Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prolight/Superlight

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by quallman1234 View Post
    This will be faster than the GT's id imagine if they are using a similar engine to the older ones.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-278004979.htm
    Fuel injected too/ though....
    That could well be an issue?

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R
    the new hyosungs are injected

Bike
    Nowt any more
    Yep, injection is not the issue, as long as the model is submitted by the distributor for homologation.
    Just need to be clear what racing you are talking about at any one time.
    For the proposed NZSBK Superlite class the bikes need to be homologated and so far the Kawasaki and the Hyosung 2010 models are definites and Billy suggests that the Honda might have been also.
    The Suzuki GSX250 has been discontinued by Suzuki NZ.

For club racing the classes are defined by the respective clubs, such as VMCC having 250cc 4 cyl bikes included.
    Those bikes will not be eligible for the NZSBK class, so riders looking at getting new bikes (e.g. Hellsbells) should give that a thought. It really is the go to have a ride at the nationals in your respective class, so the 4 cyl 250s are relegated to VMCC only it seems (I don't know about AMCC, MCI, PMCC).
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

"The girls were in tight dresses, just like sweets in cellophane" Joe Jackson

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyb View Post
    Yep, injection is not the issue, as long as the model is submitted by the distributor for homologation.
    Yes, that is what I was meaning....
    I know Kawasaki NZ haven't brought in the injected Ninja, as they would have to resubmit that, and it would mean the older ones would become obsolete over night... or some such thing...
    Or, that is the way I understood it... Could be wrong (often am).

Good point re Nationals.
    Never thought of that.
    Swinging spanners next year anyway.... but 2012, who knows

Bike
    None
    The draft rules for this class state that the suspension must remain stock but you are allowed to change the fluids. BUT you must also run the stock springs.
    I have no problem with the dampers remaining standard but how stupid is it to prohibit spring changes to allow for the fact you may be a very very light rider or a very very heavy rider...
    Some common sense should prevail

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    Yeah really Robert, seems like a stupid rule to me.....might be a problem to afford some mods for some folk in other classes, but crikey springs are very reasonably priced & I think would stop alot of crashing...
    A quick question....will raising my fluid levels stop me front end from bottoming out?
    The Heart is the drum keeping time for everyone....

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    The draft rules for this class state that the suspension must remain stock but you are allowed to change the fluids. BUT you must also run the stock springs.
    I have no problem with the dampers remaining standard but how stupid is it to prohibit spring changes to allow for the fact you may be a very very light rider or a very very heavy rider...
    Yes, good point.
    Ben and I will be running bikes very similer..... as he is 60kg dripping wet, and I am 93 naked....
    Same springs... Well.... YUP!

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by puddytat View Post
    Yeah really Robert, seems like a stupid rule to me.....might be a problem to afford some mods for some folk in other classes, but crikey springs are very reasonably priced & I think would stop alot of crashing...
    A quick question....will raising my fluid levels stop me front end from bottoming out?
    Yes it will but there should not be an over-reliance on ''secondary trapped air spring compression ratio'' ( which is what it is ) A higher ramp up of air pressure in the latter stages of stroke occurs if you raise the oil level but of course you are ''catching'' the end event. The horse always requires a lot more force to stop if it has already bolted from the stable door. If you catch it before it bolts from the stable door then there is less effort required to ''stop it later on''
    More appropriate spring rates ( usually stronger ) with less preload is the ''correct'' answer, allied with a lower oil level.

Interestingly with the new NIX30 damping system in the Ohlins cartridges we run in the Superbikes we are typically running spring rates 2 steps down and oil levels 20-40 mm lower than in the previoius system, the damping control is that much more effective and instantaneous. It just shows how over reliant the more basic systems are on spring rate choice and oil levels.

