Thread: Youth racing vs Old timers

Bike
    Nowt any more

Youth racing vs Old timers

I am interested in views on the merits either way on including youth racing at high profile events, e.g.
    http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=40907

or having old timers racing at similar high profile events:

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchive...GP_Support.htm

Prior to 2008 they included 125GP at the Oz GP, which while not a youth class as such, attracted a majority of younger entrants.

Any insights would be welcome.

Cheers.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

"The girls were in tight dresses, just like sweets in cellophane" Joe Jackson

Bike
    kohler 150
    Blog Entries
    I guess zero replies in 3 weeks gives you the answer. Nobody gives a toss about developing youth in Road Racing!
    Not quite so in the South however, for the last 6 YEARS the SPORTZ FOTOZ CUP has run in conjunction with the South Island Cup. On the alternative years it has run as the 2nd round of Teretonga club champs, King of Levels and King of Ruapuna. It is age and experience restricted to give the 17 year olds and young ones just starting out a real chance.
    Then there is the Support Series run with the 3 SI National rounds, Again, for 6 years now and consistent big feilds, 90% of the riders teenagers. The age cut for the trophies here is also restricted, this time to 19 years old. (So the old slow ones have a chance there's a trophy for them too, is more than a few turn up)

The stats have shown these series as highly successful development classes, graduates now rapidly filling places in our premier championship classes, nationally.

The real mystery is why the northern clubs don't adopt this model, it's done everywhere overseas, costs nothing and is proven to have huge benefits

Bike
    GSXR600 k7, FXR Bucket
    Blog Entries
    Well, I really enjoyed the 125GP bikes at Hampton downs this year, but I found the 250's boring (Street Stock). Probably large part of that was there wasn't a big field - point is if you are going to have a youth class they need to be on suitable bikes for the track size - like the 125's
    Buckets Practice

Bike
    kohler 150
    Blog Entries
    Fair comment. I can't speak for Hampton Downs.
    But at Ruapuna there up to 40 on the grid, and the top ten can often be within a second a lap, slugging it out, 4 wide into corners right to the last lap. What other class in NZ is giving us such close racing on virtually identical bikes?
    When I first heard of SS being at Hampton Downs nats I thought it a bad idea, as the SS scene up there pretty well doesn't exist.
    Running a small feild of mediocre (the rider who won is ranked about 10th down here) riding would ruin a good opportunity to showcase the potential Streetstock has. The AMCC needs to get busy and build a good feild of 30 riders, under 16 years old and then they'd be humming for next year
    You must remember too, that although it's good if the spectators enjoy it, the main priority is the rider. When you were 13 years old would you find it boring at 170km/hr going 5 wide under brakes into Ruapuna's turn one? I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing I was racing like this when I was 13!

Bike
    GSXR600 k7, FXR Bucket
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oyster View Post
    ... When you were 13 years old would you find it boring at 170km/hr going 5 wide under brakes into Ruapuna's turn one? I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing I was racing like this when I was 13!
    When I was 13 I was cutting up the dirt in the 80cc Junior MX class - faithfully fighting for last place cause I was (and probably still am) a woos. So yeah, if the fields were bigger it would probably be way more entertaining - I hope the HD numbers grow next time around.
    Buckets Practice

Bike
    BMW
    Why do you have to give them the redline report in the pits every five minutes? There always seems to be a 125 parked next to us in the pits and when you trying to listen to something a keen father is revving the shit out of it on the stand, at the nats there was a guy with a ridiculously loud classic that I dont even think he was there to race it just to rev the shit out of it in the pits anyway........

I have watched both the oz 125s and the oz classics and the oz classics are actually pretty cool as are the 125s, in NZ the classics are boring so id rather watch 125s but they are dying so they need to be replaced with something that is cool, not street stock cause those bikes are old and your not gonna get any MX riders coming to ride them, the 250 streetstock class is too slow.

What are those Moriwaki 250s like?

Bike
    2011 yz450f
    they are good but I think they are quite expensive at the momment aye,

125's can still be run its just we need a new breed of riders to upgrade to them as alot of this years guys have gone 600
    Blindspott are back as Blacklist check them out
    www.blacklistmusicnz.co.nz

Bike
    GSXR600 k7, FXR Bucket
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    ...What are those Moriwaki 250s like?
    What a 12 year all thinks

Buckets Practice

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    EDIT: I've gotta agree with Choppa, not many 15year old's are gonna be impressed with a Streestock bike after roosting around on an RM125 or sampling Dad's CRF450.

I'm thinking classic bikes (proper classic's, not FZR's, GSXR's) would get more people through the gates at a high profile meeting, and hopefully increasing bike racing's non-existent profile. The youngsters would benefit from the improved profile by actually having some exposure to offer a prospective sponsor as they progress.

I can see folks drivng from say Wellington to Manfeild to see a decent classic field, but I can't see 'em doing the same for the streetstock class no matter how close the racing is.

As much as I'd like to see another Stroud, Crafar or Slight created the sport as a whole desperately needs more exposure, which benefits everyone.

Note: these comments only refer to big meetings, not club racing which I see as the real breeding ground for our youngsters.

Bike
    gsxr1000
    Blog Entries
    you are a junior mx poof ya should b use to that horid noise
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    Why do you have to give them the redline report in the pits every five minutes? There always seems to be a 125 parked next to us in the pits and when you trying to listen to something a keen father is revving the shit out of it on the stand, at the nats there was a guy with a ridiculously loud classic that I dont even think he was there to race it just to rev the shit out of it in the pits anyway........

I have watched both the oz 125s and the oz classics and the oz classics are actually pretty cool as are the 125s, in NZ the classics are boring so id rather watch 125s but they are dying so they need to be replaced with something that is cool, not street stock cause those bikes are old and your not gonna get any MX riders coming to ride them, the 250 streetstock class is too slow.

What are those Moriwaki 250s like?

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by gixerracer View Post
    you are a junior mx poof ya should b use to that horid noise
    Dear Mr Shirriffs,

The sooner you learn how to string a coherent sentence together, the sooner someone may look at providing you a half decent bike to race. Thus increasing your chances of perhaps winning something one day.

Lots of love.

Jimmy
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    06 ktm superduke
    Dear Mr Trash,
    (May I call you White?)
    Both Craig (with his ultra-concise statements) and your own humble self involuntarily cause me to lose control of my vocal chords frequently, resulting in loud laughter and related noises.
    Keep up the good work.
    Kind regards, ktm

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm View Post
    Dear Mr Trash,
    (May I call you White?)
    Both Craig (with his ultra-concise statements) and your own humble self involuntarily cause me to lose control of my vocal chords frequently, resulting in loud laughter and related noises.
    Keep up the good work.
    Kind regards, ktm
    Haha, Craig just calls it like he see's it.....that lazy eye and nervous twitch kinda distort things but ya can't tell him that.

As for Jimmy......er, White.....weeeell, I'd be disappointed if a bloke with 6 fingers wasn't a good stirrer.

Thread Information