Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Kiwi in America

Bike
    Triumph Sprint St 07, G650gs BMW

A Kiwi in America

Some observations on America after a recent visit. Bike and non bike related.

http://rogerfleming-raftnn.blogspot....n-america.html

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Pretty true, lack of protective gear was the norm, I only saw two bins both on biker week near Sturgis. (and in 104+F heat you would die if all leathered up - and on a freeway it would be a waste of time if you arsed-up - it would only serve to hold your run-over-by-an-18-wheeler-or-two body in one piece...maybe.

And a reasonable number of younger guys do like 'canyon carving' on their sports bike- but said canyons are not where most tourists go.

Food (and most other day-today stuff) is waay cheaper (ie my seafood plate at a pub cost me NZ$28 last night, in the US it would be a US$10 or so meal)

I guess only personal injury/illness insurance would be more expensive over there but $12 for fuel after riding 180+ miles (300km) two-up put a smile on my face....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    '07 Honda VFR 800, '94 BMW R1100RS

It's a Different World Up Here....

All right - a thread where I have some experience....

(1) Lack of protective gear: Many Yanks take the slogan "Land of the free, Home of the brave" a bit too literally when it comes to bikes. They think to be "free" and "brave" on a bike, you shouldn't be wearing protective gear. I'm an ATGATT rider; if it's too hot to wear the gear, it's too hot to ride - but I'd say less than half my fellow Yanks feel the same way.

(2) Bikes just aren't a big thing in the U.S. I thnk it has to do with cheap gas, crappy public transportation, widely variable weather, and big distances. Most riders don't like snow, and snow is a fact of life for at least three months out of the year for over half the country. So most everyone has a car - for the winter, for the places public transportation doesn't go - and you therefore don't *need* a bike. Unless you understand why dogs hang their heads out car windows....

(3) Except for some mountain regions (the Sierras along the West coast, the Rockies about a thousand miles east of the Sierras, and the Appalachian Mtns. along the east coast, the U.S. is FLAT. No need to build curved roads - the shortest distance is a straight line, which also explains the huge popularity of Hardly Abelson cruisers - great for going in a straight line.

That's why I'm looking forward to coming to ride in a country where bikes are popular and curves are plentiful (not referring to the types of curves Roger saw in Vegas). Even if it is more pricey than the U.S.....

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoutheart View Post
    That's why I'm looking forward to coming to ride in a country where bikes are popular and curves are plentiful
    yay for plentiful curves.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rimutakas.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	377.8 KB 
ID:	221712  
    F M S

Bike
    Triumph Sprint St 07, G650gs BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoutheart View Post
    All right - a thread where I have some experience....

(1) Lack of protective gear: Many Yanks take the slogan "Land of the free, Home of the brave" a bit too literally when it comes to bikes. They think to be "free" and "brave" on a bike, you shouldn't be wearing protective gear. I'm an ATGATT rider; if it's too hot to wear the gear, it's too hot to ride - but I'd say less than half my fellow Yanks feel the same way.

(2) Bikes just aren't a big thing in the U.S. I thnk it has to do with cheap gas, crappy public transportation, widely variable weather, and big distances. Most riders don't like snow, and snow is a fact of life for at least three months out of the year for over half the country. So most everyone has a car - for the winter, for the places public transportation doesn't go - and you therefore don't *need* a bike. Unless you understand why dogs hang their heads out car windows....

(3) Except for some mountain regions (the Sierras along the West coast, the Rockies about a thousand miles east of the Sierras, and the Appalachian Mtns. along the east coast, the U.S. is FLAT. No need to build curved roads - the shortest distance is a straight line, which also explains the huge popularity of Hardly Abelson cruisers - great for going in a straight line.

That's why I'm looking forward to coming to ride in a country where bikes are popular and curves are plentiful (not referring to the types of curves Roger saw in Vegas). Even if it is more pricey than the U.S.....
    I agree with all of the above. You are most welcome to come down here, I am sure myself and a few other Kbers will look after you! You need a bike that goes around corners though......but you all ready know that!

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    I got to the pic and stopped paying attention.
    What was the article about?
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    . (and in 104+F heat you would die if all leathered up - and on a freeway it would be a waste of time if you arsed-up - it would only serve to hold your run-over-by-an-18-wheeler-or-two body in one piece...maybe.

Can't agree with you there. I rode from LA to Las Vegas in 48 deg c heat, and found it was more bearable with my leather jacket on. Once in Vegas I went for a quick ride with a tee shirt on...and the heat blast was much worse on bare skin. It was fucking hard work though. Sure made the beers at my destination taste REAL good.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Once in Vegas I went for a quick ride with a tee shirt on...and the heat blast was much worse on bare skin. It was fucking hard work though.
    What a tough cunt.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    Various things
    Thanks for noticing!

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Can't agree with you there. I rode from LA to Las Vegas in 48 deg c heat, and found it was more bearable with my leather jacket on. Once in Vegas I went for a quick ride with a tee shirt on...and the heat blast was much worse on bare skin. It was fucking hard work though. Sure made the beers at my destination taste REAL good.
    I wore a long sleeved shirt, short on protection but long on comfort.
    Mrs S.D. bought a leather jacket but quckly had it on the laggage rack, too hot.

We were on a big Harley with large screen and fairing.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    I wore a long sleeved shirt, short on protection but long on comfort.
    Mrs S.D. bought a leather jacket but quckly had it on the laggage rack, too hot.

We were on a big Harley with large screen and fairing.
    Sure is hard work eh! I was on a Buell XB12SS Harley lent me, and I wrung it's neck!

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Sure is hard work eh! I was on a Buell XB12SS Harley lent me, and I wrung it's neck!
    As I said, tough cunt. Wrung its neck? What'd see ya see on the clock, 120?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    As I said, tough cunt. Wrung its neck? What'd see ya see on the clock, 120?
    135...but being nakid (the bike dummy), it felt like 180! Pretty sure I posted picks of the road through Yosemite. Without doubt THE best road I'v ever ridden!

Bike
    Various things
    Here's a couple of picks of THE road for ya...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yos.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	222230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yos1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	222231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yos2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	222232

Just like a giant race track.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Here's a couple of picks of THE road for ya...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yos.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	222230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yos1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	222231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yos2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	222232

Just like a giant race track.
    Holy snappin duckshit! Where do I sign? How long is the road mate?

Thread Information