Thread: Touring - NI/SI, June - August, 2011

Bike
    '07 Honda VFR 800, '94 BMW R1100RS

Touring - NI/SI, June - August, 2011

I'd like to visit New Zealand for a touring holiday, but I teach high school in the U.S. so my possible holiday dates are restricted by the school's schedule. As a result, I can only get away to New Zealand for more than 10 days if I come during the U.S. summer. In 2011, I could leave the U.S. as early as June 13th, and return as late as August 15th, planning a stay of 14 - 21 days.

Is the weather bearable at that time? Would I be able to ride on SI, NI, or either (that is, is the weather much different between the islands)? Would a mid June to early July schedule, compared to a late July into early August schedule, make much difference?

With electrics and layers, I typically commute here until the morning temps are in the mid 30's (Fahrenheit); no fun riding on snow or ice since I sold the sidecar. Thanks.

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    You will be in the middle of winter... its doable you just need to ride easily and watch weather reports...

Bike
    Tbird
    plan on rain inbetween the showers

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by spookytooth View Post
    plan on rain in between the snow showers
    There, I've fixed that comment for you.

Seriously though, I ride all year round. In the South Island try to avoid the inland roads before mid morning, and after dark, and watch the mountain passes at all times.

This thread may give you an idea of what the moutain passes can be like. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-cold-is-cold?
    Time to ride

Bike
    '07 Honda VFR 800, '94 BMW R1100RS
    This is getting to be the type of feedback I need....

When I look at the average weather data sources online, they seem to indicate that, in winter, parts of the North Island get into the +10 range (going back to Celsius, here), as well as the parts of the South Island that are within a mile or two of the coast. Is this somewhat accurate?

The rest of the South Island appears to average 0 and lower. As New Zealand is about as far south as Illinois is north, that would mean persistent snow cover from about late November until late March. Keeping the electrics on high to stay warm is one thing; riding on snow packed roads with no grit is another. Or is the snow not as persistent as here in Illinois?

One last question for now: Do any campgrounds stay open in the winter?

Thanks for your help.

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    Campgrounds open all year.

Funny thing is travelling through the Manawatu Gorge this year,the only time it was closed is the last two weeks and supposed to be springtime,winter time had no slips when I travelled through the gorge,and the weather is cold in winter,so as long as you stay dry and warm the riding is still gooooood in winter.
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoutheart View Post
    This is getting to be the type of feedback I need....

When I look at the average weather data sources online, they seem to indicate that, in winter, parts of the North Island get into the +10 range (going back to Celsius, here), as well as the parts of the South Island that are within a mile or two of the coast. Is this somewhat accurate?

The rest of the South Island appears to average 0 and lower. As New Zealand is about as far south as Illinois is north, that would mean persistent snow cover from about late November until late March. ....
    No, there is actually very little snow usually. The mountain passes get a dose from time to time, otherwise there isn't much at all. The South Island is rather dry, even semi arid in places, so that means little snow, but there can be ice.

First frosts occur around late March, but they aren't persistant until well into June. We can still get frosts as late as November, but generally they are all gone by October. Even when we do get severe frost, it is usually followed by a lovely sunny day. So riding is still very good during the late morning and well into the afternoon.

Just try and stay off the roads in the early part of the day and after dark.

Right now I'm happy to ride any time on any day.
    Time to ride

Thread Information