Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 86GSXR's Winter Series

Bike
    GSXR750G Daytona 955 Tiger DR650 ZRX1200
    Quote Originally Posted by t3mp0r4ry nzr View Post
    good on you dude! hopefully I will be joining the postie class next round and having some fun
    Did you make it to R5? At least you didn't have too far to go home after the cancellation. Bring on a dry R6, would be a great way to finish!

Quote Originally Posted by ynot slow View Post
    Ditto,my camera forgot to add film(well I did),and leaving eftpos card at photo shop aint intelligent for last week.
    Tony, you ought to go digital, way less hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitLooPs View Post
    This really makes me want to put mine out on the track, but I know how hairy those 18's can be in the wet. I've got stupid dual compound's on mine since I mostly commute and I've had those spin up on me once or twice on the road unexpectedly

If you're conscious of budget but want a better shock I'd recommend getting a 2005era R1 rear shock, the standards are like a soggy spring in comparison. Boosts the rear end a height bit, turns in faster doesn't overheat and go mushy like the stocker - all it needs is the bottom eyelet bush machined a few mm. But yeah if you found a vintage ohlins that could be rebuilt all the better. You have stacks of 17" swap out options too, not sure on the rules though.

Then I spose if its for track only ditch the airbox, pods + get a factory pro stage 3 jet kit + decent exhaust for more top end, maybe ignition advancer, better cams
    Get it out there

I'd love to really kit out mine with lots of goodies but I'm really trying to resist the temptation to spend big bucks. However, I do have a WP rear shock which is pretty good as far as I can tell. Feels really stable and the stock front hasn't given me any grief either, except once on the road a few years ago. In the dry, the PR2's are pretty good but getting a dry track hasn't been easy this season They were brand new at the beginning and have done maybe 250kms since then. I'll be interested to see how they hold up heat cycle wise tho.

My main issue lately has been the bike cutting out at 5-8000 rpm - arrgh. I think it's electrical but it's intermittant and frustrating. I got a multi meter yesterday and am going to check out coils, HT leads, plugs etc tonight. Pulled out the ignition unit last night and it was pretty dirty but looked serviceable, but hard to tell. If everything checks out it'll have to be work backwards time to see if there is anything else obvious.

Got a couple of weeks so should be sweet!
    It's only Rock and Roll but I like it

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 86GSXR View Post
    . Bring on a dry R6, would be a great way to finish!

IT HAS TO BE!

Tony, you ought to go digital, way less hassle.

For sure! I take 1-200 photos and keep 20! Costs nothing to hit the button!

Get it out there
    yes yes yes yes!

They were brand new at the beginning and have done maybe 250kms since then. I'll be interested to see how they hold up heat cycle wise tho.

have to go fast to put some heat into them first

My main issue lately has been the bike cutting out at 5-8000 rpm - arrgh. I think it's electrical but it's intermittant and frustrating. I got a multi meter yesterday and am going to check out coils, HT leads, plugs etc tonight. Pulled out the ignition unit last night and it was pretty dirty but looked serviceable, but hard to tell. If everything checks out it'll have to be work backwards time to see if there is anything else obvious.

Got a couple of weeks so should be sweet!
    that problem come back? I got a feeling its going to be one of those headache problems!

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    that problem come back? I got a feeling its going to be one of those headache problems!
    God tell me about it. As you know it ran up on the dyno and a test ride just fine. I get it home and it's coughing and cutting out and blowing flame just like it did at the track day. Next day its going just dandy. I can't trust it to behave on the track so I'm working my way through the ignition system, just hope I find something conclusive!

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 86GSXR View Post
    God tell me about it. As you know it ran up on the dyno and a test ride just fine. I get it home and it's coughing and cutting out and blowing flame just like it did at the track day. Next day its going just dandy. I can't trust it to behave on the track so I'm working my way through the ignition system, just hope I find something conclusive!
    well the next raceday is on an odd day of the month so you might be right!

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Bike
    I think I may have it sorted. Luckily I have a Haynes manual so what could go wrong Removed and tested coils and HT leads. All within specs. Took out IC unit, looked pretty corroded. Swapped coils, HT leads and IC unit from the other bike. Seems to run just fine now. Fingers crossed for R6!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00246.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	219278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00258.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	219279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00254.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	219280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00257.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	219281  

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    awesome!!! you planning on doing the motott day???

YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Bike
    Seriously considering it, it'd be great to test it before R6. Don't want to discover it still has an issue then! You?

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    nope. too sick.. will be doing the one after R6 though!....

YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Bike
    That was a thoroughly enjoyable series

It felt great to wake up to a fine day for Round 6 and it was the first drive out to the track on a dry road. I'd been really looking forward to trying the bike out on a dry track after it's electrical repairs as I hadn't had a chance to see if it would run properly under load.

Got to the track and must say a big thank you to Garry for saving us a space in the stalls, it's great to have somewhere to put all the gear. Thanks Garry.

By the time Post Classic qualifying rolled around it had just rained heavily and I was buggered if I was going to crash it on the last round so just took it easy and qualified 17th with a very sedate 1:41. However, the bike showed no signs of bad running so that was a big relief.

R1 was interesting starting from that position and was restarted after a big crash out of Dunlop. Not very nice seeing two bikes down, one of them a Gixxer.

Underway again and its now obvious to me how bad my starts are. I'm too polite (read pussy) and let myself get smoked off the line. I have the power available to do better but tend to hang back til the first turn, partly out of a caution about collisions and partly because of not wanting to overcook it and crash on the corner. Must work on this.

I didn't really get a good flow going and was mainly on my own in the long race as it had been awhile since I'd been on the bike. But I finished 13th with a 1:27 and had ample opportunity to practise braking later and accelerating sooner.

R2. This felt much better although again my start wasn't the best. With only five laps I thought I had better pick up the pace and it's funny how the laps seem to get faster but the results showed a best lap of another 1:27 in 12th place. Although I did manage to improve on my passing and later braking, still sooooo much to learn

Thank you Vic Club for an awesome experience, and thanks to my partner and all my mates who have helped out in one way or another, racing is great! Bring on the Summer Series!

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    good stuff. bit miffed I missed your first race cause I was mucking round with my tyres but the second was a minter. esp after the restart you got a real good run in with tash. bring on the 3 hr!

YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Nice work 86GSXR,
    Work on those things you have identified, and I'm sure there will be vast improvements....
    Oh, and dry weather will help.

Thread Information