Thread: need electrical help!

Bike
    Buell Xb12x, SR500

need electrical help!

hey.
    for my street tracker xt500 project
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ighlight=xt500
    i need some help.
    the engine is 6v - and i want to convert it to 12v - and run a 55w headlight..
    is there any way i can do it?
    i'm not electricallly minded at all.
    is there another way than finding a 12v sr500 and raiding the bits off that?
    anyone?

k
    I am Jack's complete lack of remorse .

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    Run a 55w blub in all my TT/XT's on 6volt was good Whats up with the
    12 volt thing

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Bike
    ZX636 Suzuki GSXR400
    If your bike runs any form of alternater or ac generator unit (off fly wheel usually) you would have to have that rewired to accomodate the 12V change, along with that (if your bike has it) you also have to get a new reg/rec to work in with new system. If you have to change any amperage of the resistors in your bike you need to take into account the wiring and change it to accomodate the extra amps passing through..................
    In a nut shell with you being a self confessed "not electrical" person. I would recomend not fuking with it just for the sack of going to 12V.
    However if you have really good reasons for wanting to go to a 12V system. Go see an auto electrician, drop your bike off then pay the bill upon collection
    Power is nothing without control.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Lazy sod that I am I'm gonna do a bit of a cut n paste job here.
    Parts needed are,Reg rec unit,12v bulbs for indicators,tailight,12v horn,12v coil 12v alternator,12v fuses,
    First off youll need a sr250/sr500 alternator which I think will run off your crankshaft.You will have to have that rewired slightly to join your existing wiring loom, along with that, you also have to get a new reg/rec to work in with new system. you have to change the voltage of the fuses in your bike, you wont need to change the the wiring Its plenty heavy enough to handle 12 volts.
    The coil will have to be changed to a 12 volt one and possibly the points too.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    HONDA CBR400RR aero 1987

Thumbs up xt 12v

yep,i done it and i bet its got the best lights you will ever see on an XT500.get a SR500 alternater, Rec/reg and a ballist resistor for the coil.SR500 loom a hand full of bulbs and a 12volt battery and yar in biz I guess i was lucky as i had a SR500 with stuffed CDI and i wanted an adventure bike,the XT rolling bike without engine was cheap and easy to find.

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    your all lazy!! rewire the alternator only take a few days to do it by hand!! cant remember but doubling the turns should double the voltage or something like that

Ah,in the good old days,when Triumphs first fitted an altenator (1954) they were 6V,because every other bike was 6V,then in the mid 60s they went to 12V.You could convert your old 6V system to 12V by just joining 2 of the stator wires together and then sending them all through the rectifier.I dunno if there are any fancy tricks like that with the TT.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries

You eletrical problems are solved ( work safe)

Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Ah,in the good old days,when Triumphs first fitted an altenator (1954) they were 6V,because every other bike was 6V,then in the mid 60s they went to 12V.You could convert your old 6V system to 12V by just joining 2 of the stator wires together and then sending them all through the rectifier.I dunno if there are any fancy tricks like that with the TT.
    This is a genuine Lucas product which can be used on all Japanese bikes

Here is where u can buy it from ...a tad expensive though

click here

Stephen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47_1_b.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	11350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12_1_b.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	11351  
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Assorted dinosaurs
    Blog Entries
    Ah, the good old days..... "Lucas" 'The prince of darkness', strikes again !!! Pomgolian engineering at its best!!
    ITS NOT GETTING WHAT YOU WANT,BUT WANTING WHAT YOUVE GOT
    https://hondacx500custombuild.blogspot.com/?m=1

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodave
    Ah, the good old days..... "Lucas" 'The prince of darkness', strikes again !!! Pomgolian engineering at its best!!
    Better than BTH .

And the K2F mag was a good thing .
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Bonneville 900 ST 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodave
    A TREATISE ON THE IMPORTANCE OF SMOKE
    BY JOSEPH LUCAS
    ALL ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS AND WIRING HARNESSES DEPEND ON PROPER CIRCUIT FUNCTIONING, WHICH IS THE TRANSMISSION OF CHARGED IONS BY THE RETENTION OF THE VISIBLE SPECTRAL MANIFETATION KNOWN AS SMOKE.
    SMOKE IS THE THING THAT MAKES ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS WORK. DON'T BE FOOLED BY SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS TALKING ABOUT EXCITED ELECTRONS AND SUCHLIKE. SMOKE IS THE KEY TO ALL THINGS ELECTRICAL.

wE KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE BECAUSE EVERY TIME ONE LETS THE SMOKE OUT OF AN ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT IT STOPS WORKING. THIS CAN BE VERIFIED REPEATEDLY THROUGH EMPIRICAL TESTING.. IF ONE PLACES A COPPER BAR ACROSS THE TERMINALS OF A BATTERY PRODIGIOUS QUANTITIES OF SMOKE ARE LIBERATED AND THE BATTERY SHORTLY CEASES TO FUNCTION. IN ADDITION, IF ONE OBSERVES SMOKE ESCAPING FROM AN ELECTRICAL COMPONENT SUCH AS A LUCAS VOLTAGE REGULATOR, IT WILL BE OBSERVED THAT THE COMPONENT NO LONGER FUNCTIONS.

THE LOGIC IS ELEMENTARY AND INESCAPABLE. THE FUNCTION OF THE WIRING HARNESS IS TO CONDUCT THE SMOKE FROM ONE DEVICE TO ANOTHER
    WHEN THE WIRING HARNESS SPRINGS A LEAK AND LETS ALL THE SMOKE OUT OF THE SYSTEM, NOTHING WORKS AFTERWARDS.

STARTER MOTORS WERE CONSIDERED UNSUITABLE FOR BRITISH MOTORCYCLES FOR A LONG TIME BECAUSE THEY RELEASED LARGE AMOUNTS OF SMOKE FROM THE ELCTRICAL SYSTEM'

IT HAS BEE REPORTED THAT LUCAS ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS ARE MORE PRONE TO ELECTRICAL LEAKAGE THAN THEIR GERMAN OR JAPANESE COUNTERPARTS. EXPERTS POINT OUT THAT THIS IS BECAUSE LUCAS IS BRITISH, AND ALL THINGS BRITISH LEAK..BRITISH ENGINES LEAK OIL. BRITISH SHOCK ABSORBERS, HYDRAULIC FORKS AND BRAKE SYSTEMS LEAK FLUID. BRITISH TIRES LEAK AIR, AND BRITISH INTELLIGENCE LEAKS DEFENCE SECRETS

THERFORE IT FOLLOWS THAT BRITISH ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS MUST LEAK SMOKE. AND AGAIN, THE LOGIC IS CLEAR AND INESCAPABLE.

SOMETIMES YOU MAY MISS THE COMPONENT RELEASING THE SMOKE THAT MAKES YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM FUNCTION CORRECTLY, BUT IF YOU SNIFF AROUND YOU CAN FIND THE FAULTY COMPONENT BY THE TELLTALE SMOKE SMELL. SOMETIMES THIS IS BETTER THAN THE STANDARD TESTS WITH A VOLTMETER.

IN CONCLUSION, THE BASIC CONCEPT OF TRANSMISSION OF ELECTRICAL ENERGY IN THE FORM OF SMOKE PROVIDES A CLEAR AND LOGICAL EXPLANATION OF THE MYSTERIES OF ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS AND WHY THEY FAIL.

----------------------------------------
    a day without sunshine is like..................night??????

Thread Information