Thread: PLBs?

Bike
    So old you won't care

PLBs?

Not 100% sure if this belongs here but PLB's are safety equipment...

Ive been thinking about a PLB for some time. Cell cover is very unreliable in NZ and increasingly we are going places where there is never going to be any cover. I have a small hand held marine VHF for kayak use but PLB's are cheaper than ever.

Anyone know anything about the brands or got a recommendation?

I'd use it when riding motorcycles, tramping and mountain biking...

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS
    http://www.burnsco.co.nz/searchresults.aspx?q=PLB

I have the GME from Burnsco ... I have not had to use it so cannot give an opinion on that.

Bike
    So old you won't care

Bike
    '21 Aprilia Tuono
    If you want one for tramping, I use the McMurdo Fast find

http://www.bivouac.co.nz/mcmurdo-fas...or-beacon.html

It's pretty light at 150g and although I haven't used it in anger, it appears easy to use in an emergency. One of my mates had to pull the pin on an older model and got picked up off a rock in Fiordland in a few hours.
    The marine-based ones tend to be a bit heavier.

Bear in mind that the batteries on these last for 5-7 years and after that you will have to pay to get a new battery installed so check that your model has local support.
    I don't think its possible to buy the old ones now but the frequency that gets monitored here in NZ is 406 MHz so make sure it transmits on that frequency and not the older 121.5 MHz
    The better PLBs also co-transmit a GPS signal (where possible) with the distress signal (the McMurdo and many others do this). This can significantly reduce the time it takes to determine your position and would be a feature to look for.

Also, make sure you register it to your name when you get it.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I made a blog about it: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/en...829-09-2011%29

As suggested, get one that's GPS enabled, narrows your location down to a few metres.

I've got a GME Accusat MT410G PLB. Never used... hopefully never will, but also bought with the intent to use for someone else if I came across something.

Only thing I puzzled over... where to put it. Best in emergency to carry it on you, but I never even carry things like mobiles on me, because if I do come off, they're good for causing you more damage (or breaking them and rendering them useless). Instead I carry it in my locked luggage Not sure what's the best trade off. I've got mine in a red sack, along with survival blanket and tiny first aid kit. If riding with someone I tell them it's location, what it has etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    That's looking like an option.....about the same price as what you'd pay for a good set of armour that can also save your bacon.

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS
    Where to carry the PLB exercised my mind too and I elected to carry it in the top pocket of my jacket, on the basis that if I was separated from the bike and incapacitated the PLB was easily to hand. I am still not entirely convinced of that with the risks of damage to it in the event of a spill, being the other side of the argument.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I don't have a PLB but it does seem a good idea. The problem of where to carry it is the same as with a cellphone. I want it with me, not on the bike where even a few feet away it could be useless. Having solid objects over ribs could prove problematical but if you've a pocket over your gut that could be best for the phone and for the body.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information