Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got a Pirelli Sport Demon as back tyre and I am very disappointed

Bike
    Suzuki A50
    I would be interested to know how old the sport demon is in question, for all we know it has been in all different shops and wholesalers for the past 10 years and they have gone way hard and buggered.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    That's a good point. Look for a 4 digit code inside a circle or elongated circle on the sidewall. it will only be on one side of the tyre. First 2 numbers are the day of the year and second 2 are the year.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by McDuck View Post
    I would be interested to know how old the sport demon is in question, for all we know it has been in all different shops and wholesalers for the past 10 years and they have gone way hard and buggered.
    Yeah good point! I have been lucky enough to be riding a VFR400 around for the past few weeks. It has a sports demon on the back which was used at Wnaganui '09, still has lots of life in it and is great in the wet and dry. Im quite enjoying being able to put faith in the tyres even in the wet. I find them quite comparable to the BT's I run on my FXR....

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    That's a good point. Look for a 4 digit code inside a circle or elongated circle on the sidewall. it will only be on one side of the tyre. First 2 numbers are the day of the year and second 2 are the year.
    First two numbers are the week of the year.

Bike
    Ooops. yea, you're right. This time...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrs View Post
    ooops. Yea, you're right. This time...
    haha!!! Haha!!!

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    First two numbers are the week of the year.
    Found: 4809. So was made in 2009 first week of December. New enough.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    Good. Age is not the problem.
    Perhaps it is what we discussed...your bike just doesn't like the SD?

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries

Smile An update was in place I figured:

The K100 is awaiting some work and has been replaced with a K1. A sport tourer of the same manufacturer (BMW). Still a bike from last part of 1980's. Heavy and best suitable for long rides on straight roads, but also able to corner if you just go for it. They have many similarities, but there is also differences. And to be honest at times I miss the K100 for what she is. But she will get back on the road. Soon...

Anyhow, the K1 came with a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's. Almost new. At 14,000Km's they needed replacing. I fitted a second set and are now on my 3'rd set. Yet to let go in any condition. When the K100 is ready to be put back on the road she will also get a set (or if they are not available anymore, a set of Road 3's. As I understand Michelin has moved on from the Road 2's).

Reson I write this update is that yesterday as I was coming back from Welly, and had just gone through Masterton, I came up to a line of cars. The road was clear and even if there was a left bend coming up I could see way past it and knew there was no cars for a very long bit. So I started the overtake. As I came to the bend (and the 3rd car) I was accelerating to get the overtake over and done with. The road dipped suddenly and in the dip there was a wet patch. I was leaning heavily to the left and for a split second it got hairy: my left footpeg hit the ground hard and I was expecting the tyres to let go. But not a chance. The Pilot 2's kept me grounded and going in the direction I was aiming. I have a feeling that if she would have been fitted with Sport Demons I might not sit here writing this...

So until someone comes up with a tyre that costs 1/2 of the Road 2 that gets me double the mileage and holds on to the road the same, I have found my tyre!

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    The K100 is awaiting some work and has been replaced with a K1. A sport tourer of the same manufacturer (BMW). Still a bike from last part of 1980's. Heavy and best suitable for long rides on straight roads, but also able to corner if you just go for it. They have many similarities, but there is also differences. And to be honest at times I miss the K100 for what she is. But she will get back on the road. Soon...

until someone comes up with a tyre that costs 1/2 of the Road 2 that gets me double the mileage and holds on to the road the same, I have found my tyre!
    They aint cheap, but I have tried various tyres on big heavy bikes, FJ1200, ZZR1100, and now the MT-01... I have opted for the bridgestone 'hi load' dual compound sport touring tyres BT023.... grip wise they seem quite acceptable, and I am comparing this tyre directly with a Pirelli Diablo that was fitted on the front, the rear tyre is being replaced this wednesday, (MT-01) so I'll be running a full set of the Bridgestones. THE ZZR I have a diablo front, BT023 rear and handling was trustworthy, but then I am not a 100% performance rider! Advice I was given for the front tyre is to run the hi load tyre in winter as it is less susceptible to low heat, and the stickier version in summer which DOES require getting up to a certain temperature to perform correctly.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    The standard tyres sizes for the K100 are 100/90-18 and 130/90-17.

You won't find any radials in those sizes.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    The standard tyres sizes for the K100 are 100/90-18 and 130/90-17.

You won't find any radials in those sizes.
    There used to be a front available in that size and there were some narrow sizes around when I had my Darmah 100/90R18 and 130/80R18 are what I ran on it, pretty sure they were Bridgestone although Dunlop did some narrow sizes to which I think wre made withthe early GSXR750 in mind

Best tyres I ever used, but wore out fast

I'd go for BT45 on it myself
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    When the K100 is ready to be put back on the road she will also get a set (or if they are not available anymore, a set of Road 3's. As I understand Michelin has moved on from the Road 2's).
    Ooohh, I've had Pilot 3s on my bike for 3 or so months now and if you like the Pilot 2s in the wet you're going to love the P3 as they are even better.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    BT003. But wouldn't use them again either. Wet grip is not as good it could be and wear obviously sucks.
    Noob question: BT45s any good?

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    BT45s any good?
    Yeah, nothing wrong with them but having used both, I prefer the Pilot. Possibly just suits my riding better and the BT45 might be better for me if I rode in a different way.
    Grow older but never grow up

Thread Information