Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ACC protest movement dead?

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    It is standard divide and conquer.
    They got us to jump up and down about our ACC costs and left out the bit about the cars vans etc.
    So while we were doing our protests car drivers were going "not going to effect us" and now its just to late.

we lost momentum after the bikeoi. it should have been every week until now, not lets see what happens.
    we also focused too much on us (allthough to be fare we were being hit the hardest) and while we said "who's next" we didn't get enough of the rest of NZ behind our campain by showing them what they would be paying.
    We also let the media control what was seen by the rest of NZ.

after the bikeoi we should have gone harder untill they backed down but as we do in NZ we got upset, talked about it, and just took it up the arse, and there is no point getting the nats out and labour back in as they have already said they wont change it back.

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    so why are bikers the only ones getting fired up about it? It's not like others haven't been informed, they just don't seem to care, must reckon tptb know whats best I spose.
    Apathy, pure and simple, combine that with ignorance and hey presto no reaction. The bikers were slammed hard deliberatly to get a huge reaction. This was so big it overshadowed all the other changes to a degree, people saw us complaining and protesting and did not investigate any changes that were affecting themselves. Then they reduced our increases hoping that would be the end of it. I really hope it is not the end of it. Even the unions had trouble mustering a BIG protest in Wellington, despite paying for advertising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Apathy, pure and simple, combine that with ignorance and hey presto no reaction. The bikers were slammed hard deliberatly to get a huge reaction. This was so big it overshadowed all the other changes to a degree, people saw us complaining and protesting and did not investigate any changes that were affecting themselves. Then they reduced our increases hoping that would be the end of it. I really hope it is not the end of it. Even the unions had trouble mustering a BIG protest in Wellington, despite paying for advertising.
    Yes I think you are right, were NZ'rs always this apathetic? One of the annoying things is your average worker has been hit with a bigger increase than the bike rego (iirc), still they do nothing about it. The union protest was pathetic, ntohing against the organisers, just the lazy fuckers who didn't show up, us bikers who basically only came to rubberneck just about outnumbered the unionists.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Yes I think you are right, were NZ'rs always this apathetic? One of the annoying things is your average worker has been hit with a bigger increase than the bike rego (iirc), still they do nothing about it. The union protest was pathetic, ntohing against the organisers, just the lazy fuckers who didn't show up, us bikers who basically only came to rubberneck just about outnumbered the unionists.
    I believe there was some 300 of us, but only some 50 unionists.
    It was a sad joke...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    I believe there was some 300 of us, but only some 50 unionists.
    It was a sad joke...
    Wasn't worth the days annual leave it cost me to outnumber the unionists. won't be relying on them for anything in the future.

Bike
    2010 Hyosung ST7
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
    Wasn't worth the days annual leave it cost me to outnumber the unionists. won't be relying on them for anything in the future.
    Must admit that was a shit poor show by those guys. Never really got to the bottom of why there numbers were so small.

Look, it is tough but surley we must carry on. IMO we need to be seen as the flag bearers for all New Zealanders and that has been the focus of the last couple of rides. The BRONZ meet at the weekend was an attempt at rarking some numbers (and for that there should be a measure of credit) but the effect is still not getting through.

The 'divide and conquer' comment made earlier is so true. We are fighhting spin docters here who are good at turning things to their advantage, ie bikers bickering between themselves etc etc, that is primo ammunition for these people.

So, unite as a community, not a club, organisation, gang or whatever, a COMMUNITY. Get some media involved and push the 'We Are Here For All NZ'ers' and spread the message as to how we are all getting it up the jacksy. Jeez I know it is a romantic thought, can you imagine all bikers joining up with the country behind us, co-ordinated protests across all the main centres. Letters to every MP, lobbying local and national government, chipping in and getting a full page ad in the main newspapers, FFS starting a political party ($500 fee and some signatures)........

I for one am still with this action. I believe in ACC being put right because it needs to be so, that way I know my boy will be ok when he grows up. The system belongs to the people of this great country, thats right kiddywinks, you and me....about time we went and got it back....

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    I agree with everything you say, what leaves me puzzled is how some of the other fringe causes manage to get big money suport tv and print adverts etc.
    What we need is to tap into the people who have the resources but i don't know who they are.

