Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy and motorcycling

Bike
    Eurotrash
    Well I for one have thoroughly thought through this scenario and my choice would still be the same, I would continue to ride for as long as I felt safe/it was practical and I would expect my partner to support my decision - because we would have to already have very similar train of thought on risk assessment and of course on parenting as well, otherwise what the hell would we be doing having children together?!

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Trouble View Post
    Well I for one have thoroughly thought through this scenario and my choice would still be the same, I would continue to ride for as long as I felt safe/it was practical and I would expect my partner to support my decision - because we would have to already have very similar train of thought on risk assessment and of course on parenting as well, otherwise what the hell would we be doing having children together?!
    yes, as was mine after having considered all the possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Soul View Post
    Its hardly scare mongering- it is setting out my imagining of how a normal, intelligent, rational (i.e. not you) person would probably react to a worst case scenario - a scenario that is not hugely low on probability.

So because I set out a realistic scenario of what life would be like after a worst case scenario (tell me its not realistic), I am scare mongering? Perhaps some on this thread had not fully applied their mind to this question or considered this aspect properly- if this helps them think about all aspects more clearly, then its a good thing. At the end of the day they can still make their own decisions about it.
    Risk assessment is entirely subjective: and i guess in your wife's case high risk due to her being a learner, but in many other riders cases that risk would be much lower due to much better skills & experience.
    3 pregnancies later and I rode during all and would do so again, but I have many years riding experience and dont take undue risks (not something most blokes can understand ) and it was also not something I was doing everyday so the opportunity for injury was a lot lower. I guess you have to weigh gain vs loss, mental wellbeing means a lot to a pregnant woman and for me, being able to ride my bike occasionally gave me a vast sense of happiness.
    And yes i have been through the pain of a baby loss so believe me when i say i DO know what i am taking about in that regards.

In fact I had more risk on my pushbike out of the flow of traffic due to some idiot throwing something at me at 6am on the way to work!

ahh didn't want to get into this, but just had to say something
    And you are welcome to your opinion R-Soul, but remember its just your opinion.
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    Zooks 85 GS1100G and 84 GSX1100E
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashika View Post
    dont take undue risks (not something most blokes can understand )
    A bit late for that sort of advice now innit?
    Political correctness: a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd from the clean end.

Bike
    ducati & fzr400
    Its hardly scare mongering- it is setting out my imagining of how a normal, intelligent, rational (i.e. not you) person would probably react to a worst case scenario - a scenario that is not hugely low on probability.

So because I set out a realistic scenario of what life would be like after a worst case scenario (tell me its not realistic), I am scare mongering? Perhaps some on this thread had not fully applied their mind to this question or considered this aspect properly- if this helps them think about all aspects more clearly, then its a good thing. At the end of the day they can still make their own decisions about it.

Just wondering.... as a father is it ok for you to put your life at risk, getting on a bike with the potential to be left brain damaged, maybe dead, maybe paralysed.... and leaving your children without a father. Is that any different than a woman riding pregnant?

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubber View Post
    Ok well thats a bit too sad for me. What a bugger in all seriousness.
    not sad at all. right now, we have my brothers 3 kids with us almost full time. i have never wanted kids, i value my lifestyle too much plus i would make a shit mother. but having his 3 little shits here is the best contraception in the world. i said to mum the other week [as she is the primary caregiver and gets no thanks for it] arent you glad im not having kids? and she said yes. a year or so ago, she would be me complaining about me not having any. now, its a relief.
    if i could afford it, i would get all my baby making bits removed. as its too dear, i am instead single and quite happy to remain that.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    Eurotrash
    Kit makes a good point, I know a couple who would not travel on the same bike when their children were growing up. Their thought being should the unthinkable happen, the kids wouldn't lose both parents. Now the kids are grown she is happy to be able to ride on the back with hubby again

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    yes, as was mine after having considered all the possibilities.

Risk assessment is entirely subjective: and i guess in your wife's case high risk due to her being a learner, but in many other riders cases that risk would be much lower due to much better skills & experience.
    3 pregnancies later and I rode during all and would do so again, but I have many years riding experience and dont take undue risks (not something most blokes can understand ) and it was also not something I was doing everyday so the opportunity for injury was a lot lower. I guess you have to weigh gain vs loss, mental wellbeing means a lot to a pregnant woman and for me, being able to ride my bike occasionally gave me a vast sense of happiness.
    And yes i have been through the pain of a baby loss so believe me when i say i DO know what i am taking about in that regards.

In fact I had more risk on my pushbike out of the flow of traffic due to some idiot throwing something at me at 6am on the way to work!

ahh didn't want to get into this, but just had to say something
    And you are welcome to your opinion R-Soul, but remember its just your opinion.
    I never once said otherwise...
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by kit View Post
    Just wondering.... as a father is it ok for you to put your life at risk, getting on a bike with the potential to be left brain damaged, maybe dead, maybe paralysed.... and leaving your children without a father. Is that any different than a woman riding pregnant?
    Fair comment. I agonise over this every day, and have considered stopping.

