Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete Newbie

Bike
    Hi and welcome

I agree with a few of the people above, Doug Swanson in the North Shore is an awesome teacher and very patient. He taught myself and my partner to ride... from the start... neither of us knew how to ride... only took 4 lessons, and the fourths lesson was the Basic Handling Skills test. I don't think you could fail this.

Dougs number if you'd like lessons from him is: 416-5096.

He only does lessons on Sundays from 8am to 2pm I believe so you'll need to call him and book a time.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some pieces are missing

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong
    "Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

mucho papoosa bueno no panocha

Bike
    07 Buell XB9R
    Quote Originally Posted by placidfemme
    Hi and welcome

I agree with a few of the people above, Doug Swanson in the North Shore is an awesome teacher and very patient. He taught myself and my partner to ride... from the start... neither of us knew how to ride... only took 4 lessons, and the fourths lesson was the Basic Handling Skills test. I don't think you could fail this.

Dougs number if you'd like lessons from him is: 416-5096.

He only does lessons on Sundays from 8am to 2pm I believe so you'll need to call him and book a time.
    Ah great, thanks guys. I'll have to give doug a call and have a chat with him.

Not looking at getting into off road riding, mainly something to work and back, and the odd trip up north. but to start with i think just work and back, untill i build up a bit of confidence etc.
    Paul

Bike
    2008 Street Bob
    Welcome to the site dude, may you have many happy miles and messages!

Like most people say a GN250 is a great 1st bike, I personally went for the GZ250 as I prefer the lower profile it has, and I think it looks nicer anyway. But each to his own, the GZ is normally about $2000 more expensive than a GN. But I'm going for my Intermediate to Full License course with Passrite this weekend so hopefully in the near future I'll be selling my GZ250. Woo Hoo! oh and welcome to the site, didn't I say that already........?
    I ride the dirt, I ride the tide
    I search the outside, search inside
    I know I'll always burn to be
    Remind me of what left this outlaw torn
    ~ The Outlaw Torn (Metallica: Load 1996)

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Depends on how tall you are (and if you liked the beach)
    I would go for a 200 to 250 cc 4-stroke dual purpose, they are really easy to ride give lots of visibility and will be happy in town on the beach or in a paddock.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    Mid 80s superbike, Mid 00s superbike
    PM me when you get your lisence if you want to try out a cbr250 to see what they're like. I bought mine as my first bike and can testify that the are expensive to crash (maybe a good thing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Ok im coming out of my closet just this one time , I too kinda have a curvy figure which makes it worse beacuse im a guy. Well the waist kinda goes in and the bum pushes out. When I was in college the girls in my year would slap me on the arse and squeeze because apparently it is firm, tight... I wear jeans
    .....if I find this as a signature Ill hunt you down, serious, capice?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I did mine BHS with John Wright. 3 hours in one hit, certificate at end. Personally I would stay away from Passrite. How they do everything in 1-2 hours scares me.

I had no experience whatsoever, having never lifted my leg over a motorcycle. 5 hours riding time and I was going into the city, 9 hours and only need to learn hill starts and having a go at the Panmure roundabout.

When I did my BHS, there was a girl that crashed the scooter, and refused to get back on... so you could sorta call it a fail, but she was still trying to take off, and just about "took off" as well...

Then I can spend the rest of my life going faster and faster...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Bikeless

Not too hard

I onli knew the basics , pretty easy test . But if you dont know how to change gears , prolly should take lessons .

Bike
    sold it :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    I did mine BHS with John Wright. 3 hours in one hit, certificate at end. Personally I would stay away from Passrite. How they do everything in 1-2 hours scares me.

I had no experience whatsoever, having never lifted my leg over a motorcycle. 5 hours riding time and I was going into the city, 9 hours and only need to learn hill starts and having a go at the Panmure roundabout.

When I did my BHS, there was a girl that crashed the scooter, and refused to get back on... so you could sorta call it a fail, but she was still trying to take off, and just about "took off" as well...

Then I can spend the rest of my life going faster and faster...
    How on earth did she manage to crash the scooter? You can only go at about 15km/h in the area that John has got set up. You'd have to try pretty hard to crash (if you could allready ride a push-bike).

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    How on earth did she manage to crash the scooter? You can only go at about 15km/h in the area that John has got set up. You'd have to try pretty hard to crash (if you could allready ride a push-bike).
    It took me a while as well to add it all together, but I think this is how it went.

First, she was 18, no clutch experience etc. The crash occurred right at the beginning when we were learning how to pull away etc. I was busy turning around manually when I saw most of the incident.

I think she was slowing to a stop, clutch in, kept the throttle open, it revved, she panicked (which is easy for a learner) and did the typical thing of pulling and releasing everything. First it revved, then she dropped the clutch, so it did a little wheelie, then somehow she managed a tiny stoppie, bit of a wheelie again, brakes and promptly fell over the left front sort of sideways.

Not really a crash, but I was glad I wasn't the first (never did end up falling tho)... she decided there was no way she was going to get back on, and wanted to have car lessons instead, which, as John said, would probably make learning a bike more difficult.

Oh, and I did about 30 behind the containers... that was about an hour in... my speed desires were already showing, except slowing for the corner was difficult...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by WINJA
    A GN250 IS A GREAT LEARNER BIKE, THEY ARE EASY TO GET OFF THE MARK AND HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO GET YOU OUT OF TROUBLE , THEY CRASH WELL AND ARE CHEAP TO REPAIR AND ARE ONLY $3000 NEW AND CAN BE FINANCED , THEY HAVE A GOOD RESALE VALUE AS WELL.
    YAMAHA SR250 IS SIMILAR TO ABOVE.
    OR YOU CAN GET A 250 TRAIL BIKE LIKE AN XR
    Bugger me WINJA a friggin sensible sorta caring post ---Youre slipping man
    Seriously though -I agree totally although Id add to that list
    cb250rs,FXR150,cb250 and sv250 -all easy bikes to ride and are goood in a carpark type off
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    God damn
    The guy down here does it in 30-45 minutes!

Bike
    2000 Suzuki Gsx 1200.
    Wellcome to the KBs site
    Allways ride to your skill level and enjoy

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    Quote Originally Posted by thehollowmen
    God damn
    The guy down here does it in 30-45 minutes!
    Isn't that the same area where the 4 month Restricted and 12 month full or something happens!? Lucky...

Thread Information