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    IMHO....I'd rather run soft springs and firm dampers than the other way around...I think it the better of the opposite evil...but still not Ideal.
    I also think it would never be policed!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    This would probably be the one time I think you could be wrong Robert,I have 5 Hyosung 250s in the shed Im turning into Prolite/Superlite bikes,2 of which have bent frames but have only had reasonable lowsides,When I spoke to John at NZ frame and wheel re straightening them he told me the frames are like butter.I would suspct if the suspension was stiffened then other parts of the chassis maybe forced too deal with more stress than its capable of handling,Have a good look at the steering head area of 1 and you may agree

Bike
    A fast one
    An Asian manufacturer with "dodgy" frame material strength........................ heavens not!!!!!!!!!! The good ol RG might be a heavy framed little beast.........but they crash well.
    If a suspension componant change (spring) were allowed then RG,s should have the opportunity too........... oh and dont forget letting the wee bikes have some decent rubber........................... just a comment...dont wanna start a war!

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    This would probably be the one time I think you could be wrong Robert,I have 5 Hyosung 250s in the shed Im turning into Prolite/Superlite bikes,2 of which have bent frames but have only had reasonable lowsides,When I spoke to John at NZ frame and wheel re straightening them he told me the frames are like butter.I would suspct if the suspension was stiffened then other parts of the chassis maybe forced too deal with more stress than its capable of handling,Have a good look at the steering head area of 1 and you may agree
    Suffice to say I think my less than complimentary opinions on mainland Asian products are well documented and I would also dare to say well founded. I think we lived in better times when they made nothing more challenging than rice and firecrackers.
    That is my Andy Haden moment for the day and Im not apologising for it ( nor should Andy )
    Back on the core subject of suspension why did these bikes crash in the first place? Was it in part due to the woefully bad commuter bike suspension unsuitable for racetrack use?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Suffice to say I think my less than complimentary opinions on mainland Asian products are well documented and I would also dare to say well founded. I think we lived in better times when they made nothing more challenging than rice and firecrackers.
    That is my Andy Haden moment for the day and Im not apologising for it ( nor should Andy )
    Back on the core subject of suspension why did these bikes crash in the first place? Was it in part due to the woefully bad commuter bike suspension unsuitable for racetrack use?
    Absolutely,That and the woefully bad tyres supplied as standard,However the point is,You cant make a silk purse out of a sours ear and as an entry level class I dont believe we need to make it too complicated,

As far as Andy goes and indeed Robin Brooke,I fully agree no apology is necessary,To sum up,2 so called Ladies go out with the intentionof hooking up with an All Black,Allow him to buy them alcohol all night,Then after he pays for a cab back to their place,They proceed to drive to their local gang headquarters to buy drugs whilst heavily intoxicated and after consuming the drugs they are so comatose they let him have sex they didnt want too have ,But have the presence of mind to steal his credit card so they have proof he was there,Then after accepting a confidentiality payment they go to the media 12 years later and can remember everything vividly.

Anybody see a Tui ad ?????

Bike
    Walking
    Stop trying to sound like it's happened to You in the past Billy!

or were you the comatosed one?

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Absolutely,That and the woefully bad tyres supplied as standard,However the point is,You cant make a silk purse out of a sours ear and as an entry level class I dont believe we need to make it too complicated,

As far as Andy goes and indeed Robin Brooke,I fully agree no apology is necessary,To sum up,2 so called Ladies go out with the intentionof hooking up with an All Black,Allow him to buy them alcohol all night,Then after he pays for a cab back to their place,They proceed to drive to their local gang headquarters to buy drugs whilst heavily intoxicated and after consuming the drugs they are so comatose they let him have sex they didnt want too have ,But have the presence of mind to steal his credit card so they have proof he was there,Then after accepting a confidentiality payment they go to the media 12 years later and can remember everything vividly.

Anybody see a Tui ad ?????
    Well Rob Muldoon would be proud of Andy Haden, real men saying it as it is and taking no prisoners. Watching Rob ( on 50 years of NZ television ) mauling a presenter bought back fond memories!

Back on subject I agree with keeping that class simple but I disagree with lightweight and heavyweight riders being effectively penalised. Spring changes are relatively straightforward and cost effective in more ways than one..

Thread Information