Thread: My top five!

Bike
    Triumph Sprint St 07, G650gs BMW

My top five!

Heres my blog on the top five roads I like in NZ.

Always welcome other peoples views on what are their favourites.

http://rogerfleming-raftnn.blogspot.com/

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Only done two of those Roger.
    The East Cape certainly rates...little bit rough between Ruatoria/Tolaga but stunning to ride.
    The Coro Loop though, in my opinion, is very overated, its more, convenient for want of a better term? (relax, its my own opinion, in no hurry to do it again)

One thing, are they in order 1-5? or just your 5 best bits?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Only done two of those Roger.
    The East Cape certainly rates...little bit rough between Ruatoria/Tolaga but stunning to ride.
    The Coro Loop though, in my opinion, is very overated, its more, convenient for want of a better term? (relax, its my own opinion, in no hurry to do it again)

One thing, are they in order 1-5? or just your 5 best bits?
    Probably jsut my favourite five, Although the Haast to Wanak was terffic.

Or couse Stae Highway one to Warkwroth is always a highlight!!! hehhe

Bike
    Suzuki GS1200SS,Moto Guzzi Bellagio 940
    This summer the Guzzi and the wifes Beemer are goona do the Eastcape loop. Been talking about that one for too long.

but the Haast to Wanaka will be on the list now. Thanks

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    heh, done them all. karamea and takaka are also good. With good weather, milford sound is fantastic

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    heh, done them all. karamea and takaka are also good. With good weather, milford sound is fantastic
    Yes I would have to agree completly, having read a lot of your expolts i am sure your top five would include many roads I have not done. The day we went to Milford sound it was torrential, but it was still magnificent scenery......was concentrating a lot though and trying to advoid campervans!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by grbaker View Post
    This summer the Guzzi and the wifes Beemer are goona do the Eastcape loop. Been talking about that one for too long.

but the Haast to Wanaka will be on the list now. Thanks
    Yes just do it...... you wont regret it, I hope you strike it on a good day. The South Island is a motorcylce paradise. enjoy!

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    never ridden in the south island (sad I know!!!)

but top 5 in the north island (no particular order)

1. Vinegar hill/Halcombe hill loop. Very rare this piece of road is not in good condition and some really fast flowing corners.. alert!

2. East cape. Technical piece of road that just keeps going and going!! fantastic scenery but watch for flying panniers (huh meanie?) and BIG holes in the road!

3. Mungamukas. This road was built like a racetrack! Steady climb so no real need for brakes and some of the biggest cambers I have seen on NZ roads!. Im not sure if it gains a point or losing one for the unintentional wheelies over the crests.... Just plain fun!!

4. 8 mile.. (te Kuiwiti to Taumaranui) Another awesome piece of road that is so underrated!

5. SH1!!!!!! (Im not joking either.. this would rate soooo high if it wasnt SH1 and shit in the winter but the desert road is awesome to ride on a fine day when there is no cops around!!!!) Waioru to Turangi.

5b.. western access road.. I usually do this after getting frustrated from being held up on what could have been on the desert road!. round western side of Lake Taupo from Turangi to Taupo.

oh. and I agree.. Coro loop is one of the most overrated pieces of roads I have ever ridden. You coro warriors need to head further south where all the fun is!

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Mint raftn, but one thing. It's Lake Hawea
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    never ridden in the south island (sad I know!!!)
    Ditto....

but top 5 in the north island (no particular order)

1. Vinegar hill/Halcombe hill loop. Very rare this piece of road is not in good condition and some really fast flowing corners.. alert!
    Agreed

2. East cape. Technical piece of road that just keeps going and going!! fantastic scenery but watch for flying panniers (huh meanie?) and BIG holes in the road!
    Yep, fantastic... I'd like to do that again this summer but we'll have to see...

3. Mungamukas. This road was built like a racetrack! Steady climb so no real need for brakes and some of the biggest cambers I have seen on NZ roads!. Im not sure if it gains a point or losing one for the unintentional wheelies over the crests.... Just plain fun!!
    I'll get there one day.

4. 8 mile.. (te Kuiwiti to Taumaranui) Another awesome piece of road that is so underrated!
    Only done it a couple of times but i'm not that sure what the fuss is about tbh.

5. SH1!!!!!! (Im not joking either.. this would rate soooo high if it wasnt SH1 and shit in the winter but the desert road is awesome to ride on a fine day when there is no cops around!!!!) Waioru to Turangi.
    Hmm, yeah kinda. Fact is though it is SH1 and for obvious reasons it kinda sucks the fun out of it, prefere the para para's..

oh. and I agree.. Coro loop is one of the most overrated pieces of roads I have ever ridden. You coro warriors need to head further south where all the fun is!
    I'll agree the western side is is average at best as far as rides go but nicely scenic, once over on the eastern side though past Coromandel township it pretty decent imho, particularly between Coromandel and Tairua.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Mint raftn, but one thing. It's Lake Hawea
    I stand corrected! Should of looked at the map, instead of going from memory.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I really couldn't pick 5 best roads... so many roads, each unique in its own way...

Western Access, to have fun you have to be over the limit, but a far better alternative to the boredom of Taupo and SH1. 8 mile is pretty good, again, have to be a little over the limit, but a quiet road. Desert Road is good in the tighter sections, waaaay too many cops. Bad weather makes it a good challenge.

Re Coro Loop, the full loop is over 200km, if you take in Whangamata > Waihi, which I would have to rate in my top 5. Very few straights, just don't catch it on a busy day, otherwise, safe passing opportunities are rare.

Easiest thing to do is to simply keep riding all the good roads all the time, and rinse and repeat I find it satisfying that people's favourite roads around Auckland, I don't know off by heart, because I spend my spare time riding the country, not the country around Auckland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by raftn View Post
    Probably jsut my favourite five, Although the Haast to Wanak was terffic.

Or couse Stae Highway one to Warkwroth is always a highlight!!! hehhe
    Were you on the Vino when you typed that?.....

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Were you on the Vino when you typed that?.....
    6.29pm.......more than likely!!!!!!!!!!! Normally start on the vodkas about 5.30 and the wine an hour later!

Thread Information