Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Honda CBR250R

Bike
    1992 Suzuki Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    If they put a VTR engine in it, it'd be called VTR250

VT = V-Twin.
    Well i know cbr doesnt stand for inline 4 but all cbr's up until now have been inline 4's.
    I would've preferd if they put the vtr engine in and then maby call it something like the Cbr250rv or whatever.
    Point is its called CBR but CBR's (up until now) have had inline 4s

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    1: An MC19/MC22 will outlast an EX250, this has been proven.
    2: You only need to do preventative maintenance 99% of the time, on the CBR, Hornet or EX250 and they still run rings around an EX250.
    3: Parts for CBR/Hornet are dirt cheap, I can get brake pads and fork seals for the little Hondas for less tha you can believe.
    4: The "older" bikes are built to far higher standards in every department. Get an EX250 to last 150,000km like my Spada did (130,000 were by me and I wasn't kind to it). It bever failed me with the exception of the fuel tap, easy part to source.
    5: A CBR/FZR/ZXR/GSXR/Spada/Hornet/Bandit/Katana (Just to name a few) can all be had for $3500 or less, and all perform better.
    6: You won't lose as much money on an "old" 250.
    7: There is more knowledge out there regarding the "old" ones are far as upgrading and troubleshooting is concerned.
    8: If you were keeping up with bigger bikes, they weren't riding fast, this is not 1970, any capable rider on a fat old 1000cc bike can destroy a noob on anything, anywhere.

There is however nothing really wrong with those "new" ad tarted up EX250's, they just don't add up compared to a $3000 CBR250RR, Hornet, Bandit or Spada.

Oil changes are done at the same time.
    A CBR/Hornet won't need a cam chain and don't seem to throw the valve clearances out as fast as an EX250.
    Chain. tyre, sprockets, fork seals, brake pads seem to wear out in the same amount of time and cost the same to do, with the exception of the Hornet, which has odd tyre sizes.

If you're pulling the "newer bike trick" why not get a second hand EX250 that's done it's big depreciation drop, has been run in and has had its first major service?

Just some biased ramblings, as you were.

EDIT: If you looked at a 20 year old bike for $6-7k, you're fucked anyway.
    Whats you thoughts on say a 1990 FZR250. I like there look.

Bike
    rego on hold nick smith special
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Same as ZXR/ MC22, just not as many around so parts and common knowledge are not as abundant.
    ...Full throttle till you see god, then brake.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by racefactory View Post
    Same as ZXR/ MC22, just not as many around so parts and common knowledge are not as abundant.
    Theres quite a few on TM at the moment. Going to go look at one during the week. Not sure if I can afford it yet but Im explaining that to the seller to be fair. I want to see what the seating position is like. Dont know why but I really like them to look at.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    The 3LN3 onwards with the faired in headlight? IMHO the hottest looking 250 4cyl. I'd own one in a heart beat unless a CBR was advertised for the same price. Most people cannot ride the FZR/CBR/ZXR faster than one another (if that makes sense....) they all go and handle very well. But the CBR will out last the lot of them.
    I've seen a couple of electrical issues with them, nothing major and not many seem to survive past 80,000km. A rebuilt one would be a great bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    The 3LN3 onwards with the faired in headlight? IMHO the hottest looking 250 4cyl. I'd own one in a heart beat unless a CBR was advertised for the same price. Most people cannot ride the FZR/CBR/ZXR faster than one another (if that makes sense....) they all go and handle very well. But the CBR will out last the lot of them.
    I've seen a couple of electrical issues with them, nothing major and not many seem to survive past 80,000km. A rebuilt one would be a great bike.

Like this one?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=384865774

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Yeah that's a 3LN3, damn good looking bike! I'd say it's been thrown down the road, hence the repaint/new fairings, but, most 250's have been on their side a few times.
    Looks tidy though, I'd definitely consider it. I'm sure that has been on TradeMe for a while?
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Yeah that's a 3LN3, damn good looking bike! I'd say it's been thrown down the road, hence the repaint/new fairings, but, most 250's have been on their side a few times.
    Looks tidy though, I'd definitely consider it. I'm sure that has been on TradeMe for a while?
    Thats not the one Im looking at though. theres one for 2.5k thats an 89. If I sold my bike for good money and some other things to. Maybe sold my body on K rd for a bit I could afford it. Do kinda like my CBX though. Not sure yet, see how I feel on a FZR. Ive had some tumbles in life and the bodys a bit knocked about. Biggest problem I have is a right hip that wont let me lift my leg enough to get on some bikes. Fucked if I can get on a Hyosung GT250 without a box to stand on.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Thats not the one Im looking at though. theres one for 2.5k thats an 89. If I sold my bike for good money and some other things to. Maybe sold my body on K rd for a bit I could afford it. Do kinda like my CBX though. Not sure yet, see how I feel on a FZR. Ive had some tumbles in life and the bodys a bit knocked about. Biggest problem I have is a right hip that wont let me lift my leg enough to get on some bikes. Fucked if I can get on a Hyosung GT250 without a box to stand on.
    The FZR has a low seat height, all the bikes back then tended too, my ZZR has a low seat height (not anymore...) I have hip problems too, I just pray each time I lift my right leg The FZR has a very race-esque riding position though.

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Also have to see if my tummy will get over the tank to reach the bars.

Looks like I will be going down one night after work, maybe tomorrow.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Also have to see if my tummy will get over the tank to reach the bars.

Looks like I will be going down one night after work, maybe tomorrow.
    It'll be fine!

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Agree. I would like a CBR250RR. Dont think it would get boring quick.
    -1. I loved the CBR250RR when I had it. I originally got it when I got my restricted, but I kept it for quite a while after I had my full. I kept it for so long because it was just such a fun bike.

Nothing ever went wrong on it. Never had anything break down on it.

Even now I think fondly back on it.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Would you rather have a new CBR250 our this,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-400521700.htm

I likes it alot.
    A 20 year old pre-crashed Fakesol, or a new CBR? No brainer, new one all the way. Lipstick on a pig that is. Doesn't matter which way you look at it, all the 4 stroke 250s are slow pieces of shite.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    -1. I loved the CBR250RR when I had it. I originally got it when I got my restricted, but I kept it for quite a while after I had my full. I kept it for so long because it was just such a fun bike.

Nothing ever went wrong on it. Never had anything break down on it.

Even now I think fondly back on it.
    I never turn down a ride on one, even after the 600 they're fun

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    rego on hold nick smith special
    Blog Entries
    I never turn down a ride on one, even after the 600 they're fun
    Fully agree with that.

They can do 1.14 around pukekohe stock so there's definitely some entertainment to be had. Good bikes and I'd have one in a heartbeat.
    ...Full throttle till you see god, then brake.

Thread Information