Thread: Places to ride in Hawke's Bay?

Bike
    2007 yamaha yz250f

Places to ride in Hawke's Bay?

I mentioned something in the other thread about having one for each region. so Heres the Hawkes Bay one.
    When I bought my bike the old owner mentioned rangatiki forest on napier taupo rd has anyone been there? Do you need a permit or can you just go unload the bikes and ride the tracks.
    Tutaekuri River Guppy rd entrance a few people have been mucking round making some jumps

Bike
    Suzuki RM125, RM250
    its been way too long since i rode in hawkes bay but there used to be some more tracks not big ones but down a bit from the entrance of guppy and also theres valley road but i dont know much about that one

Bike
    2007 yamaha yz250f
    The tracks down guppy rd seem to be ok and a few guys been down there making another one with a decent table top in it.
    Valley Rd is a boggy mess apparently
    Waipuk has some decent tracks at the river apparently

Bike
    2004 Honda CRF250R
    Rangiteiki is a pretty cool spot for trail riding. I ride there with some Taupo mates and park at the pub. Massive meals and cheap beer at the end of the day are great.

There's a heap of tracks out there which also means it's easy to get lost. The tracks are used by 4wd's exploring and tending to beehives so you need to keep an eye out for them.

There's also a semi man made MX track north of the pub where a few mates took a digger in and made some new jumps. That's quite good fun for mucking around. I'll try and link a google map image to the place I mean.

Bike
    Farndon Rd riverbank 'dirtbike park', I saw that theyve added in some stutters, but that was looking from the bridge. The access road through the middle of the 'track' puts me off, but seeing the stutters, I wonder if anyone has graded the track, I think it hasnt been touched since they created it.

Guppy rd, that has been changed, theyve done some work to the river and flattend everything out, but still a bit of room down there to create a flattrack course or find some of the old track down there.

Or theres Valley Rd, just watch the HBMC website to see when it is open, which is the safest place to go as everyone going in the same direction and being a track theres alot more control on things out there.

The riverbanks are okish, though just gota watch it cos you never know whats in the long grass as well as watching out for everyone else thats playing around down there, which puts me off from going down there unless im trying/testing something out on the bike or running something in.

Bike
    2007 yamaha yz250f
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
    Rangiteiki is a pretty cool spot for trail riding. I ride there with some Taupo mates and park at the pub. Massive meals and cheap beer at the end of the day are great.

There's a heap of tracks out there which also means it's easy to get lost. The tracks are used by 4wd's exploring and tending to beehives so you need to keep an eye out for them.

There's also a semi man made MX track north of the pub where a few mates took a digger in and made some new jumps. That's quite good fun for mucking around. I'll try and link a google map image to the place I mean.
    would be awesome if you could do that. do you have to have prem ission to ride at rangateiki

Bike
    XR1200x, Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by D3ALN View Post
    do you have to have premission to ride at rangateiki
    Technically no one should be riding in there at all but everyone does. The forest area is owned by the council and pretty much the rest is DOC area. Every now and then DOC has a whinge which everyone ignores and carries on riding. (ie no permit required)
    We used to park at the tea rooms at the end of the Rangiteiki strait but the new owners were a grumpy lot so we changed to the pub (on your left, coming from Napier, about 5kms before the tearooms). They are good people, just don't ride across his lawn.
    There is good riding out there but, as been mentioned before, watch out for 4wd's and keep a good lookout for other bikes, on a good day there can sometimes be quite a few out there.
    "Twilight's like soccer. They run around for two hours, nobody scores, and a billion fans insist you just don't understand"

Bike
    2007 yamaha yz250f
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpy View Post
    Technically no one should be riding in there at all but everyone does. The forest area is owned by the council and pretty much the rest is DOC area. Every now and then DOC has a whinge which everyone ignores and carries on riding. (ie no permit required)
    We used to park at the tea rooms at the end of the Rangiteiki strait but the new owners were a grumpy lot so we changed to the pub (on your left, coming from Napier, about 5kms before the tearooms). They are good people, just don't ride across his lawn.
    There is good riding out there but, as been mentioned before, watch out for 4wd's and keep a good lookout for other bikes, on a good day there can sometimes be quite a few out there.
    sweet sounds good Will park at pub and go for an explore

Bike
    Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by D3ALN View Post
    sweet sounds good Will park at pub and go for an explore

But you won't go exploring without a GPS that you have preset with your parked vehicle location will ya?

If the sun dissapears north looks the same as south.............
    It's OK to disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

Bike
    2007 yamaha yz250f
    Quote Originally Posted by denill View Post
    But you won't go exploring without a GPS that you have preset with your parked vehicle location will ya?

If the sun dissapears north looks the same as south.............
    Umm didnt think of that lol aslong as we dont go too far in well be sweet lol

Bike
    2007 yamaha yz250f
    rode Waipukurau river today had some mint fun on the two jumps close to bridge there and played round in some boggy rutty tracks that reminded me of being Doug Henry on supercross 2000 ps1 game whoop systems lol. By the way Doug Henry is my Idol

Bike
    Rmz450
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_925 View Post
    Farndon Rd riverbank 'dirtbike park', I saw that theyve added in some stutters, but that was looking from the bridge. The access road through the middle of the 'track' puts me off, but seeing the stutters, I wonder if anyone has graded the track, I think it hasnt been touched since they created it.

Guppy rd, that has been changed, theyve done some work to the river and flattend everything out, but still a bit of room down there to create a flattrack course or find some of the old track down there.

Or theres Valley Rd, just watch the HBMC website to see when it is open, which is the safest place to go as everyone going in the same direction and being a track theres alot more control on things out there.

The riverbanks are okish, though just gota watch it cos you never know whats in the long grass as well as watching out for everyone else thats playing around down there, which puts me off from going down there unless im trying/testing something out on the bike or running something in.
    Hey mate do u know if the dirtbike park fardon rd is still there? Do you have to pay? Can you access it from the carpark under the chesterhope bridge? Thanks

Thread Information