Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheepskin seat rug.

Bike
    690 Advenduro

Sheepskin seat rug.

I have a corbin seat for my 690, it is a great shape, but it is a bit firm.
    I figured I would try a sheepskin rug cover to give me a bit more comfort.

Has anyone got any tips for making a decent cover?

I have a pretty decent sheepskin (good ole trademe) which is large enough to cover the entire seat, but being the tank bag covers the front portion I only sit in the mid/rear area I figure concertrating on getting it positioned right and staying put is more important than covering the whole thing.
    Thinking maybe double layer? Or maybe a thin layer of foam under the top facing part of the sheep skin.

I think maybe doing out a rough template with paper to match the panels of the corbin seat, mark out on the sheepskin and then get the mother-in-law to sew it up for me. But I am a little worried about the seams, is just folding and some minor cuts would be better?

Any tips / experiences with doing similar would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6575.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	216833  

Bike
    WR250R
    I have never made a sheepskin seat cover, but I like girly things like sewing , so I have some ideas.
    If you did the seams carefully, they would probably sit a lot flatter, and be softer than folds. I have some ideas for flat seams that might work for sheepskin, if you decide to do it that way.
    If you were going for a double layer, then having a layer of foam (perferably attached to the bottom of the sheepskin) would be less likely to move around and bunch up than having two layers of sheep. And the foam would form more of a non-slip surface with the seat cover, further reducing the risk of sheep creep
    Not sure about a good method of keeping it attached to the seat, I'll have think about it.
    The road to hell is paved...

Bike
    > 1 < 10
    put a thin layer of high density foam and a sheepskin on the daytona seat for the burt munro last year...........brilliant.......cut them oversized roughly to shape then took the seat off and just cable tied them on the underside..........still there for the burt this year.
    ***** POLITICIANS *****
    People Of Little Integrity Thieving Innocent Citizens Incomes And Need Shooting

*******KASPA*******
    Knavery Artificial Spurious Pretentious Arseholes

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    If you were to use a live sheep, it would also double as a seat warmer
    Seriously though, the local upholsterer around these parts sells Velcro backed with VERY sticky tape. Is there enough clearance between seat frame rails, side covers etc to put Velcro underneath the seat itself, then just attach Velcro to said skin after a bit of trimming 1st, you could prob sew Velcro to sheepskin as extra security to sticky tape. you could then easily remove the sheep skin if needed.

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    A clipped sheepskin rather than a full length staple is better for distance, as the wool doesn't compress as much, & it retains some 'spring back' (doesnt end up so flat). I cut the skin to the basic seat shape, & had a separate peice sewn in across the front between the tank & seat to stablise the cover. Then ran webbing under the seat to hold the cover in place. Actually solo seats work better than dual searts. Wool wash occassionally. Don't let it get rained on.
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I bought a sheepskin seat cover for the SV. Used it about two weeks and took it off. Was fuckin' useless...so I sold the SV and got a gixxer instead. Much more comfy.

or maybe me bum's just too skinny...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    . .
    I bought one of these for the 525. Works pretty good.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-312162463.htm

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries
    hay chris, my big wooly cover is the buzzness

at the front end i have sown a elastic strap, which i pull under the top part of the seat, that keeps that part of wooly in place, and i had a elastic strap on the back which was pulled under the rear part, but that broke, now i just use a bungy on the back... its great riding on my wooly,i dont get a sore bum at all..and now i found out it works in the rain as will....dont get a wet bum...sweet.

JMJ
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Bike
    Suzuki DR650 K9
    I use a sheepskin on my DR650 cause its got a killer seat !!!
    I just fold it in half so its wool side out then use one bungie at the front of the seat, works really well, stays in place and this also makes it easy to take off when it rains... they take a while to dry which is the only down side with the old sheepskin

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Best sheepskin for a bike seat is the back panel out of a sheepskin car seat cover almost the perfect shape

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    i cant run fast enough to catch the bloody sheep so i just get a sore butt and put up with it
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    07 R1200GS

6 billion arses on the planet

and only 50 million bikes ... when you find one that fits consider yourself blessed!

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    I used to use a sheepskin. While it was comfy, it was a hassle to remove & pack away if caught in the rain. If not removed it became a sponge.
    Last time I used it was for a Brass Monkey a couple of years ago. The overnight frost froze it solid, to the extent it "snapped" in half while trying to take it off. The advice was that I should have slept with it, or at least worn gumboots.
    Now days, for a long ride, I just use plastic bubble wrap (on the seat).

Bike
    2007 HondaXL1000V Varadero and 14 others
    FWIW, in our household "Sheepie" is the small sheepskin my sons used to sleep on pre-toddling age.

It's just the right size to lay on my DR650 seat and me to sit on. So that's what it does. No ties, no shaping. Works fine, doesn't ruck up, fits and removes on .... ooohhhh.... 1 second.

I don't get a sore butt offroad because I stand up a bit, but on sealed and gravel roads never stand up, so just remove it into a backpack once I leave the road.

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    Job done, 3 simple elastic straps over the bottom, should stay in place.
    It is still not quite as soft as I wanted. I now just need to find a way to explain to my partner that she does not need that yoga mat any more (its about 3mm thick and quite soft rubber, would be perfect for the job). With a layer of that under the sheepie should be super comfortable. If my negotiation skill are found to be lacking I shall make a trip up to payless plastics and see what they have.

And as per the photos, I managed to get a bonus computer seat cover out of the skin.

Thanks everyone for the tips/advise.
    I was trying to over complicate the deal, seems a simple attach it to the seat deal works great. Saved me a lot of effort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6671.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	216956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6672.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	216957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6673.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	216958  

Thread Information