Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy and motorcycling

Bike
    1990 Honda VFR400/1979 Suzuki RM125
    To be honest I dont think I will have children, but if I was pregnant I dont think I would ride and in my opinion others shouldn't either.

It isn't about the risk to you, it is the risk to your unborn child. For sure there is risk in every day life but why not minimise the risk of hurting your baby as much as possible??

It is not about losing the parent but the risk to the child, a risk they don't have the choice to remove themselves from

And about people who smoke while pregnant etc, quoting other bad things doesn't in my mind make this bad thing any less bad

I guess studying this shit, I know all too well all the things that can go wrong.

It is my only my opinion, and while I think it im not going to go ranting and raving to people who do

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKiTtiExX View Post
    The tags have been removed. They were posted by other members. Pretty disguisting tags if you ask me. Makes you wonder about those who actually put them there. Hope they aren't/never become parents if they think distastefull comments like that are amusing.

Understand where are you coming from. Everyone has what they would or wouldn't consider high risk. High risk for me during my pregnancies happened to be riding my motorbike, and lifting anything heavy. That said I avoided stuff like that yet almost took a tumble down a stairway at work. Each to their own. Easy for people to say that they would forgive their wife/partner if the unthinkable happened but at the end of the day grief does strange things to some people, and they may or may not react in the way that they originally assumed that they would.

Flame away.
    Well said. I was honest with my wife and I think she appreciated it.

EDIT: Put i t this way: better I tell her about my potential reactions before the fact, rather than after...
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Bike
    2012 Striple
    Blog Entries
    Knuckles are draggin around here...
    best the little women don't drive, work, leave the house, eat anything from the deli - hang on ust don't eat anything you haven't prepared/grown/killed yourself LOL
    It is fine to research and have opinions, it is NOT ok to tell people what to do "don't......"
    I worked during my pregnancies and took babies to work until they started needing more stimulation than the environment would allow (around 4/5 months)
    That was my choice and my opinion - I don't think it should be applied to anyone other than myself, if someone feels they shouldn't work/drive/ride/eat salami at any point during THEIR pregnancy so be it.
    RSoul - you have some good posts but on this issue you are coming across as a prehistoric muppet : ) I am glad that you and your partner agree, but having had a baby die during pregnancy makes me respond with sadness to any husband who could predictively blame a woman for miscarrying
    yeehaaa sunshine

Bike
    R1 2003 & ST1100 1998
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Steve View Post
    Why don't you buy the Motorcycle Trader magazine, or read it online in July when its posted on their website. It can be found under the News & Reviews section where you'll find her column called Heels on Wheels ! !

Crazy Steve.
    Nice read mate, even tho as I was reading I start having "sharing morning sickens " lol.
    Congratulation to you , I didn't even know you were pregnant , I was wondering why was your tummy getting bigger last time I seeing you and why you not coming to rides any more.
    When is baby due and when is baby bath , if you busy bro we can have one at my place for you ?
    Life is not mesured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bittertwistedcute View Post
    Knuckles are draggin around here...
    best the little women don't drive, work, leave the house, eat anything from the deli - hang on ust don't eat anything you haven't prepared/grown/killed yourself LOL
    It is fine to research and have opinions, it is NOT ok to tell people what to do "don't......"
    I worked during my pregnancies and took babies to work until they started needing more stimulation than the environment would allow (around 4/5 months)
    That was my choice and my opinion - I don't think it should be applied to anyone other than myself, if someone feels they shouldn't work/drive/ride/eat salami at any point during THEIR pregnancy so be it.
    RSoul - you have some good posts but on this issue you are coming across as a prehistoric muppet : ) I am glad that you and your partner agree, but having had a baby die during pregnancy makes me respond with sadness to any husband who could predictively blame a woman for miscarrying
    I believe that your previous experience (ps my condolences) may make you very sensitive to what I was saying, and reading stuff in that I was not saying.

