Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy - possible bike?

Bike
    2008 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Std

New guy - possible bike?

Hi, I am contemplating having a crack at this, although will be a mobile road block I am sure. Is a Honda CG125 suitable for getting started? Just that it would cost a few $100 instead of a few thousand - in case I dont find it to be my thing? Any advice appreciated - Cheers

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    perfect bike to get started. Spencer still has his, after 20 years or so!!

If it doesn't work for you I'll take it off your hands for my boy. Don't get put off by the pushrod bit as it isn't really a handicap. Buy it and bring it to the track for a play.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Just noticed, bit far to go if you don't like it.

Bike
    Thanks for that - I was going to dive straight in and get an FXR but it would probably be beyond my skills and wallet. Used to putt about on a CG110 when younger so think this might be the go

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50

CG vs FXR

Dont be afraid of the FXR you will probably save money in the long run and it'll be a more enjoyable experience i.e. less mods required, better handling etc etc. My FXR has only cost a mere Maybe the CG isnt such a bad idea.

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket
    Hey! Welcome. Your CG would be a low $ start. I started of a standard CB125t, got hooked and got a FXR. Great fun. Check out http://www.bmrc.co.nz/ & www.fxr150.co.nz for all you need to know. Pop out to Ruapuna or Levels and have a chat and look around. The bucket folks are a friendly bunch and happy to help and point you in the right direction. There's a meeting at Levels this Saturday and at Ruapuna on the 9th & 10th Oct. Look forward to seeing you out there sometime. Cheers.
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Bike
    Thanks for all the feedback - I will definately pop out to Ruapuna for the next meet and have a look around. The CG I was looking at went for more than I was expecting - so perhaps an FXR or CBR isnt such a bad investment as you say and I guess yu have a fair chance of getting most of it back should you move on. Really looking forward to having a look, i ride a Harley Electra Glide Standard (yeah yeah I know a boat anchor! but i enjoy touring) so this racing lark is going to be a totally new experience for me and ironically its on my bucket list to do!!!! Thanks again

Bike
    Yo momma
    Buy the best bike you can afford!!!

Bike
    GS1200SS, GSX400, Cody150
    It's addictive, you'll have fun on whatever you buy

Bike
    2010 CB600f & a couple of bucket RB's
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adengel View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback - I will definately pop out to Ruapuna for the next meet and have a look around. The CG I was looking at went for more than I was expecting - so perhaps an FXR or CBR isnt such a bad investment as you say and I guess yu have a fair chance of getting most of it back should you move on. Really looking forward to having a look, i ride a Harley Electra Glide Standard (yeah yeah I know a boat anchor! but i enjoy touring) so this racing lark is going to be a totally new experience for me and ironically its on my bucket list to do!!!! Thanks again
    There's a CBR125 recently on sale on TM, which would be worth having a look at. It would be great starting point and there's parts up the #$%& on line you can buy for them.

I race one and find it handles better than the FXR but doesn't quite have the straight speed (being 25cc smaller).
    Yes 4 strokes are for homos. Homo-sapiens that is, who have realized bigger is better.

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by all4A50s View Post
    I race one and find it handles better than the FXR but doesn't quite have the straight speed (being 25cc smaller).
    thats why they bore them out and put bigger pistons in them
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckets4Me View Post
    thats why they bore them out and put bigger pistons in them
    the other problem with the cb125t is the frount brake (go have a look )
    aparently tzr250 frount ends fit on well
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by all4A50s View Post
    They both have shit suspension. And both can be improved. The 125's are gutless compared to a standard FXR. The CBR 150s on the other hand can fly.

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Rob Jones up here has a CBR125 frame with an FXR engine in it. Handling on the CBR is a bit better but the main reason I think is that he is a tall bugger and fits the Honda better. He ditched the CBR engine in favour of the FXR because he found the honda motor gutless compared.

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-YZF-R125-static-09_prv_tcm45-271785.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	219369It would be interesting to see how a YZF-R 150 would go as a bucket. They have a really long stroke engine and I think the wheels are the right size. Nice size to. Yes I want one. Opps I mean the 125 bored out to 156.

Thread Information