We need a new post "Underwriter required for protest campaign."

Bike
    2010 Hyosung ST7
    Blog Entries
    True, it really is who you know in that regard. There must be people who know media bods...at the very least the name and office location of someome we can hassle the shite out of.

Its momentum, thats the key. Something visual that spreads the message, something that the COMMUNITY could wear I suppose, some kind of symbolism. The target with the bike was great, maybe we swap the bike for a map of NZ. Kiwis sit up when they see the country represented especially if there is a threat aimed at it.

I dunno, just spouting ideas, the guys and gals I have been involved with are brilliant, none of us want to give up, its just battle plans need to be looked at.

At the end of the day, I do not want to see bikers divided over this, our great community needs to stay strong, we will never 100% agree with every little thing that is said or written, but at the very least be a single unit.

Thats my take on it peeps......cant we just all get along....?

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil View Post
    Two Words Mr Poos , this says it all

NEW ZEALAND
    I change my mind...your right
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    No...your wrong....it should be political correctness and this fricken belief that everyones a winner.....its ingrained in a number of generations now...don't know how to fight to win or achieve a goal or ambition. Scared to aspire to be someone or something...because the PC brigade will try to drag you down to their lazy pitiful fucking making excuses for being lazy and thick as shit level...
    Bloody hell Poos I agree with every single word
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Personally Im still extremely pissed off at the heavy handed fashion in which this was done...

However - I'm not sure the protests were very effective. I mean seriously do you think Dr Nick really gives a shit about bikers other than we were a great smoke screen for cars and vans?

Sadly, many people would only be too happy to see open piped cruisers and over fast sports bikes off the road as their experience of them has been 100% negative. I'd like to see some ads or publicity relating to shit people do understand... I dunno, pictures of iconic motorcycle faces like Burt Munro, John Brittan, and others with a theme that under a national govt ACC scheme there would never have been a Burt Munro

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    ... a great smoke screen for cars and vans?
    Wasn't for any want on our part to 'educate' the masses. No big money for advertisements and denied affective, realistic coverage in the media...we really were up against it. As witness a letter in our paper last night...some poor SUV owner shocked at how much his rego is now. He reckons it's totally unfair and suggests 'everyone' should get in touch with their MP etc to complain.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Here's that letter and my response
    Re John Montgomerie (letter 6.7) and his angst over the ACC levy on his diesel ute. Petrol carries a 9.9c/litre levy at the pump, but not so with diesel, and ACC want their pound of flesh. This goes some way towards explaining the extra hike.
    JM registers shock - why, I don’t know. The actual amount is certainly extreme, but it’s not like there was no warning.
    Motorcyclists were faced with a $500 increase, which we protested about and it was reduced to $175. We also tried to educate the public with the Who’s Next campaign. Mike Noon of the AA refused to accept a $100 increase for cars, and being the frontman for a powerful lobby group, got their increase reduced to $30. Proof that numbers talk.
    Despite all the rhetoric, ACC is not broke and never was. Not even close. Yet it was on this premise that levies have been raised in all areas of collection. This, and the separating of vehicles into various sub-groups with varying levies. Smaller sub-classes reduce the voice of the affected.
    Motorcyclists warned the country of this while it was still just a proposal, but very few were listening.
    Be warned, this will all happen again next year. The greed of this government and it’s cashcow knows no bounds.
    Are you listening now?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	letter.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	568.6 KB 
ID:	212310  

Bike
    gsf600s k2
    Some of us don't have that option (public parking, etc), and those the do take that way out mean revenue goes down, but expenses stay the same, I'm guessing they'll put up the rego's for those still paying to compensate in a few years. And put up the fine for no reg even sooner.
    cop out excuses, you do have that option.

Bike
    Ducati V4S Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I lost the best part of a years income fighting ACC, and like everyone keeps facing price increases in so many areas.... food, petrol, everything... and now interest rates creep up + emission taxes to boot. Competitive market my arsebiscuit.

Yes more action needs to be taken and votes cast accordingly. Otherwise we are nothing but a cash squeezed doormat.

Oh and nice pay rise for the MP's again. Where's mine?

Thread Information