. Also the top popper has come off.

Not up to the longevity of the cheaper end kit I've had in the past. I think I will go for goretx at next purchase. Prefer to stop the water getting in than letting it soak the jacket and then just prevent it going through with an internal waterproof lining.
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    2002 SV650S
    Quote Originally Posted by bluninja View Post
    Prefer to stop the water getting in than letting it soak the jacket and then just prevent it going through with an internal waterproof lining.

One thing you can do to help with this is throw it in the wash with "Nikwax Tec Wash" then spray or wash through with "Nikwax Tx Direct" . Ive done this with numerous cheap and expensive motorcycle jackets/pants and it reduces water soaking/pooling into the clothing as well as repels it in the first place. Try some out on your hand then run it under the tap and you'll see the effects (water is repelled off your hand/skin). I do it with all of my "waterproof" gear .They have a wax you can wipe onto leathers which does the same thing. Have tested these products over a few years and they definitely help,you will need to reapply them regularly though just to maintain the protection (even if you own a goretex jacket as you still need to keep the repelling action working)
    Kiwi Biker - Keeping you up with the latest gossip...no matter where you are
    signaturepics/sigpic12191_4.gif

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    i bought a pair of 1 tonne motorcycle sports pants a few weeks ago, i do think that all these manufacturers need to remove "100%" waterproof from their advertising as i can assure you they are not,as i found out travling back home from the brass,although i only got damp i was riding the wing and not the zzr which i would say i would have been soaked, having said that my jacket also let the water in, they are very warm tho and i would still purchase a jacket at a later date and the gloves i bought at the same time held the water out for a long time and my hands were only slightly damp on arriving home.
    one other thing 1Tonne, if you are going to supply different leg lenghts it would be help ful to put the measurements on your website, i searched and could not find them and being a bit disorganised needed to get the order in quickly so i could have them for the brass. that said the service was extremely quick with the pants and gloves arriving within 4 days, overall a thumbs up

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

Thumbs up

Thought I would dump my two cents here on this jacket being I have one that is more than well used to say the least.

I bought a fluro version just on a year ago. It's used daily, and I mean daily, for work commutes. When not commuting, we're out cruising about or full on touring. In the last year we have covered 22oooK's all done whilst wearing this jacket. These K's have been done on a sport tourer and now my cruiser.

The jacket has been through sun, wind, rain, hail, gale force winds and snow. It has been well used and looks a bit worse for wear due to bug splatter and road grime. Everything still works!!! The waterproofing is still good except at the elbows, where it does leak, but what do you expect after all that movement? not bad in my view. (Might be an opportunity to improve this area, perhaps double layer, glued???)

The winter liner is cracker keeping you warm as is the rain liner at keeping the water out. The huge zipped vents on the arms and chest are an absolute bonus on hot summer days. (and do a great job trapping the odd Wasp too, lol)

All the zips, velco, adjusters and buttons still work. One zipper has broken the top section of zipper handle but is still functional. The 'cut' of the jacket is good but not as good as it could be. I do find the chest area is not as form fitting as it should (two mates jackets have the same issue too) This allows air to circulate around your front chest area, great in summer, can be bit chilly in winter at times and can be darn uncomfortable cos of this cold flow (I tend to stop and get a paper to sit across there to resolve the issue).

The only real improvement I would ask for (if your reading this Nathan) is rear zippers on the back to improve summer cooling.

A couple of minor grumbles. Stitching on pockets could be improved and perhaps better/stronger zipper handles(mates have issues with broken ones). Finally, improve the 'cut' around the chest area to stop the cold air circulating issue.

Over all I would rate...Quality 8/10, Price 10/10, functionality 9/10, styling 7/10(cos it's a touring jacket).

If you want a good jacket that will stand up to day to day use and abuse you cannot go past one of these. It's budget wise, hardy and generally does a good job. My former jackets include dry rider, Buffalo, axiom, Spool and cheap nasty thing from TM I gave away in the end.

Just to be open and honest, I live in the Naki a couple of towns up from 1 Tonne, but have no connection with 1 Tonne except to purchase products over the years for my wife and I. Over the years we have purchased 6 pair of gloves-Winter & summer versions (all have been bang on great), Pants (Hmmm, warm but not waterproof) Boots (not bad actually, wore the soles off em like any biker does with comfy boots)

Cheers A Dub-ya

Bike
    1987 GSXR750h
    Hi Ruaphu

Thanks for the feedback. I am glad to hear it is still going strong after a lot of km's.
    If you want to fix the Waterproofing issue around the elbows, get in contact and make an appointment as we sell the replaceable waterproof liners for $50.00.
    We will see what we can do with the shape in the chest area but it can also depend on the body shape of the person as most people find that it is a good fit. We have found that when purchasing the jacket you want it to fit as snug as possible because once you take the thermal liner out and the waterproof liner out there is more space inside the chest area. If it is snug with these liners in then it will not be too loose when they are out.
    PS. There is a hidden air vent in the back of the jacket. Check up the top under the flap.

Anyway. Thanks for the feedback. You are a legend.