"Miscarriage" is not somthing that I would blame my wife for at all - nature is nature and nothing can be done about it. But intentionally putting my child in harms way when it could easily be avoided would make me question the values of the person that I chose to spend my life with.

And lets face it - nine months is but the blink of an eye in the age of the universe...
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Wise words:

Bike
    Zooks 85 GS1100G and 84 GSX1100E
    Seems a pity that when opinions are asked for, those sharing theirs are near damned for daring to have one that is out of sync with those held by the majority. Some of you ladies need to accept that some people have opinions that don't align with yours and that their reasoning behind their opinions is as valid (for them) as yours is to you.

Personally I think it is fine to ride while pregnant.. period.
    However I do acknowledge that there is an increased risk involved (as there is for riding a bike rather than catching a bus irrespective of pregnancy) and that it is up to the individuals most directly concerned (equally mother and father) to figure out whether there are any unacceptable factors involved (as determined by their own reasonable or unreasonable fears and concerns). It is them that must live with any potential consequences so it should be their criteria that they use to make their decisions (not the opinions of other people).

What is the point in attempting to justify your own views on the matter if in doing so, someone else is put under peer pressure to put themselves in a situation that their own state of mind is not naturally geared to deal with. We all have different views on the matter and no one persons views are right for other people.
    Political correctness: a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd from the clean end.

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    Quote Originally Posted by rachprice View Post
    To be honest I dont think I will have children, but if I was pregnant I dont think I would ride and in my opinion others shouldn't either.

It isn't about the risk to you, it is the risk to your unborn child. For sure there is risk in every day life but why not minimise the risk of hurting your baby as much as possible??

It is not about losing the parent but the risk to the child, a risk they don't have the choice to remove themselves from

And about people who smoke while pregnant etc, quoting other bad things doesn't in my mind make this bad thing any less bad

I guess studying this shit, I know all too well all the things that can go wrong.

It is my only my opinion, and while I think it im not going to go ranting and raving to people who do
    so you are another one telling people what they should or shouldn't do.
    Do you honestly think that pregnant women dont see a possible risk to them and their unborn child? of course there is more risk, life is all about risks. Being 40 and pregnant is risky as you probably know through your study, does it stop us doing it?? No ferkin way
    R-soul has it correct : it is about risk assessment and only the pregnant woman can decide that for themselves based on their experience and how they feel about it.

I bet the mum in the people mover who crashed into the fence 2 houses along from mine 2 days ago didn't really believe that her son would speed round the corner in the rain with her in the van either... but he did.. and they were lucky they only rolled into the fence and not into the bedroom, where a young baby was sleeping. Unlikely scenario? it happened, so no matter what we believe just being alive is risky.
    You really aren't comparing smoking with riding are you? SERIOUSLY??
    yep we can wrap ourselves up in cotton wool or we can carry on enjoying life as we see fit. Being pregnant is no reason to deny ourselves everything, ride if you feel up to it and dont if you dont. Individuals choice.

yeah I'm sure someone will say the baby doesn't have a choice, and you are correct... at this point they dont. We have to decide for them and just hope that we decide correctly, for now and the next few years
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Soul View Post
    And lets face it - nine months is but the blink of an eye in the age of the universe...
    says a non pregnant male! Pisstake! dont flame me
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashika View Post
    says a non pregnant male! Pisstake! dont flame me
    hehe my wife would flame me if she saw that...

I know it seems awfully long for her. But in the big schme of things, its not so long. At least, not compared to a lifetime of regret.

But seriously, the OP asked for our opinions. I gave mine (from a doting daddy's perspective). If people were not inteested in my views, they would not be reading this thread. So you are being a little silly criticising me for giving mine, when that is the whole intention of the thread.

There is no way that me giving reasons why I feel that way can be constued as being anything other than my opinion.

You obviously feel that riding is the right side of your personal threshold, and I dont. I have said why, and you have, well, not really given any reasons at all (except flaming me). And I appreciate that its because there aren't any reasons (except maybe happy mum, happy baby).
    Wise words:

Bike
    You are right - biking is probably a damn sight more dangerous than smoking... at least smoking allows babies to develop in a more restricted way, while a bike accident would be more likely to just stop it.

