Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: GSXR400/1135 hybrid race bike '80s

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Is it the twin barrelled carb model or the std looking carbs.
    Cause if its the std looking carbs they should be pretty cheaply available as I doubt they are model specific
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CARBURET...del%3AGSXR1100
    like these.

the best way i know of figuring out what worls is to go to the parts fiche find the part number and then do a search on that part number to see what else uses it.
    You might find it is the same part number as say a GS500 and then they are available everywhere aftermarket in the states.

Cheers for your posts, I had already ordered them through a friend at his cost, so all done now, but thanks again. The rest of your feed back I understand man, been doing the same thing for many moons now bro
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

Bike
    motocompo
    I found this, which puts my fear to rest that it may have handled like a pig.
    https://www.facebook.com/post.classi...72827293031693
    With the removable r/h lower frame tube, I will attempt to put the stripped frame on to the motor(1135 to start with) & see if it fits, as its probably easier to wield 8kg's of frame than 100kg's of engine.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I found this, which puts my fear to rest that it may have handled like a pig.
    https://www.facebook.com/post.classi...72827293031693
    With the removable r/h lower frame tube, I will attempt to put the stripped frame on to the motor(1135 to start with) & see if it fits, as its probably easier to wield 8kg's of frame than 100kg's of engine.
    It handled "Horn"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16779_871278899582855_6816038354811774550_n.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	316934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1959314_858555330855212_3285288757502729387_n.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	316935
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    motocompo
    It handled "Horn"
    Horn will be near enough for me.
    Robbie told me to put 17's on it on the weekend, he rekoned building a bike you can buy tyres for is more important than building an authentic replica.
    Seeing as it came from him I've taken that on board.

Bike
    husaberg
    Robbie told me to put 17's on it on the weekend, he rekond building a bike you can buy tyres for is mor important than building an authentic replica.
    It had a 16 on the front and a 18 on the rear by the time that you take into account the tyre widths and profile changes onto modern 17's it will have the same ground clearance. Question is what forks and wheels did the original run anyway?

Do you know what the SSX400 had 17 front and rear in 125GP/ MOTO 3 sizes anyway.

Front Tyre
    110/80-17

Rear Tyre
    130/80-17

Close enough looking if it had std wheels and the same widths or maybe wider than a GSX1100ef of the era

Koosman used to widen std GSXR wheels in the states the same way as they used to do steel car wheels here in the 70's and 80's.
    He even used to even change the sizes using different beads
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Exercycle
    The advice from Rob to use 17's is pragmatic - and realistic. Also I believe he loves the Moriwaki on 17's rather than the original 18's...

i wouldn't use Impulse rims even if they look like what was used. From memory they're 3 inch front and 3.5 rear, but more importantly the wheel bearings are too close together. On a light bike, no problem, heavy bike and they cut out quickly cos of the narrow load bearing base. Saw it frequently in the 90's when scrutineering as they were a popular wheel to use.
    At the time I'd think the original bike used the GSXR400 forks. They're 38mm stanchions and actually a pretty good fork even if they have a crude anti dive.
    My 500 kawasaki F3 bike uses those sliders on the Kawa stanchions to get twin disc fitting.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.

Robbie told me to put 17's on it on the weekend, he rekoned building a bike you can buy tyres for is more important than building an authentic replica.
    yep....I've got to know well the man who helped write the Aussie Pre 82 rules years ago. He said they allowed 17 inch wheels in to give riders a sporting chance of staying upright and not hurting themselves. His view was that 17's would give the grip to go with the motors they would inevitably build (usually first, before the chassis....)

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    The advice from Rob to use 17's is pragmatic - and realistic. Also I believe he loves the Moriwaki on 17's rather than the original 18's...

i wouldn't use Impulse rims even if they look like what was used. From memory they're 3 inch front and 3.5 rear, but more importantly the wheel bearings are too close together. On a light bike, no problem, heavy bike and they cut out quickly cos of the narrow load bearing base. Saw it frequently in the 90's when scrutineering as they were a popular wheel to use.
    At the time I'd think the original bike used the GSXR400 forks. They're 38mm stanchions and actually a pretty good fork even if they have a crude anti dive.
    My 500 kawasaki F3 bike uses those sliders on the Kawa stanchions to get twin disc fitting.
    Personally I am more concerned with Bobs bike looking right, rather than his personal safety.
    Why the heck did they use impulse wheels on other bikes (when they didn't have too) they are bloody ugly.
    Was it just because all the original impulses engines had fried their alternators?

