Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy and motorcycling

Bike
    Motorcycle Trader

Pregnancy and motorcycling

Pregnancy and motorcycling has been discussed in this forum before but if you're interested in my experiences and findings check out my column in this months issue of Motorcycle Trader News to see the recommended (the June 2010 issue).

Can anyone guess what the medical experts recommend how many weeks is too many to still be riding whilst pregnant?

What are your thoughts or experiences with pregnancy and motorcycling?

Bike
    2007 GSX1000R
    I sure wouldn't let it stop me in the early days. But would probably stop at such time that it was uncomfortable with a big belly and the tank in the way - or when the jacket wouldn't fit - or couldn't borrow a bigger one for sure. intersting thread though

Bike
    its pink has tassles and training wheels
    Soon as I found out I was pregnant both times I stopped riding immediately (5 weeks gestation onward). Being a learner rider myself and not being fully confident in my own ability to ride I chose not to put my unborn child at further risk (those who know me well enough know why). On top of that all your ligaments loosen and relax, didn't want to slip trying to shift my bike and end up straining (have fallen over quite a few times with my bike). Had to give up work due to back and hip issues so I'm guessing that avoiding my bike at the end of the day was a wise move for me personally. I stuck to brisk waddling as my daily form of exercise and keeping myself mobile (they say you need to keep mobile and fit to help make labour easier).
    Each to their own. Pregnancy and motorcycling wasn't/isn't for me.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I imagine it's similar to the choice of taking a pillion or not. But the pillion does have a choice (usually) not to ride.

Even in a cage (seatbelt issues) ... risk elements are there ... Individual choice.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    its pink has tassles and training wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post

Even in a cage (seatbelt issues) ... risk elements are there ... Individual choice.
    They have a seatbelt setup available to pregnant women (it doesn't strap across the stomach). That said you could slip over in the shower.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKiTtiExX View Post
    That said you could slip over in the shower.
    not a problem ... just have someone soft with you to land on ....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    We're 7 months gone. Riding still seems OK to me, though it does take her a little longer to get downstairs to push the button for the garage door.

I'm more concern about riding home after my forthcoming trip to see the vet

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    i will never have kids, but i would give it up for the time required if the unthinkable did happen. wouldnt want to do anything to risk it, and biking is dangerous enough without adding a baby to the mix. i would do same if i drank and smoked... quit for the health of the baby.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    gixxer 600 aka "little rie"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post

Can anyone guess what the medical experts recommend how many weeks is too many to still be riding whilst pregnant?
    ...when you can't reach the handlebars anymore?

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pregnancy and motorcycling has been discussed in this forum before but if you're interested in my experiences and findings check out my column in this months issue of Motorcycle Trader News to see the recommended (the June 2010 issue).

What are your thoughts or experiences with pregnancy and motorcycling?
    post this column of yours up, lets here what ya have to say.
    Both my sons not only rode to rallys etc but raced, the older (16months) not only beat me but lapped me... all this in mums tummy. You can arse up walking down ther drive, I watch smokers do that dirty shit right through pregnancy, that farking stinks... wana ride, then ride.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    really it comes down to how confident you are as a rider and just whether it feels ok to do.
    I think both times i stopped simply due to not being able to do up my jacket/pants anymore and finding it harder to get my legs up on the pegs... mid/late 20 weeks sometime i think, well before 30 weeks anyway. I actually felt quite relaxed on the bike most of the time, so it gave me a nice way to unwind. The racing i stopped by about 13-14 weeks both times, little too much speed for 2 of us on board and harder to move on the bike
    Though i did keep bicycling till 32 weeks both times, so still on the road, just not as fast! In fact very bloody slow by the end!
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    None any more
    I've had my waters break a couple of times out riding. I don't see why it should be any more dangerous for pregnant women, as long as they can get their protective equipment securely in place.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    post this column of yours up, lets here what ya have to say.
    Why don't you buy the Motorcycle Trader magazine, or read it online in July when its posted on their website. It can be found under the News & Reviews section where you'll find her column called Heels on Wheels ! !

Crazy Steve.

Bike
    03 Tuono Racing,MotoFXR F4,DT175
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashika View Post
    really it comes down to how confident you are as a rider and just whether it feels ok to do.
    I think both times i stopped simply due to not being able to do up my jacket/pants anymore and finding it harder to get my legs up on the pegs... mid/late 20 weeks sometime i think, well before 30 weeks anyway. I actually felt quite relaxed on the bike most of the time, so it gave me a nice way to unwind. The racing i stopped by about 13-14 weeks both times, little too much speed for 2 of us on board and harder to move on the bike
    Though i did keep bicycling till 32 weeks both times, so still on the road, just not as fast! In fact very bloody slow by the end!
    It was a long time ago! but I was the same as Rashika...when pregnant with my firstborn I rode untill 28wks when I could'nt do my jacket up anymore.

There was a plus to the extra weight tho,way easier to kick the Thumper into life(Honda XL500)
    Did stop riding off road from about 14wks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeteey View Post
    You're very welcome darling. I do maintain that you could ride a rock and it would go quick!

Bike
    CBR600F
    I stopped almost immediately. I wouldn't have been able to get my jacket done up for very long, and I'm an ATGATT kinda girl. For me, it wasn't just the possibility of harming the baby, but also the chance of doing myself an injury (such as a broken pelvis) that would make pregnancy difficult. It's only a short time, and it wasn't worth the risk to me. I fell pregnant at the same time I got my full licence though, so my 250 was sold and we didn't get me another bike until my son was almost a year old. If I were to have another child, I'd probably do the same, but be back on the bike again sooner. Each to their own though.
    "I's no' a bobike (motorbike) - i's a scooter!" - MsKABC's son, aged 2 years.

Thread Information