You have seen the stats spouted by ACC - 16 times more likely to have an accident, overrepresentation in fatalities and serious injuries, MOST bike accidents are from the riders loss of control, etccc, etc....

It beggars belief (for me) why you would want to make the life of your child dependent on whether a nice asian lady driving a four by four bothered to look properly before pulling out. What I am saying is that stupid, small, innocous mistakes by car drivers can have huge consequencews for bikers. When we are big, we can survive (most of) these. But when we are small, then not so much. Also (and I am not a doctor) it seems to make sense to me that when a foetus is and in the developmental stages, a small bit of damage can snowball.

yep we can wrap ourselves up in cotton wool or we can carry on enjoying life as we see fit. Being pregnant is no reason to deny ourselves everything, ride if you feel up to it and dont if you dont. Individuals choice.

yeah I'm sure someone will say the baby doesn't have a choice, and you are correct... at this point they dont. We have to decide for them and just hope that we decide correctly, for now and the next few years
    So then at what point would the risk be too great for you?
    Wise words:

Bike
    its pink has tassles and training wheels
    You are right - biking is probably a damn sight more dangerous than smoking... at least smoking allows babies to develop in a more restricted way, while a bike accident would be more likely to just stop it.
    Smoking doesn't just restrict developement, it increases the risk of SID during the first 6 months after the baby is born (boys already being higher risk than girls).

Bike
    1990 Honda VFR400/1979 Suzuki RM125
    so you are another one telling people what they should or shouldn't do.
    Do you honestly think that pregnant women dont see a possible risk to them and their unborn child? of course there is more risk, life is all about risks. Being 40 and pregnant is risky as you probably know through your study, does it stop us doing it?? No ferkin way
    R-soul has it correct : it is about risk assessment and only the pregnant woman can decide that for themselves based on their experience and how they feel about it.

I bet the mum in the people mover who crashed into the fence 2 houses along from mine 2 days ago didn't really believe that her son would speed round the corner in the rain with her in the van either... but he did.. and they were lucky they only rolled into the fence and not into the bedroom, where a young baby was sleeping. Unlikely scenario? it happened, so no matter what we believe just being alive is risky.

No Im not, like I said it is my opinion, just because i don't agree with it doesn't mean Im going to go ranting and raving at people who decide that.

I wouldn't have a child at 40 either, thats MY opinion
    No I wasn't comparing smoking to it, someone else was

In my opinion I think the risk is too great, I believe that when a woman gets pregnant she takes on a huge responsibility, everything she does affects or can affect the baby

I know being alive is risky, but why chose to do a risky activity, why increase the risk on top of regular old risk of living when you are carrying something that depends on everything you do??
    I just don't agree with it, you can and thats fine, thats your opinion, doens't mean I have to, or will change my mind.

Bike
    Honda CBR 600, Harley 1200 Custom
    OK I can't help myself.... just going to have to put my opinion.
    Well actually it is more than that
    It's my experience.
    Had three kids. Rode trial (off road for you youngsters out there) bikes back then. Found that because the body was making all my ligaments or whatever soft and stretchy, it was like I was a bag of jelly and I hardly ever rode while i was pregnant or for a few months after either, until my body tightened up.
    I didn't like the lack of control.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Mum raced karts 'till she couldn't do up her leather jacket when pregnant with my brother.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by rachprice View Post
    I wouldn't have a child at 40 either
    Well I hope life pans out the way you plan (pound to a knob a goat shit it dos'nt) You are young and have no idea whats in store for you, we never had the choice of having a sprog or 2 before the age of 40, so we took the chance... and it paid off.

You are right - biking is probably a damn sight more dangerous than smoking... at least smoking allows babies to develop in a more restricted way,
    YA FUCKING SHITTING ME... you need to do some reading pal.

Im out a here...
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Thread Information