However, ther are practical factors involved (being able to get to work for one). I have a bit of experience and dont consider myself a learner. I also dont take "undue risks' - I ride like a granny and get shredded for it by my mates.

Also the risk does not directly threaten my kids well being, and I have a LOT of life insurace (just in case).
    And the fact is that the risk will be there for life - not just 9 months. So at the end of the day, you decide about how you want to live your life - do you limit yourself for the rest of your life ad cower ina corner? I am noty sure that is how I would want to teach my kids how to live either.

I would not take kids with me on a bike, as I could not live with myself if something should happen to them. But when they are old enough - I hope that they will be confident enough in themselves to live how they want to.
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Wise words:

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by kit View Post
    Fair comment. I agonise over this every day, and have considered stopping.
    ohh fark... beter not get out of bed either... ohh shit yeah ya beter the roof might fall in...

You said further back you would not forgive the beter half if she lost a baby while riding... what about in a car crash... or if she triped over or out the door?
    IMO SFA differance between these situations, cotton wool, its over rated

ps: the tags added below are awful and unnecessary (from a dad that has lost a son)
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    06 trumpy 675, 98 monster
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    ohh fark... beter not get out of bed either... ohh shit yeah ya beter the roof might fall in...
    Dangerous by name, dangerous by nature. kidding. If you are a confident rider, riide as long as you can i think. Im sure babys enjoy it!!!! Happy mum, Happy kid.
    Putting the boot in

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    I will probably get shredded for this, but DONT DO IT!
    this is more than just your opinion, this is actually telling people what to do

I would not take kids with me on a bike, as I could not live with myself if something should happen to them. But when they are old enough - I hope that they will be confident enough in themselves to live how they want to.
    I can understand that and will have to decide how I feel about that at some point.
    Everyone will feel strongly about this I guess, and I would definately not berate any woman for deciding the risk is too great, but ultimately it comes down to how each mum-to-be feels about it, what we say probably wont really change that
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    ducati & fzr400

You said further back you would not forgive the beter half if she lost a baby while riding... what about in a car crash... or if she triped over or out the door?

ps: the tags added below are awful and unnecessary (from a dad that has lost a son)

+1 Ya can't spend your life waiting for what might or might not happen. I know being pregnant wouldn't stop me from riding, what would stop me from riding is being too bloody uncomfortable, and the urge to stop an pee all the time.....

Bike
    this is more than just your opinion, this is actually telling people what to do
    How can this possibly be interpreted as being more than my opinion?

OK - In my opinion - DONT DO IT
    (I would have thought that this was obviously my opinion? It obviously is not a factual scientific kind of answer to a factual scientific kind of question)

I can understand that and will have to decide how I feel about that at some point.
    Everyone will feel strongly about this I guess, and I would definately not berate any woman for deciding the risk is too great, but ultimately it comes down to how each mum-to-be feels about it, what we say probably wont really change that
    I think that there may be many mum-to-be's that are on the fence. If what I say (sorry, my opinion) rings true with them and/or makes them think about it in ways that they had not previously considered, then my job on this formum is done...
    Wise words:

Bike

You did not bother reading the rest of the post (on risk management) did you? Everyone has a threshold where the probability of something happening is too high, or the effect of that happening is too high. In MY OPINION, the probability and effect of a pregnant woman coming off and damaging baby and herself is past my *personal* threshold (and thankfully my wife's).

And I have no idea what you are talking about re "tags"? do you mean my signature underneath?
    Wise words:

Bike
    its pink has tassles and training wheels
    You did not bother reading the rest of the post (on risk management) did you? Everyone has a threshold where the probability of something happening is too high, or the effect of that happening is too high. In MY OPINION, the probability and effect of a pregnant woman coming off and damaging baby and herself is past my *personal* threshold (and thankfully my wife's).

And I have no idea what you are talking about re "tags"? do you mean my signature underneath?
    The tags have been removed. They were posted by other members. Pretty disguisting tags if you ask me. Makes you wonder about those who actually put them there. Hope they aren't/never become parents if they think distastefull comments like that are amusing.

Understand where are you coming from. Everyone has what they would or wouldn't consider high risk. High risk for me during my pregnancies happened to be riding my motorbike, and lifting anything heavy. That said I avoided stuff like that yet almost took a tumble down a stairway at work. Each to their own. Easy for people to say that they would forgive their wife/partner if the unthinkable happened but at the end of the day grief does strange things to some people, and they may or may not react in the way that they originally assumed that they would.

Flame away.

Thread Information