Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lady riders

Bike
    BICYCLE
    [QUOTE=Kickaha]
    Quote Originally Posted by KATWYN
    "oh, so where are you going to put your children on your bike when you have them?"

QUOTE]

In the sidecar of course!
    Perfect. didnt think of that at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog
    getting a speeding ticket is far from my mind as it is unlikely to kill me..

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by KATWYN
    Yea good on you, doing what you want to do. In the 80's I did a "non traditional" apprenticeship of car painting. I will never again put myself in that environment (another story). But as far as riding my motorcycle goes, sometimes I get comments especially from the "traditional" type person like for example recently when one person was looking at the bike I ride said "oh, so where are you going to put your children on your bike when you have them?" ...interesting question, to give a smart answer too (couldnt think of
    one at the time, was taken back by a 1900's comment in the year 2000)

I was interested in your comment that public take exception to your job?? how come?
    HA! That peeves me how people often assume that b/c you are a woman you will have children & that if you choose to become a Mother it will mean no more riding (or whatever else you may do for fun)...maybe you could say something like: "The kids would ride in the car with their Father."

As for comments from members of the public - I had an elderly man walk up to me when I was shovelling some gravel and say: "Ooooo, you shouldn't be doing a job like this! It's not a job for a woman" that was kinda sweet really not nasty at all. However!! Another guy was talking to a fellow road gang member (who I was standing beside) and said to him "What's this? Is *she* out to prove that she can do the job better than us." I could've hugged my work mate b/c he replied "Well I dunno but she knows more than I do b/c she's been on the job longer." HA! The guy was a bit stumped by that.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    RF900
    I recon that ladies do everytime better than mere males and probably that includes biking from a safety point of view. I would say that women are however are limited by lack of male bravado,ego and stupidity. and that keeps them on the netball court there are however exception to the rule. and I like stupid women
    Your never to old for a sportsbike

Bike
    2013 Street Triple R

Thumbs up Lady Riders

I have only been riding for about 4 years, I have been to a track day at Ruapuna and I have also been to a training day at Ruapuna - the best day ever! And it rained!
    For me, I think that because I started riding late in life - 30's - I am more cautious - but only in the twisties. I love speed, but I believe I am carefull. I think that my husband may disagree on that last point though!
    I have been told by rider friends who have been riding for a lot longer than me that I am a good rider and dare I say it - better than my husband as I continue to improve!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Rusty
    lady riders are the fastest growing branch of motorcycling around the world.
    In twenty years of teaching new riders, I will make the staement that in my opinion women make better riders than men - they may not be as fast - but they are safe.

Can't ask for better than that
    Last edited by Suzi Q; 27th February 2004 at 19:05. Reason: spelling mistakes
    A dog will do what you ask
    A cat will take a message and get back to you later

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi Q
    I have been told by rider friends who have been riding for a lot longer than me that I am a good rider and dare I say it - better than my husband as I continue to improve!!!
    Shit Suzi Q, I hope he dosent read this thread or he will have my balls for bookings
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi Q
    I have been to a track day at Ruapuna
    There's one at Timaru on March 14th if you'd like to give it another go!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstar
    I recon that ladies do everytime better than mere males and probably that includes biking from a safety point of view. I would say that women are however are limited by lack of male bravado,ego and stupidity. and that keeps them on the netball court there are however exception to the rule. and I like stupid women
    Mmmm thats the first time i think being called stupid is a complement

Bike
    99 zx6r

Talking

safer in respect of taking less high risk manoveres

Slim - you've been riding with the wrong girls. I trained a friend of mine, on racing techniques, racing lines, braking etc.... he won 2 races @ phakisa South Africa this weekend, these races were held in conjunction with the GP being held there. Now if a girl can train a man to ride, and then have him win - she must be doing something right. Y es he was on a GSX1000, but skill does count for something. Dont put all woman in the same category - excpetions to the rule are always refreshing.

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    The resent Triumph owners run I went on,I passed a woman on an old Triumph Bonnie.She had high bars,Skull in cross bones painted on the tank,More frilly bits than a frilly thing and I thought, give me a brake,that went one in the eightys.Then we hit the Karangahape gorge,she took exseption to the japper passing her and It was all on.I don't mind in the lest admiting she pushed it hard, had me packin' bricks a couple of times.No taste what so ever, but a damn good rider for sure.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Joni
    Slim - you've been riding with the wrong girls. I trained a friend of mine, on racing techniques, racing lines, braking etc.... he won 2 races @ phakisa South Africa this weekend, these races were held in conjunction with the GP being held there. Now if a girl can train a man to ride, and then have him win - she must be doing something right. Y es he was on a GSX1000, but skill does count for something. Dont put all woman in the same category - excpetions to the rule are always refreshing.

Can I please ride with you when you get a bike? I'd so appriciate any pointers you can give. If you are free on this friday the 23rd, why not come to the track even for a watch. It'll be really good to meet all the people as well I am sure.

BTW, did you used to race or still race?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman
    I have NEVER heard of a woman having a bike accident,

Nice if this were true for me too, but......, they just dont put themselves in quite the same situations that guys do, so the odds are better.

about 6 weeks ago a female on a scooter pulled across in front of a car in central hamilton, and ended up going over the roof - badly broken leg and scratched up nasty for her troubles.

she had the crash for a number of reasons i reckon.

1. bike was very manouverable, and too quick and easy to change direction for her skill level
    2. the bike had 120kms on the clock
    3. she had a 6L licence only (no ride test - didn't even have a car licence)
    4. she was asian

the car driver had no options, and only braked afer the impact, it happened that quickly. the car was travelling at about 40kph at impact

also, aged 16 my wife bailed off her A100 into a paddock - she still bears the burn scar off the exhaust. too fast, alcohol, not paying attention.

i could go on..........

Quote Originally Posted by Motoracer
    Can I please ride with you when you get a bike? I'd so appriciate any pointers you can give. If you are free on this friday the 23rd, why not come to the track even for a watch. It'll be really good to meet all the people as well I am sure.

BTW, did you used to race or still race?
    We can go out and ride with pleasure.

Yes I did race, first cars, later bikes. It was really good because it was passion based for me, which made me want to be better and not conform.

Cant make Friday.... work!

Bike
    '07 GSX750F
    To throw my hand into the ring and to put my neck on the line, I will offer up my reasoning behind why women seem to do better than the average man in many fields that are normal male dominated roles.

A woman make more of a desision to take up something than a man, and hence is more inclinded to do better at it than the average man. It might be better to call it a better ability to goal set.

Prime example. Back at tech in class of 40 students, ~15 female. IT course, out of the 40 students, 20 had a carear in mind, what field and job they were after, half of them where female. 2/3 females knew what they wanted, and worked towards it. 1/3 of the males knew what they wanted, and worked towards it. at the end of 2 years there were a lot less males that finished.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Joni
    Cant make Friday.... work!
    Oh what a shame Joni- they must really work you hard to not let you take a day off!! Whereas my boss was quite accomodating when I asked him for the day off two weeks back

Zed

Thread Information