Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1000km Northern Adv Ride

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Here's a rough idea of what I try to put together for the RRRR. Add a few extra sections such as Takapari Road, Makairo, Blackhead beach, as technical sections, and you've got the makings of a good ride (add about 400km from Welly).

This should be over 50% gravel, and plenty more can be added in the Rapa. Fuel becomes an issue, so heading inland towards Waipawa may be necessary.

Whoops...bloody map thing. I'll try again.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...4e6cd661ce&z=9
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries

Poll

Hey how do I add a poll here - for dates... or do I need to start a new thread?

Currently looking at Saturday 14 Nov as preferred date.

- Route still TBC. Depending on numbers I may look to seek permission to access through Zone 1 between the Desert Rd and Ruapehu. Unsure of the likelihood of getting it, and for what numbers. If I'm granted it then it will likely be no more that 6-10 riders under my lead. A lot of environmental and UXO risk perceptions in that zone which requires vehicles to stay on formed tracks...and I don't know if there are any remaining that bridge from Karioi Forest to Tukino Skifield rd. This area would be a combo of 4wd and sand / peametal / rocky chunks type riding and will be hard work if included.

- Intent remains for a ball breaker of a ride taking us a long way from home.

- Working through my route in closer detail there does seem to be a lot of gravel through the Naki backroads and in the NW sector.

- Route will not be proven prior to riding. This is part of the "hardness" of this ride; it'll all be a bit of a surprise.

- Unsure on timings yet. There is a lot of seal b/n Wellington and Wanganui / Marton. This is undoubtedly a shite bit of the route, but equally can be seen as advantageous for getting to the cooler stuff in good time early in the morning, and making for easier riding in the final stages of the return trip.

-My intent is to be getting through the Naki between Waverley and Tihoi in daylight. I haven't worked through expected average speeds / departure & arrival times yet.

- Questions asked about departing from other locs - not too worried myself, but I live in the Hutt so was I guess thinking Caltex Rimutaka would be the go, picking others up along the final route.

-Finally...this ride ain't going to be anywhere near the quality of an organised (yet unoffical) ride like the DB1K. It will be (at best) a few dudes (or just me?!)and associated hangers-onerers attempting something challenging on their own terms.

Buggs
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Pretty sure that date won't work for me. Have fun guys.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    2009, Ktm 990 Adventure S
    Nice Idea buggs I watch with interest ... r u planning on getting distance between fuel availability?

Bike
    Blog Entries

Waiouru Access

Sounds promising at this stage - subject to final approval and deconflicting with any training activities we could be allowed to travel cross country from almost Waiouru township up to Tukino Skifield Rd through the perilous Zone 1.

All riders would need to be under my "control" and would receive a blinds (ie UXO) safety briefing from Army prior to entering the Zone. This would take a small amount of time (20-30 mins perhaps) on the morning but would be worth it.

Zone 1: Dreams of Dakar anyone?
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by buggsubique View Post
    Sounds promising at this stage - subject to final approval and deconflicting with any training activities we could be allowed to travel cross country from almost Waiouru township up to Tukino Skifield Rd through the perilous Zone 1.

All riders would need to be under my "control" and would receive a blinds (ie UXO) safety briefing from Army prior to entering the Zone. This would take a small amount of time (20-30 mins perhaps) on the morning but would be worth it.

Zone 1: Dreams of Dakar anyone?
    Hmmm, I'm not so keen on the overall concept of the event, distance for the sake of distance isn't my thing, but I'm keen on getting into some of that army land.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pampa View Post
    Nice Idea buggs I watch with interest ... r u planning on getting distance between fuel availability?
    Yeah haven't got that far yet mate (ie planning the stops). I'm basically limited to 300km give or take, others may be more or less so will work it in to the route...maybe a couple of long legs between Turangi and Urenui over west - no idea what's in between in terms of gas stops between them.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    Hmmm, I'm not so keen on the overall concept of the event, distance for the sake of distance isn't my thing, but I'm keen on getting into some of that army land.
    yeah will keep it in mind. I'm up there for 3-4 months next year Feb-May so if I have the bike with me I might tee something up.

Thread Information