Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Honda CBR250R

Bike
    Ninja 250R and a S14 Silvia
    Because paying 6-7K for a 21 yr 250cc bike that only comes with a 3 month warranty seems pretty crazy to me (ie the ones you have linked and the first one doesnt even come with O.R.C), when i got my ninja it was $7200 new with a 12 month wof, 6 month reg and 2 yr warranty. I could save up to $1K by buying a 20 yr old bike and risk things going wrong and having to source the parts, or pay the extra $1K have a 2 yr factory warranty and not have to worry about those issues as well as easier access to parts, plus being a learner i didnt feel like i needed the extra power, i mean in the twisties i can still keep up with lots of the bigger bikes and even gain on some riders and thats where the fun is at for me, sure im at the point where i want a bigger bike now but to start out with i still think it was a good choice for me..

Bike
    rego on hold nick smith special
    Blog Entries
    If you've got your head screwed on in the first place you wouldn't need a warranty. Just a way for them to rip you off more $- they'll always find a way to get out of any claims you might have in the end. Seriously, who the fuck buys second hand bikes from stealerships with the exorbitant prices anyway?

I agree with Brayden, the older CBR250RR and ZXR's are better in every way. The new stuff is pure shit.
    ...Full throttle till you see god, then brake.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by brendonjw View Post
    Because paying 6-7K for a 21 yr 250cc bike that only comes with a 3 month warranty seems pretty crazy to me (ie the ones you have linked and the first one doesnt even come with O.R.C), when i got my ninja it was $7200 new with a 12 month wof, 6 month reg and 2 yr warranty. I could save up to $1K by buying a 20 yr old bike and risk things going wrong and having to source the parts, or pay the extra $1K have a 2 yr factory warranty and not have to worry about those issues as well as easier access to parts, plus being a learner i didnt feel like i needed the extra power, i mean in the twisties i can still keep up with lots of the bigger bikes and even gain on some riders and thats where the fun is at for me, sure im at the point where i want a bigger bike now but to start out with i still think it was a good choice for me..
    My CBX cost $675. Im not going to lose money.

Its got 33hp. How much does yours have?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by racefactory View Post
    the older CBR250RR and ZXR's are better in every way. The new stuff is pure shit.
    Agree. I would like a CBR250RR. Dont think it would get boring quick.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Agree. I would like a CBR250RR. Dont think it would get boring quick.
    They don't, I would go back to a ZXR250 or MC22 very happily. Extremely good track bikes too.

Bike
    F3, DRZ400, RVF400, 250 XC-F
    Obviously the newer ninja's are total crap because I hardly see any on the roads at all.... Horses for courses I think. I've had both, a new 'ninja' and an older zxr250. I will admit that as I became a better rider I did enjoy the screaming zxr more, but I still have a soft spot for the new ninja, it is what it is and it does it very well.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by brendonjw View Post

1: An MC19/MC22 will outlast an EX250, this has been proven.
    2: You only need to do preventative maintenance 99% of the time, on the CBR, Hornet or EX250 and they still run rings around an EX250.
    3: Parts for CBR/Hornet are dirt cheap, I can get brake pads and fork seals for the little Hondas for less tha you can believe.
    4: The "older" bikes are built to far higher standards in every department. Get an EX250 to last 150,000km like my Spada did (130,000 were by me and I wasn't kind to it). It bever failed me with the exception of the fuel tap, easy part to source.
    5: A CBR/FZR/ZXR/GSXR/Spada/Hornet/Bandit/Katana (Just to name a few) can all be had for $3500 or less, and all perform better.
    6: You won't lose as much money on an "old" 250.
    7: There is more knowledge out there regarding the "old" ones are far as upgrading and troubleshooting is concerned.
    8: If you were keeping up with bigger bikes, they weren't riding fast, this is not 1970, any capable rider on a fat old 1000cc bike can destroy a noob on anything, anywhere.

There is however nothing really wrong with those "new" ad tarted up EX250's, they just don't add up compared to a $3000 CBR250RR, Hornet, Bandit or Spada.

Oil changes are done at the same time.
    A CBR/Hornet won't need a cam chain and don't seem to throw the valve clearances out as fast as an EX250.
    Chain. tyre, sprockets, fork seals, brake pads seem to wear out in the same amount of time and cost the same to do, with the exception of the Hornet, which has odd tyre sizes.

