Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HID Xenon upgrade kits

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Did they do beam pattern comparisons or is it just off road and fuck-other-road-users work?
    Try reading the thread.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Try reading the thread.
    It's like a majillion pages, figured if you'd read it already you could let me know the relevant bits...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    From what i have read its a middle ground between HID and halogen. And no body is saying they startle traffic coming the other way.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    From what i have read its a middle ground between HID and halogen. And no body is saying they startle traffic coming the other way.
    So, no then.

Here is one I've found online

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c1jk6w4w5n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	297071

So... yeh, if them ones you're looking at are anything like those, do NZ motorists a favor and give em a miss eh!
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Old classic thing
    I like the idea of HID lights, I think properly fitted they are a good idea. Unfortunately last time I checked they were illegal on motorbikes (unless the bike had a self leveling headlight.) Hopefully the law on this may have already changed or will change in the future.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz
    Top brand Motorcycle accessories: R&G Racing, Titax, CTEK, Ultrabatt lithium Batteries, RockSolid, BikeVis, NGR, Oberon, Stopit, TUTORO, Posi-Lock, etc.
    Mobile: 0275 985 266 Office, 09 834 6655

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBikeGear View Post
    I like the idea of HID lights, I think properly fitted they are a good idea. Unfortunately last time I checked they were illegal on motorbikes (unless the bike had a self leveling headlight.) Hopefully the law on this may have already changed or will change in the future.
    Shit's all G as long as it has the correct optics (projector), completely illegal (and rightly so) if you just bung an HID bulb into the halogen suited reflector. Mine has an HID and the wof guys just flick it on the beam viewer then give it the thumbs up.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Shit's all G as long as it has the correct optics (projector), completely illegal (and rightly so) if you just bung an HID bulb into the halogen suited reflector. Mine has an HID and the wof guys just flick it on the beam viewer then give it the thumbs up.
    So your telling me not to get an LED when you have HID?

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    So your telling me not to get an LED when you have HID?
    Unless you can find an led setup that even comes close to the beam pattern of hid, then yes that's exactly what I'm telling you.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Nope. Self-levelling is a requirement in some US states I think, but not here

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Nope. Self-levelling is a requirement in some US states I think, but not here

Yay just as everyone above has stated. I looked through the Land Transport Act 1998 and subsequent ammendments to the ac t and there now seems to be no mention of the need for HID lights to incorporate a slef levelling system. The act and amendment are constantly being advised and amended and there have been a few other interesting changes lately.

"The changes aim to ensure New Zealand's requirements reflect the needs of vehicle operators, are in line with current overseas standards and practice, and can accommodate changing lighting technology, while ensuring that vehicles continue to be operated safely."

ref: http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.n...ting/headlamps

A high-intensity discharge (HID or Xenon HID) conversion kit consists of an HID bulb with a high voltage power output or ‘ballast’ which fits into the original headlamp unit in place of the original bulb with no change to the headlamp lens, reflector or housing.

It is illegal to fit an HID conversion kit to a vehicle as it brings the headlamp out of standards compliance by producing poor beam patterns and light that is far too bright to be safe. The bulbs can also produce light that is noticeably blue and not the required substantially white or amber colour. Vehicle and headlamp manufacturers do not permit this modification, and these kits cannot be LVV certified.

It is permitted to replace a complete halogen headlamp unit with a complete HID headlamp unit.

However the headlamp unit with a compelte HID headlamp unit must still meet the lighting standards. New Zealand pretty much adpts the Australian ADR standards for lights....real fun to wade through!!

But in a quick scan I couldn't find anything that specifically referred to HID headlamps.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2006L02294/Download
    Last edited by FastBikeGear; 15th May 2014 at 14:12.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz
    Top brand Motorcycle accessories: R&G Racing, Titax, CTEK, Ultrabatt lithium Batteries, RockSolid, BikeVis, NGR, Oberon, Stopit, TUTORO, Posi-Lock, etc.
    Mobile: 0275 985 266 Office, 09 834 6655

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    But in a quick scan I couldn't find anything that specifically referred to HID headlamps.
    Na. As all good legislation should, it doesn't let you know where you can find the specific thing you are looking for. This document only covers filament lamps, which pretty successfully excludes HIDs.

What you probably want is this one for discharge lamps:
    http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2006L02305/Download

Thread Information