Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got a Pirelli Sport Demon as back tyre and I am very disappointed

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Havent tried the Sport Demon mate but briefly had a Macadam (spell) years back and quickly removed it.Heard good things about Contis and will give em a go.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    I've got sport demons on the Z1R and found them good don't have to much problem getting the thing as low as the old girl will allow!

They where recommended as the best modern type tyre for an older bike and I have found them good!
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Your mom
    I've got Sport Demons front and rear and I've had the foot pegs on my bike scraping the ground literally hundreds of times with out any problems. I can't comment on wet road conditions though as I ride very cautiously in wet weather.

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    I've got Sport Demons front and rear and I've had the foot pegs on my bike scraping the ground literally hundreds of times with out any problems. I can't comment on wet road conditions though as I ride very cautiously in wet weather.
    Most any tyre will let you scrape hundreds of times - in the dry, on a 20yr old bike with sacked out suspension. What counts is how a tyre performs on a real bike and in a variety of conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    They're a relatively cheap mid-end 250 tyre, designed for light bikes and riders who want to have sporty tyres on their 250 that will last a good amount of time.
    My front sport demon cost me $135.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyer View Post
    They're a relatively cheap mid-end 250 tyre, designed for light bikes and riders who want to have sporty tyres on their 250 that will last a good amount of time.
    My front sport demon cost me $135.
    I run them on my 1100. They may not be ideally suited to a bike of that weight but hey, I'm no Rossi.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    A lot of the Post Classic racers use Sport Demons, as they are available in a lot of the old rim sizes and they do the job well.
    My boy used them on his VT250 Spada with excellent results.
    Yungatart has them on her EX500 without issues.
    A comparable tyre for grip and wear (and is also dual compound) is the Bridgestone BT45.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2006 Triumph Bonneville T100, RSV Mille
    FWIW, I'm running my third set of Bridgestone BT-45s on my T100, and find them to be an excellent tyre, both in the wet and dry. They give you good warning when you are getting near the limits of traction.

(When I asked Cycletreads for a set of Sport Demons after not being able to get a set of my previously preffered Michelins, the guy looked at me as if I had asked to have sex with his Mum/wife/gran/daughter etc.)

Bike
    Suzuki A50
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    A lot of the Post Classic racers use Sport Demons, as they are available in a lot of the old rim sizes and they do the job well.
    My boy used them on his VT250 Spada with excellent results.
    Yungatart has them on her EX500 without issues.
    A comparable tyre for grip and wear (and is also dual compound) is the Bridgestone BT45.
    If you can get them, a few bike shops havnt been able to get them (in the right size for the kat) and aparently the importers are cunts.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    As much as the other stuff is a concern to me (cornering, the "lively" backend) what really put me off the Demon was that with 2 up in wet weather, after approx 30k riding (tyre warm by then) and doing approx 110k/h I got aqua planning in the back. Twice inside 500 m. And it was the normal wet road stuff, no deep puddles. Luckily it was on a straight piece of road. I can only imagine what it would have been in a corner...

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    What are you running on the front?
    As I understand tyres, the front needs to have a compatible tread pattern (or something) designed to break the surface water before the back tyre hits it.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    What are you running on the front?
    As I understand tyres, the front needs to have a compatible tread pattern (or something) designed to break the surface water before the back tyre hits it.
    No, it is not the same. Need to have a look what I have there. I know very little re tyres, but somehow I doubt that this is the case. If I was riding superbikes at 250k+/h then maybe. But in straight line at 110k/h... And I had no problems with the Michelin Macadam. I took the bike to Nelson in rain with the worn Michelin on the back and not once did I have an issue. (It rained there and back nonstop!).

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    Its a Boat
    ''And then sell the Demon to highest bidder''.

Surely that should read.....''And then sell the Demon to who ever wants it''?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    As much as the other stuff is a concern to me (cornering, the "lively" backend) what really put me off the Demon was that with 2 up in wet weather, after approx 30k riding (tyre warm by then) and doing approx 110k/h I got aqua planning in the back. Twice inside 500 m. And it was the normal wet road stuff, no deep puddles. Luckily it was on a straight piece of road. I can only imagine what it would have been in a corner...
    I would be inclined to suggest that those couple of times had everything to do with the road surface and very little to do with the tyre.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    My TDM had sport demons when I got it. I never really had any problems with grip but the wear rate was a worry. The front & rear scalloped badly, the worst I have seen. I replaced them at cycle treads & was told they were cross plys & unsuitable for my bike. My fav tyre now is the BT 021, excellent grip wet & dry. I'm also pretty happy with the Conti road attack I have on the rear now, even though it has been provoked to slip in the wet.

Thread Information