If you're pulling the "newer bike trick" why not get a second hand EX250 that's done it's big depreciation drop, has been run in and has had its first major service?

Just some biased ramblings, as you were.

EDIT: If you looked at a 20 year old bike for $6-7k, you're fucked anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    1: An MC19/MC22 will outlast an EX250, this has been proven.
    2: You only need to do preventative maintenance 99% of the time, on the CBR, Hornet or EX250 and they still run rings around an EX250.
    3: Parts for CBR/Hornet are dirt cheap, I can get brake pads and fork seals for the little Hondas for less tha you can believe.
    4: The "older" bikes are built to far higher standards in every department. Get an EX250 to last 150,000km like my Spada did (130,000 were by me and I wasn't kind to it). It bever failed me with the exception of the fuel tap, easy part to source.
    5: A CBR/FZR/ZXR/GSXR/Spada/Hornet/Bandit/Katana (Just to name a few) can all be had for $3500 or less, and all perform better.
    6: You won't lose as much money on an "old" 250.
    7: There is more knowledge out there regarding the "old" ones are far as upgrading and troubleshooting is concerned.
    8: If you were keeping up with bigger bikes, they weren't riding fast, this is not 1970, any capable rider on a fat old 1000cc bike can destroy a noob on anything, anywhere.

There is however nothing really wrong with those "new" ad tarted up EX250's, they just don't add up compared to a $3000 CBR250RR, Hornet, Bandit or Spada.

Oil changes are done at the same time.
    A CBR/Hornet won't need a cam chain and don't seem to throw the valve clearances out as fast as an EX250.
    Chain. tyre, sprockets, fork seals, brake pads seem to wear out in the same amount of time and cost the same to do, with the exception of the Hornet, which has odd tyre sizes.

If you're pulling the "newer bike trick" why not get a second hand EX250 that's done it's big depreciation drop, has been run in and has had its first major service?

Just some biased ramblings, as you were.

EDIT: If you looked at a 20 year old bike for $6-7k, you're fucked anyway.

Correct. Very good post, someone had to give in in the end!

The only thing you missed is that the new ninjas etc, apart from fuel injection marketing gimick (come on what's the point really) are just 1980's bikes wrapped up in shiny new plastic. All due respect to Kawasaki!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Lots of cheap MC19s about now. Looked at one last night. Whats the difference between the MC19 and MC22?

Are they easy to live with?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    MC22- dual brake disc setup, same engine but slight differences, different frame with more aggressive geometry, different wheel and tyre sizes.

Yes they are easy to live with and never have any problems. Will outlast new hyobag/ninjas as previously stated.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by racefactory View Post
    MC22- dual brake disc setup, same engine but slight differences, different frame with more aggressive geometry, different wheel and tyre sizes.

Yes they are easy to live with and never have any problems. Will outlast new hyobag/ninjas as previously stated.
    There were slight differences in the engine, just less restricted. Good wee bikes aren't they? I love them.
    The MC22 is a far better bike to ride, the 19 is great too, but the 22 just does everything better. Don't listen to people who claim the MC19 is just as good. I've ridden good examples back to back over the same road and the 22 is an epic machine (apart from being kind of slow)
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Lots of cheap MC19s about now. Looked at one last night. Whats the difference between the MC19 and MC22?

Are they easy to live with?
    I rode one from Auckland to Pahiatua with out too many problems, had a sore bum but on a 550km ride, what do you expect.

They are very reliable, easy to work on and easy to maintain.

They're fun and fast for a 250 and hold their value very well.

Fairings are cheap for them, aftermarket bits are easy enough to get.

I'd own one as a second toy.

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Do they do good wheelies?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Would you rather have a new CBR250 our this,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-400521700.htm

I likes it alot.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Do they do good wheelies?
    I've never done a decent one on them and I can get anything up (and over....and over...and over.... ) but, they will if you're keen enough.

Would you rather have a new CBR250 our this,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-400521700.htm

I likes it alot.
    There's one with those fairings (aftermarket ones; http://www.fairingkits.org/honda-cbr...ng-fk0150.html ) down this way I see it at uni, looks neat. I'd much rather an MC22 though, they look so much nicer, sexy tail...nice swing arm instead of that scungy rectangle one...nicer wheels....nicer everything

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Thread Information