The RG500 Had a 17 inch rear rim but it looks narrower than a Impulse as it carried a 120 tyre.

Found these GSX600-F 88-97
    Front tyre: 110/80-17
    Rear tyre: 140/80-17
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	316949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	316950
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    husaberg
    this is the air cooled bike Grumph was referring to ealier
    it had the air cooled GSX1000 donk in a works frame in 1984

Its called the XR41
    http://www.good-bits.co.uk/2015/02/s...41-gs1000r-f1/
    http://www.good-bits.co.uk/wp-conten...2/IMG_4883.jpg
    http://www.good-bits.co.uk/wp-conten...2/IMG_4883.jpg
    http://www.good-bits.co.uk/wp-conten...2/IMG_4857.jpg
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    BSA A10
    i wouldn't use Impulse rims even if they look like what was used. From memory they're 3 inch front and 3.5 rear,.
    Pretty sure the front is 2.5
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Exercycle
    Personally I am more concerned with Bobs bike looking right, rather than his personal safety.
    Why the heck did they use impulse wheels on other bikes (when they didn't have too) they are bloody ugly.
    Was it just because all the original impulses engines had fried their alternators?

The RG500 Had a 17 inch rear rim but it looks narrower than a Impulse as it carried a 120 tyre.
    It's being built for pre 89 period. marvics were pretty common here and oz in race circles anyway, by the mid 80's so a Marvic lookalike type of rim will be acceptable.
    Impulses got written off in big numbers for many reasons. 17's were not that plentiful in reasonable widths at wreckers in NZ so Impulse rims appeared on a lot of BEARS bikes among others. At any given Canty meeting in the late 80's I'd toss out at least one bike with shot wheel bearings.

this is the air cooled bike Grumph was referring to ealier
    it had the air cooled GSX1000 donk in a works frame in 1984

Its called the XR41
    wrong....The XR41's the poms raced in TTF1 had the 8V GS1000 motor in (like the picture) until F1 went 750. Then they put the GSX750 motor in for a couple of years till the GSXR750 came out. Then the bikes were sold off. In the US yoshimura used the GS1000 motor until their F1 went 750 when I believe they concentrated on Superbike till the GSXR came out. Don't know if yosh USA ever got the alloy frame at all. They raced the GSX1000 Katanas in Superbike of course.

Bike
    motocompo
    I'm very grateful for all the input & no doubt this thread will shape my decisions on what to use in the build.
    It just occurred to me that I could build it as a road legal race replica, that would probably be more fun & useable than coming 7th in pre '89, it's unlikely to get near the front runners. Although it's another rego to keep up on & I do have plenty of road bikes, oh, and race bikes.
    What a dilemma.

Bike
    husaberg
    It's being built for pre 89 period. marvics were pretty common here and oz in race circles anyway, by the mid 80's so a Marvic lookalike type of rim will be acceptable.
    Impulses got written off in big numbers for many reasons. 17's were not that plentiful in reasonable widths at wreckers in NZ so Impulse rims appeared on a lot of BEARS bikes among others. At any given Canty meeting in the late 80's I'd toss out at least one bike with shot wheel bearings.

wrong....The XR41's the poms raced in TTF1 had the 8V GS1000 motor in (like the picture) until F1 went 750. Then they put the GSX750 motor in for a couple of years till the GSXR750 came out. Then the bikes were sold off. In the US yoshimura used the GS1000 motor until their F1 went 750 when I believe they concentrated on Superbike till the GSXR came out. Don't know if yosh USA ever got the alloy frame at all. They raced the GSX1000 Katanas in Superbike of course.
    Right you are but almost certain there was a gsx powered version in (I think Japanese f1) it may have been 750 I think it may have been Suzuki rather than Yoshi but not sure I have posted a pic before somewhere.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I'm very grateful for all the input & no doubt this thread will shape my decisions on what to use in the build.
    It just occurred to me that I could build it as a road legal race replica, that would probably be more fun & useable than coming 7th in pre '89, it's unlikely to get near the front runners. Although it's another rego to keep up on & I do have plenty of road bikes, oh, and race bikes.
    What a dilemma.
    I'll get a podium finish for ya...Rossi styles!

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I'll get a podium finish for ya...Rossi styles!
    You were Jay's first pick to ride the GSX at the Barry Shorai. Can't say I was disappointed with my own choice however.

Thread Information