Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: GSXR400/1135 hybrid race bike '80s

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I don't know his reasons - but from observation, when they were proddy raced here, they hurt more good riders than anything else i've seen.
    They used to say that about Mach4s' too Grumph,but for me and mates we thought they were ok for the time..(Mach3s were called widow makers ). Keen for a ride on the RZ 500 tho. My mate only builds them,no interest in riding ?????? I was always his road tester lol.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I have a mate with one in his lounge room. 17" wheels USDs, spannies. Hes changed tack and has a reverse 3MA TZR frame. Just biding my time. . . .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Keen for a ride on the RZ 500 tho.
    I rode my brothers one Chch to Dargiville and back on tour one time, wasn't a bad bike for it but very hard to stay at legal speeds
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Exercycle
    Back to the subject of the thread. The GSX750 engine is apart. Owner says, show what's done.

It has 69.5 ART forgings - 804cc I make it. They're heavier than the 70mm Wisecos I used in a GSX400 a couple of years ago, but they would have been state of the art at the time. Rings and bores are good. One stuck valve as can be seen in the pic. Cams have no markings as to grinder and are not buildups. If they're aftermarket as previously stated, they are done from blanks. Unusual. They are also in on standard marks - without slotted sprockets. Again, unusual.

The drive setup on the alternator end is empty. Filling the hole at the top is an oil pump. My guess looking at the two blanked off holes at the front of the sump is that it was going to be used to circulate oil through a cooler. Probably found to be not needed.

Crank bearings look quite good and reusable. Probably won't split the crank. Box looks good. Clutch appears brand new. Doubt if it had much use at all.

Other than the stuck valve the only problem is one clutch cover screw broken off - bloody single use alloy capscrews, I hate them. It'll drill out.
    Head and base gaskets are reusable shim alloy. Need clutch cover and sump gaskets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aussie GSX.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	342738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aussie GSX 2.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	342739  

Bike
    motocompo
    Legendary effort, I did say very non urgent & you have had it less than a week.
    The blanked off cooler lines were me. I took the cooler off & didn't want to get a yelling at from the free courier for leaking oil all through his van.
    Very pleased at the minimum of work required.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ex valve on 4 looks pretty 2nd hand but could be picture .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Legendary effort, I did say very non urgent & you have had it less than a week.
    The blanked off cooler lines were me. I took the cooler off & didn't want to get a yelling at from the free courier for leaking oil all through his van.
    Very pleased at the minimum of work required.
    Did the lines go to and from that pump or just the sump ? Makes you wonder if the pump was ever used.

Easier to do several engines at the same time. You're always waiting for something on one of them and if bits have to go to town, better to take everything in one trip.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Did the lines go to and from that pump or just the sump ? Makes you wonder if the pump was ever used.

Easier to do several engines at the same time. You're always waiting for something on one of them and if bits have to go to town, better to take everything in one trip.
    The rear pump was blanked off, but was originally installed as an additional cooler pump, that was never used.
    I'm trying to get to the bottom of it, but while the chassis is the replica, I think that's the engine out of Robbies bike & that was once the Mercury magneto drive, which was later removed.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Well, this was an unexpected surprise. Stripped the head, inlets all fine, cleaned up well, but the exhaust valves...All have stem damage. Badly pitted just at the end of the valve guide area. Only seen this much pitting on vintage engines previously.

Doubt if it's from sitting. I'd pick it's a chemical reaction to this steel from whatever fuel it was on.

Sorry bout the pic quality. Very hard to get it right with my camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pitted valve.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	342750  

Thread Information