Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling computer experts.

Bike
    Out of control Firestorm

Calling computer experts.

Noticing lately that Windows Live Mail is downloading a shit of emails from the Hotmail Postmaster saying these emails ccouldn't be sent. Now I didn't send these in the first place and the address's they're being sent to are random.

Now I suspect that my computer might be hacked or some bloody virus but at the moment my Virus program doesn't pick up anything. I use NOD32

Anyone know a way to fix this?
    As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death
    Γύρος στη νίκη

Bike
    '18 DRZ400SM
    It's Spam. Ignore it.
    "It would be spiteful, to put jellyfish in a trifle."
    \m/ o.o \m/

Bike
    '07 Suzuki SV1000/S
    Define shit loads? Also are these unable to be sent emails claiming to come from your own email address?

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    Noticing lately that Windows Live Mail is downloading a shit of emails from the Hotmail Postmaster saying these emails ccouldn't be sent. Now I didn't send these in the first place and the address's they're being sent to are random.

Now I suspect that my computer might be hacked or some bloody virus but at the moment my Virus program doesn't pick up anything. I use NOD32

Anyone know a way to fix this?
    I had the same thing during the week. Received some postmaster failures and several emails from concerned friends... Running MSE and it didn't pick up a thing. Changed my email password instead... about all i could do really.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    This sounds like someone is sending spam using your email address to "legitimise" it. But since they are hitting a lot of fake addresses the mail servers are responding saying "no such address" or similar. And since they are using your email address, it all gets returned to your inbox.

SO you don't have a virus, just somone has gotten your email address somewhere (maybe off a forum like here, or you've signed up to some site that's not 100% above board).

Pretty much nothing you can do about it now.
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Someone who has you in their addressbook has a virus. Any service or product with the words "msn" or "windows" in it is heavily targetted by virus writers.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    If the email appears to have come from you, the most likely scenario is that someone is using your email address to send emails (and this can be done without logging into your emails as you).

As said, pretty much nothing can be done, unless you change your email address.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Ducati 900ss The Guido Torpedo
    Someone has cloned your email address to send out spam. When their message is hitting a non existant email address, the legitimate email account holder (you) is getting the bounce message. To be sure that your email account hasn't been hacked then check your sent box for stuff that you didn't send. I'm 99% sure that they haven't hacked your email though.

Theres shit you can do about it. If you do have email you don't recognise in your sent box then simply change your password. I own an IT company, I've seen this from time to time.
    Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire. -Samuel Johnson

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    The spammers know the hardest bit is to get YOU to open spam. So they send you a "bounce" message. And you open it to see what bounced. Plus, you spam filter will not usually be set up to send bounce messages to the spam folder. Job Done for the spammer.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    What type of email address do you have - hotmail, gmail, yahoo, XTRA? Have you logged onto a free or cafe wireless recently? Change your password to be safe.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanity_rules View Post
    Someone has cloned your email address to send out spam. When their message is hitting a non existant email address, the legitimate email account holder (you) is getting the bounce message. To be sure that your email account hasn't been hacked then check your sent box for stuff that you didn't send. I'm 99% sure that they haven't hacked your email though.

Theres shit you can do about it. If you do have email you don't recognise in your sent box then simply change your password. I own an IT company, I've seen this from time to time.
    What do you mean, cloned? I can send mail from JK if I really wanted to (spoofing), it just won't come from his account and like you say he'll get failed messages returned to his email... I was more concerned that my account had been hacked, because the emails were sent to friends, family and businesses... for me it's odd because I don't maintain a contacts list, which means that my account has, at least, been scraped for email addresses... even more of a concern would be that someone hacked my email account and downloaded the contents of one or more folders... the downside is I'll never know what's been taken and will just have to wait til some fuckwit tries it again or clears my bank account out...
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    [..] it's odd because I don't maintain a contacts list, which means that my account has, at least, been scraped for email addresses...
    Either that, or someone else close to you with a similar set of contacts does maintain a contact list, and they got raided.

Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    even more of a concern would be that someone hacked my email account and downloaded the contents of one or more folders... the downside is I'll never know what's been taken and will just have to wait til some fuckwit tries it again or clears my bank account out...
    Yup.

Almost all mainstream products are vulnerable. Basically it's just a matter of time until you get done, unless you can maintain a 99% up-to-date status with the latest cutting-edge tools, and that aint gunna be cheap.

Alternatively, stop using mainstream products.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Almost all mainstream products are vulnerable. Basically it's just a matter of time until you get done, unless you can maintain a 99% up-to-date status with the latest cutting-edge tools, and that aint gunna be cheap.
    Thank fuck you dont work in IT. Millions and Millions of other (normal) people manage to keep their machines up-to-date and never have an issue. You dont need cutting edge tools, and it dosnt need to be expensive.

I know you are a one trick Linux pony - but at least TRY a little to be accurate huh.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Thank fuck you dont work in IT. Millions and Millions of other (normal) people manage to keep their machines up-to-date and never have an issue. You dont need cutting edge tools, and it dosnt need to be expensive.

I know you are a one trick Linux pony - but at least TRY a little to be accurate huh.
    More rudeness and intentionally derogatory remarks from you. Thank fuck you don't breed more regularly - hateful, pointed, and targetting remarks, designed to be putdowns such as yours would just be the business to bring up little assholes who would penalise the rest of society for ever. Keep up the good work.

Funny how you are nice as pie when you have had a shit day, and times other than that you are a complete mongrel.

Steve

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    More rudeness and intentionally derogatory remarks from you. Thank fuck you don't breed more regularly - hateful, pointed, and targetting remarks, designed to be putdowns such as yours would just be the business to bring up little assholes who would penalise the rest of society for ever. Keep up the good work.

Funny how you are nice as pie when you have had a shit day, and times other than that you are a complete mongrel.

Steve
    Having a bad day sweetie??

Thread Information