Cheers
    Nathan

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    I have had a 1 tonne toureing jacket & pants for 2 years...
    Still as good as the day I bought them... warm / dry..
    jackets a bit longer so yer don't get that gap between the
    jacket/pants with the rain running down yer ass..
    Jacket $140 / pants $130 I don't think yer could buy
    better for the prise..
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 1tonne View Post
    Hi Ruaphu

Thanks for the feedback. I am glad to hear it is still going strong after a lot of km's.
    If you want to fix the Waterproofing issue around the elbows, get in contact and make an appointment as we sell the replaceable waterproof liners for $50.00.
    We will see what we can do with the shape in the chest area but it can also depend on the body shape of the person as most people find that it is a good fit. We have found that when purchasing the jacket you want it to fit as snug as possible because once you take the thermal liner out and the waterproof liner out there is more space inside the chest area. If it is snug with these liners in then it will not be too loose when they are out.
    PS. There is a hidden air vent in the back of the jacket. Check up the top under the flap.

Anyway. Thanks for the feedback. You are a legend.

Cheers
    Nathan
    Cheers for taking the time to listen/read Nathan, so many don't bother. Good being able to deal directly with a kiwi designer, manufacturer, seller for a change.

Re the rain liner, will do, I'm down your way today with my wife for pants. Re the chest area, speaking with a mate commented about having domes or adjusters further up to better fit more bod's.

Found the back vent, Duh! what a clot missing that feature, it will get well used in summer.

Regards, Andrew.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Hi Nathan, that's good to know. I washed my outer with a waterproofing agent, but for me the liner now seems to leak in most places that move. Also the top popper has come off on the jacket collar. Do you sell replacements, or know where I can source them?
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    1987 GSXR750h
    Quote Originally Posted by bluninja View Post
    Hi Nathan, that's good to know. I washed my outer with a waterproofing agent, but for me the liner now seems to leak in most places that move. Also the top popper has come off on the jacket collar. Do you sell replacements, or know where I can source them?
    I do have some somewhere but I am not sure where. I will have a look for them (fingers crossed as it was a long time ago that I got them). If I find them I will PM you.
    Otherwise try a tenting or canvas (Shade sails) place.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DL 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ruaphu View Post
    Cheers for taking the time to listen/read Nathan, so many don't bother. Good being able to deal directly with a kiwi designer, manufacturer, seller for a change.

Re the rain liner, will do, I'm down your way today with my wife for pants. Re the chest area, speaking with a mate commented about having domes or adjusters further up to better fit more bod's.

Found the back vent, Duh! what a clot missing that feature, it will get well used in summer.

Regards, Andrew.
    Double Duh found the vent in mine, that'll be why it breathes so well with the liners out. It's the best jacket I've for keeping cool in the summer

Bike
    Between bikes
    Thought I'd bump this to add my 2c as well. I have asked Nathan a bunch of dumb questions about his gear lately, so really should return the favor with an (honest!) review of what I've already bought from him.

I've had an All Season Explorer for the last five months - bought it at the start of April and have used it 5 days a week since.

The features of this jacket are great. Not just great 'for the price', but great fullstop. The waterproof liner is fantastic, the venting is extensive, it has plenty of pockets, and all the adjustment needed. The vent zips are waterproof which at this price point is a happy surprise. The storm zip, main zip and flap system are totally weathertight. The armour sits in the right places and I've not had cause to test it out yet but it all looks/feels up to par (the token 'back protector' excluded). Styling wise, I actually think it looks fairly sharp for an all season textile.

Durability wise, it is wearing very very well. One rubber 'cap' fell of an arm adjustment strap, which was a 5 minute fix. Other than that, not a single issue and I anticipate it lasting for years.

I agree somewhat with the comment above about the fit being loose. I got an XL instead of a L to allow for wearing a woolen jersey underneath, yet I still find there's acres of room underneath and I can get a little breeze up my chest. That said, there is a drawstring which helps things a bit and I'd probably be fine with an L if I wasn't so lanky in the torso/arms. At the end of the day it's textile, it's gonna be a bit looser by necessity.

Minor nitpicks:
    - The waterproof liner doesn't have any sort of soft fabric underneath. Doesn't bother me cos I wear a merino neck tube anyway which covers it, but it would be a nice addition. (Hey, what about building a neck tube into the waterproof liner? There's a thought).
    - The back protector is... modest. I wear a separate back protector anyway. To be honest to get anything decent in there is going to add $$ to the cost, I find all stock back protectors to be crap.

At the end of the day these are fantastic value for money and short of spending nearly four times the amount, you're not going to beat it. I know, I shopped around, looked at 2nd hand, tried a bunch of stuff on... then I took the plunge and bought the top of the line textile from 1tonne instead, and I am glad I did. My only regret is getting the charcoal instead of the fluro colourway - originally I wanted to avoid fluro but it has grown on me

HTH all... if you are a commuter and you want a practical jacket that will keep you dry, last the distance, and leave you some $$$ in the bank, you won't find better.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Thread Information