Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Jog versus Suzuki UZ50?

Bike
    2008 Yamaha Jog

Yamaha Jog versus Suzuki UZ50?

Hi guys!
    Bit if a shame that scooters are deemed "off topic" here but anyhow..

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, looking at getting a new 50cc to use for my 10min flat commute to work.

Took a uz50 for a spin yesterday and a jog out today and I'd have to say they were pretty damn similar powerwise. I was expecting the jog to be more peppy but it really wasn't.

So I'm looking for a bit of advice on the two really.

I can get the suzuki for $2000 on the road or the yamaha will be $2370 on the road.

The only way I can distinguish between them is the yamaha can fit the helmet under the seat, while the suzuki can't - wtf? also the yamaha has front disc and is better looking imho. The suzuki is alot cheaper and it is a bit quieter being a 4 stroke.

I want a bike that can comfortably do 60km/hm- that's about it really, I dont think I'll be going as far as 70cc or larger kits and other go faster bits.

So those of you with either, please chime in!

btw I'd rather not fit a top box to the suzuki

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Can you get snow tyres for them? Could be a deal breaker in Dunedin!

Either or really both have been around for ages and are proven performers (so to speak) - Sounds to me like you were more impressed with the Yammy, but for the price difference between them you could probably run the Suzuki for 5 years!

There is probably F-all profit for the shop in a $2k scooter but don't be afraid to try to get the Yamaha dealer to get closer to the Suzuki or throw in some 'goodies' like a Yoshi pipe, sport tyres etc - oops I mean helmet, gloves.

Bike
    2008 Yamaha Jog
    Fortunately the suzuki just dropped $450 to $2000, Yamaha guy won't budge on price but will chuck in a helmet, however I already have one, so doesn't help much. Might be able to get something else.

Either will get derestricted. However both restricted scooters happily got to 60km/h. Can I expect a noticeable difference once derestricted?

I was just looking at the white jog Aaron had (links about it in this thread: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ing-up-the-Jog) with all the trick bits. Looked pretty sweet, specially the speedo - i can't imagine how annoying it would be to have a scooter constantly off the clock.

Tomorrow I might take the suzuki up the same hill I took the jog, then i have a good comparison. But I've got to admit the 4 stroke is much nicer on the ears.

Bike
    2003 suzuki gsxr1000
    dont be too harsh on the dealers not budging much on price,those little scooters have next to no profit in them anyway

Bike
    Pillion
    Why bother de-restricting? Why not shop around for say a 125 or 150 scooter. Yeah youll have to get ya licence but at least you will have it and get bored and want a real bike
    It is entirely possible to teach an old blond new tricks!!!

Bike
    MT09 Tracer
    I rode both before buying the Jog for my son to commute to school a while back. The disc brake and build quality was the difference.
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow aren’t just the 4 cycles of an engine

Bike
    2008 Yamaha Jog
    Cheers for the responses,

Reasons why i don't want to get a 125cc: License, WOF's and Rego ($405 vs $169)

I had a 125cc in Taiwan for 3 years and it was a great machine, however it doesn't make sense to me in my present situation. A 50cc will serve my purposes fine.

The reason for me to derestrict a 50cc is so that it can reach 50km/h faster and it can sit on 60km/h more happily.

Looks like it will come down to whether the extra $200-300 for better brakes and storage is worth it.

Bike
    76 HONDA XL125
    To de-restrict a std jog get the dealer to leave the washer out of the exhaust, there is no spacer in the variator. jogs are rev limited so anything else just helps take-off speed.

I did just on 11,000kms in about year and a half with a jog and pulled the barrel off for a we look (only to put a better cylinder back on), apart from a little carbon it was mint.
    I've had some 400km days with the thing pinned without any probs.
    It uses about 1ltr of 2t oil every 1000ks so good fully synth oil is worth the expense.
    Will go around 160km before the tank is dry (flat out)
    Tyres last around 6-7000ks
    Drive belts around the same
    After the first two services you can do it at home.
    Insurance is only 120 full cover. The Jog has an physical rear wheel lock that works off the key so insurance Company's will accept as an mobiliser for a discount. It doesnt stop it being carried off though.

On the silly side, jogs are raced overseas (22+hp!) so there are shyt loads of go faster parts so much so that often go faster parts are cheaper than stock replacements.
    Jamaha jog engines are a mineralli design/build and copied by most other 2t brands and parts often swap making a larger pool of components.
    "Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it."
    -Lou Holtz

Bike
    2008 Yamaha Jog
    Quote Originally Posted by Spearfish View Post
    To de-restrict a std jog get the dealer to leave the washer out of the exhaust, there is no spacer in the variator. jogs are rev limited so anything else just helps take-off speed.

I did just on 11,000kms in about year and a half with a jog and pulled the barrel off for a we look (only to put a better cylinder back on), apart from a little carbon it was mint.
    I've had some 400km days with the thing pinned without any probs.
    It uses about 1ltr of 2t oil every 1000ks so good fully synth oil is worth the expense.
    Will go around 160km before the tank is dry (flat out)
    Tyres last around 6-7000ks
    Drive belts around the same
    After the first two services you can do it at home.
    Insurance is only 120 full cover. The Jog has an physical rear wheel lock that works off the key so insurance Company's will accept as an mobiliser for a discount. It doesnt stop it being carried off though.

On the silly side, jogs are raced overseas (22+hp!) so there are shyt loads of go faster parts so much so that often go faster parts are cheaper than stock replacements.
    Jamaha jog engines are a mineralli design/build and copied by most other 2t brands and parts often swap making a larger pool of components.
    Thanks mate!! lots of good info there, especially about the insurance, what company is that with ? and where/why did you do 400km's in a day?

The jog managed 45km/h up High Street (a steep street here in Dunedin) while the Suzuki only did a pitiful 30km/h, so I think my mind is made up. Also the suzuki felt kinda cheap, the grey plastic at the front feels like it will snap off if you look at it funny, spongy brakes despite only having 45kms on it, plus it doesn't even have a fuel gauge, just a warning light when you get down to 0.8L

Any drawbacks to the jog i may not be aware of ?

what gets done at the first service? they guy quoted $140, what do they need to do exactly?

Bike
    2020 BMW R1250R and 2011 C182T

Hi Slunk

Have a look at scooterreview.com. NZ website but has alot of overseas visitors.

They will have a comparision of the Suzuki vs Jog.

Guessing but the Jog will possibly win. Everyone seems happy with them as a 50cc scoot.

Enjoy!

Bike
    2003 suzuki gsxr1000
    dont bother taking it in for a first service unless you dont know how to adjust things,pump your tyres up and maybe have a gork at the spug plug

Bike
    BMW F650 Hoonda GB500 KTM525 sixdays
    Where is Carver when you need him?
    He has doubled the top speed on a JOG
    Retired- just some guy with a few bikes......

Bike
    1994 Yamaha Zeal
    having ridden 4 stroke and 2 stroke scooters, you should get the jog man. 2 strokes will take off a lot better at the lights etc. and the fact that the helmet fits under the seat is a biggy. pretty annoying carrying around the helmet when the jog has a bigger boot. 2 stroke will handle those big arse hills a lot better too. you'll get used to the noise of the 2 stoke scooter.

Bike
    2003 suzuki gsxr1000
    yes how else are you going to take a hot chick for a ride if you cant pack a spare helmet under the seat

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    Spring for a big top box as well - very handy if you are commuting. I have a large size Cnell one from Trademe on my 50. Holds a helmet, lunch and the jacket goes under the seat.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Thread Information