Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USA: 'Drunk' Cop ploughs into 4 motorcyclists

Bike
    Ducati V4S Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    I guess none of the above type of lawyers have 'got off' a drunk driver - and then had said drunk driver (while drunk again) crash into the same lawyer or a one of their family members....
    Now that would be "justice".

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.W View Post

So, this is a couple of stories aired about 10 hours ago, from one of the survivors.
    Couldn't open the second one.

I totaly agree with what she said about it being more than just an accident.
    All drunk drivers should be charged with murder or attempted murder if they crash into someone.

You would think by now the message would have got though but i guess not as every time there is a booze bus at spaggetti juction you see all the parked cars in the morning.

Too many people just get away with a fine and loss of licence when some poor family is left with a hole that will never be filled.

Bike
    1970 Vespa ss90
    Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post

All drunk drivers should be charged with murder or attempted murder if they crash into someone.

You would think by now the message would have got though but i guess not as every time there is a booze bus at spaggetti juction you see all the parked cars in the morning.

Too many people just get away with a fine and loss of licence when some poor family is left with a hole that will never be filled.
    Don't the yanks have some term "Vehicular manslaughter"......

I personally don't believe that it is fair to term someone who kills a person as a "Murderer" so much, but there should be a high degree of consequences in the situation that someone is killed as a result of a drink driver.

Personally, I have never been affected directly by a drink driver ( well, in regards to someone I care about being killed or mamed as a result of) but I can say with all sincerity that I just do not understand why people continue to do it, the advertising campaigns, the heavy penalties (some say too soft) combined with the education of School children any reasonable person would never contemplate it...... The only conclusion I can come to is that it simply takes 2 or 3 generations of this level of education and enforcement before it has a real effect.

I am 33, and I can remember my parents (baby boomers) driving home drunk 2 or 3 times, they where career military people, and, my younger brother got caught drink driving (after crashing into a brick fence in the wet).

My younger brother is now one of the strongest advocates of not drink driving that I know...... It could have cost him his career.

And, I know that anti drink driving was very much drummed into us at High School.

My feeling is that it will be the generation of my brothers son and daughter that will have the lowest rate of drink driving offenses simply because it just takes time to really get the message through.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by SS90 View Post
    Don't the yanks have some term "Vehicular manslaughter"......

I personally don't believe that it is fair to term someone who kills a person as a "Murderer" so much, but there should be a high degree of consequences in the situation that someone is killed as a result of a drink driver.

Personally, I have never been affected directly by a drink driver ( well, in regards to someone I care about being killed or mamed as a result of) but I can say with all sincerity that I just do not understand why people continue to do it, the advertising campaigns, the heavy penalties (some say too soft) combined with the education of School children any reasonable person would never contemplate it...... The only conclusion I can come to is that it simply takes 2 or 3 generations of this level of education and enforcement before it has a real effect.

I am 33, and I can remember my parents (baby boomers) driving home drunk 2 or 3 times, they where career military people, and, my younger brother got caught drink driving (after crashing into a brick fence in the wet).

My younger brother is now one of the strongest advocates of not drink driving that I know...... It could have cost him his career.

And, I know that anti drink driving was very much drummed into us at High School.

My feeling is that it will be the generation of my brothers son and daughter that will have the lowest rate of drink driving offenses simply because it just takes time to really get the message through.
    Everyone knows that when you have a drink, whether you are drunk or not, it effects your abilaty to drive, therefore it should meen at the least 3rd degree murder. (its USA)

its like saying i shot that person but didn't know it would kill him.

Your brother crashed while drunk, hope he never does it again and glad he didn't kill anyone, but the same can't be said for a good friend of my who is now mentaly dis abled because of a head on when a drunk crossed the center line (on a straight) and killed two people.
    he got 12 months lose of licence and told to pay reparations, never did as he was just another bludger.

So you can see i have no time for the low life scum who thinks they are fine to drink and drive.

Bike
    None at present
    Quote Originally Posted by SS90 View Post

UNLESS........
    He has a "good" lawyer and somehow manages to get the case heard in a Juristiction with more lenient laws and punishments, by a Judge with a sympathetic ear for a "Poor stressed out Police officer, who, after severe TRAUMA from being attacked by a bank robber wielding and AK47 ASSAULT RIFLE (note dramatic effect) whome he had killed after a PITCHED GUN BATTLE last year, began to become addicted to alcohol in an effort to drown the pain of taking another mans life (all in the course of duty to the American public your honor)

In fact it could be said, your Honor, that the Police officer is actually a VICTIM, who has been FAILED by the SYSTEM, a SYSTEM he swore an oath to protect........

And so on.
    Uhhh... if I ever get in any serious trouble with the law, can I hire you as MY lawyer?
    What you have in your heart will be revealed through what you have in your life.

If things are going badly in our circumstances, the answer to what is happening to us outwardly is more often than not found in the mirror.

Bike
    Modified 2014 Bonnie
    Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post

So true, you get a licence to drive or ride a vehicle and as such you have to be held responsible for how you use it. Boozing and driving is one of those crimes that needs to be dealt with by education yes but also by punishment that stops a person continuing to drive, namely 1st time a big fine and a ban, second time lock 'em up. If they kill someone why should they not be looked upon as a murderer? We are not stupid we all know the dangers of driving and what happens if you add booze to the mix. You want to run the chances of drink driving ok well run the risks of serving 15 years in jail as well.

Sorry if I offend anyone but drink driving has affected me and it is something I loath, as a christian I have to forgive (at some point) and I do, but that does not mean a murderer should get off with a slap across the knuckles.

Bike
    A big one
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLord View Post
    Uhhh... if I ever get in any serious trouble with the law, can I hire you as MY lawyer?
    Try Barry Hart at the end of Ponsonby Road. He's that much of a wanker.
    It's only when you take the piss out of a partially shaved wookie with an overactive 'me' gene and stapled on piss flaps that it becomes a problem.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Try Barry Hart at the end of Ponsonby Road. He's that much of a wanker.
    And some....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Thread Information