Thread: State highway 3 via Fordell

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FJR1300

State highway 3 via Fordell

Jus t lookiing at my map for a weekend ride off SH3 to fordell and beyond???.Just wanting some info on the roads out that way and possibly on to Taihape or Hunterville and back down SH1 to Wanganui.
    Cheers
    Gaz
    Of all the things I've lost, my mind is the one I miss the most.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    I've been to Hunterville that way a few times - great trip, sealed roads and a couple of tricky turn offs...

Bike
    None any more
    Fantastic roads that way. They may be a bit skiddy in places due to lack of sunshine and leaves off autumn trees. There are two trick corners to watch to make sure you end up at Hunterville and not chained up in a woolshed for the pleasure of the hillbillies. When you cross the Turakina River you'll arrive at the first intersection on the Turakina Valley road. Go left. A km or so further up the road take the turn that sweeps off to the right. Go straight ahead and you will be forever lost, particularly once the tarseal quits and you eventually run out of gas in your forlorn search for civilisation. Stay on that road, watch for wandering stock and eventually you will emerge in Hunterville. The return trip is a bit more intuitive. That stretch from Fordell has to be one of the Most Very Best Motorcycling Roads in New Zealand. FJR1300Ts love it. Trust me on that!
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    If you want a wee loop Wangas - Hunterville and return, there is also some nice options between just South of Hunterville and the Antique Shop on the North side of Turakina.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FJR1300
    Thanks for the info guys. Gonna have another look at the map tonight and plan a weekend jaunt.
    gazza

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    I can tell you that Fordell is a very small town.
    I've got family that live on Number 2 Line just out of Wanganui. Haven't ventured along Kauangaroa Road before but now that I've had a look this looks very interesting but not sure how much of it is sealed, or if you really want to take 4-6hrs to get from Wanganui to Taihape! Though the stretch from Fordell to Hunterville could be fun!
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Have never done that area, but those that have - rave about it.
    Can I make one small suggestion? Get a new map. SH1 doesn't go near Wangers...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezza View Post
    Jus t lookiing at my map for a weekend ride off SH3 to fordell and beyond???.Just wanting some info on the roads out that way and possibly on to Taihape or Hunterville and back down SH1 to Wanganui.
    Cheers
    Gaz
    Since your comming from the Naki suggested route for you (its all Tarmac)

Turn left just before the Kai iwi bridge into Rangitatau east road,then turn right into Bruinswick road, now where Bruinswick road meets Blueskin road you need to turn left to stay on Bruinswick road follow until the end and turn right into Somme parade then at the roundabout go left over the Dublin street bridge and go straight through the second round about along Jones street following this you will go thru a shopping centre them come up to a roundabout go stright through keeping Savages bakery on your left keep going and you will naturally ride along Wakefied street onto No3 line

This is the route I take from Wanganui to Hunterville(its all Tarmac)

N03 line out to Okoia and up to NO2 line,turn left to Fordell and follow the road the to Kauangaroa keep going to Mangatipona rd(it looks like a intersection on a map but its just a right hand sweeper) this will take you to the Turakina Valley road intersection,turn left here then when the road forks go right and follow Mangahoe rd at the end you will come to the onga rd intersection turn right and head to hunterville

Now there has been stock movement on these roads and there are seal repairs on the Mangahoe road but they weren't too bad 3 weeks ago and in my opinion these roads are in rather good shape and certainly a joy to ride

I find hunterville a good coffee stop and you will see the cafe opposite you when you get to the SH1 intersection

From Hunterville if your heading back to Wanganui..
    go south and and turn right into Mt Curl road and follow the road to the left up the hill that will put you onto leedstown road at the end turn right into jefferson's line then you will come up to a left hand sweeper,cross the road to stay on jeffersons line there should be a sign there saying Wanganui,keep going until come to a + intersection turn right here and follow the roadto the end where you will go left up the hill pass the dam and be on Makuhou road this will bring you to Turakina Valley road again,going left here will bring you out at Turakina/Sh3(its all Tarmac) or if you go right you will be heading back to the Mangatipona rd and Turakina Valley road intersection I think there is about 5k for gravel but overall its a awesome stretch of road

If you decide to head to Taihapi and time permits look at heading down sh54 (VINEGAR HILL) Turn lrft at Cheltenham and head up to kimbolton and onto Mangaweka its a great road although its known to ice up through there

or Go up Sh1 to Ohingaiti turn into Otara road(no you wont end up in south AKLD) and head through too Pemberton and then on to Mangaweka

Enjoy your ride watch out for the normal hazards ie dogs sheep horses and combine harvesters parked in the middle of the road

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FJR1300
    Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated
    Gary

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
    If you want a wee loop Wangas - Hunterville and return, there is also some nice options between just South of Hunterville and the Antique Shop on the North side of Turakina.
    that antique shops gone... hasnt been there for ages.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by sunhuntin View Post
    that antique shops gone... hasnt been there for ages.
    And the last time I went through there, a significant amount of that road was unsealed.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    And the last time I went through there, a significant amount of that road was unsealed.
    i dont do back roads, but the main road is ok-ish. just the bridge has nasty bumps the whole way along that cant be very good for any vehicle. i went that way last sunday and it was fine seal-wise.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Thread Information