Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete Newbie

Bike
    07 Buell XB9R

Complete Newbie

So im thinking about getting my bike license. However the only time i have been on a bike was on a dirt bike out on muriwai beach for all of about 1 min of riding.

What do people suggest for the complete newbie? Does that pre-learner license course cover everything right from scratch or are you expected to know how to ride a bike before you go?

There was some interesting reading in Zapf's which 1st bike thread...
    Paul

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Welcome Silverbug.

DRZ400SM.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    Welcome Silverbug got afew of them on my K3 at the moment

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Bike
    BMW K1200R
    If you're refering to the basic handling skills certificate, I don't know of anyone that has failed it. I'd suggest getting some tuition in combination with the basic handling skills certificate.
    I did only the certificate at Passrite to save money, but I belive it's a false economy.

Did you enjoy riding at Murawai? If so I'd think a dual sport / trail bike would be a good option for learning on. They are designed to be crash and dropped, and are road registerable.
    We're all fucked. I'm fucked. You're fucked. The whole department is fucked. It's the biggest cock-up ever. We're all completely fucked.
    -Sir Richard Mottram

Bike
    SUZUKI TR50 STREET MAGIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbug
    So im thinking about getting my bike license. However the only time i have been on a bike was on a dirt bike out on muriwai beach for all of about 1 min of riding.

What do people suggest for the complete newbie? Does that pre-learner license course cover everything right from scratch or are you expected to know how to ride a bike before you go?

A GN250 IS A GREAT LEARNER BIKE, THEY ARE EASY TO GET OFF THE MARK AND HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO GET YOU OUT OF TROUBLE , THEY CRASH WELL AND ARE CHEAP TO REPAIR AND ARE ONLY $3000 NEW AND CAN BE FINANCED , THEY HAVE A GOOD RESALE VALUE AS WELL.
    YAMAHA SR250 IS SIMILAR TO ABOVE.
    OR YOU CAN GET A 250 TRAIL BIKE LIKE AN XR

Bike
    RC46 VFR800 in yellow, VTR250, ÜberFXR

Wilkommen!

Welcome Silverbug!

Currently going through what you're planning - I'm sitting basic handling skills cert this weekend [All going well - my neck is bloody sore and head won't turn at the mo...dunno why? Had better come right!].

I'm sitting this with Doug Swanson (in the phone book), who has a nice, tame GN250 and operates in a car park on the North Shore.

Doug suits me, and is very mellow...go to the instructor/location that suits you.

You'll have a blast! Enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    V4! VFR800s sound like some sort of alien rocket-ship coming to probe all of our women and destroy our cities

Bike
    Mid 80s superbike, Mid 00s superbike
    I'd recommend Doug swanson as well, he charged me about $60ish for a lesson and the certificate. Don't quote me on that as i tend to forget stuff.

I bought a CBR250RR as they're one of the quicker 250s on the market and i didn't want to be trading up straight away, but like Mr $kid said, if you had fun on the dirt then a trail bike might be the go for you.

Welcome to the site
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Ok im coming out of my closet just this one time , I too kinda have a curvy figure which makes it worse beacuse im a guy. Well the waist kinda goes in and the bum pushes out. When I was in college the girls in my year would slap me on the arse and squeeze because apparently it is firm, tight... I wear jeans
    .....if I find this as a signature Ill hunt you down, serious, capice?

Bike
    sold it :(
    Quote Originally Posted by WINJA
    A GN250 IS A GREAT LEARNER BIKE, THEY ARE EASY TO GET OFF THE MARK AND HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO GET YOU OUT OF TROUBLE , THEY CRASH WELL AND ARE CHEAP TO REPAIR AND ARE ONLY $3000 NEW AND CAN BE FINANCED , THEY HAVE A GOOD RESALE VALUE AS WELL.
    YAMAHA SR250 IS SIMILAR TO ABOVE.
    OR YOU CAN GET A 250 TRAIL BIKE LIKE AN XR
    I'm slightly interested to hear about how they crash well.

Bike
    L1 GSXR 1000
    Mate if I where you I'd get something you can take out into a paddock and learn some bike control, ya know drifting the arse out, grabbing a hand full of the front brakes, so you can feel what a bike feels like when its out of control or about to be out of control cause you do not want to be on the road when things go pear shaped!
    Last edited by Matt Bleck; 25th May 2005 at 19:43. Reason: fucked up

Bike
    Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    I'm slightly interested to hear about how they crash well.
    So am I. But then if Winj rides, like the way he writes he would know.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    SUZUKI TR50 STREET MAGIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyryder
    So am I. But then if Winj rides, like the way he writes he would know.

Skyryder
    THERE ARE NO EXPENSIVE FAIRINGS AND ITS GOT TO BE A REAL BIG ACCIDENT FOR YOU NOT TO RIDE AWAY, I USED TO HACKSAW PART OF THE WAY THRU THE ENDS OF THE BRAKE AND CLUTCH LEVERS SO THAT ONY THE TIPS BRAKE OFF THIS WAY I CAN STILL RIDE HOME AND ALSO IT STOPS THE PERCH BREAKING.
    TRUST ME GUYS I USED TO CRASH ONCE A WEEK AT LEAST ON SCENIC DRIVE AND PIHA ROAD , MY CRASHES AROUND THOSE ROADS WOULD EXCEED 50 OR SO

Bike
    88 Yamaha FZR 250
    Quote Originally Posted by WINJA
    THERE ARE NO EXPENSIVE FAIRINGS AND ITS GOT TO BE A REAL BIG ACCIDENT FOR YOU NOT TO RIDE AWAY, I USED TO HACKSAW PART OF THE WAY THRU THE ENDS OF THE BRAKE AND CLUTCH LEVERS SO THAT ONY THE TIPS BRAKE OFF THIS WAY I CAN STILL RIDE HOME AND ALSO IT STOPS THE PERCH BREAKING.
    TRUST ME GUYS I USED TO CRASH ONCE A WEEK AT LEAST ON SCENIC DRIVE AND PIHA ROAD , MY CRASHES AROUND THOSR ROADS WOULD EXCEED 50 OD SO
    I agree, my SR250 is the same.. the worst you gonna get is bent levers or a broken mirror, costs like 50 bucks tops to fix/replace, beats a few grand for fairings And if you dont fix the fairings dam the bike looks wrecked, nothing to scratch on SRs/GNs
    You are only coming through in waves. Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying...

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbug

I don't know about in Auckland but most of the places that do the Basic Handlings Skills test also do Learn to Ride courses.

I wouldn't recomend a GN250 if you are wanting a bike that you can ride on longer trips.

Welcome to the site and let us know your progress
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    Yamaha FZ-1

Cool

Welcome to the site. The Gn250 would be good learners bike. S/be easy to fix if dropped.
    To be old & wise , you must survive being young and stupid.

Bike
    R6 & RGV250
    Hi and welcome to the site

Go and do your basic handling skills then look at trying a few bikes to see what you are most comfortable on. There's a good range out there from the sporty to the cruiser style. Good luck.
    Checkout my blog: www.wubboodesigns.com

Thread Information