Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CG125 Bucket Project

Bike
    2008 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Std

CG125 Bucket Project

Well I got a CG125 - thanks to those who gave me some info in a previous thread. I dont really have much of an idea of what I am doing as not particulalrly mechanically minded!! But having a ball and its coming along - just hope it starts again!! Here are some pics so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CG125.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	222450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	478.3 KB 
ID:	222448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	331.3 KB 
ID:	222447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	397.7 KB 
ID:	222451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	417.6 KB 
ID:	222446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0137.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	412.6 KB 
ID:	222449  

Bike
    I stripped it down - went a bit further than I originally intended in the heat of the moment!!

Ended up with the frame - so cleaned it up and touched it up. SLowly put it back together, cleaning bits as i went, stripped forks and changed fork oil, cleaned carb (have a GN250 one but am going to leave standard one on until I know it goes!) attached an aftermarket exhaust.

Inverted and flipped handlebars - having a bit of trouble getting cables right.

I also stripped and cleaned tank ready to spray - although the bare metal looks kind of cool. Unfortunately stripping the tank exposed a few pinholes in the underneath so have got some JB Weld and patched - now waiting to see if that works.

Also fitted an overflow bottle. Got a race CDI before realising this bike doesnt have a CDI!! doh. (please dont laugh) Also got a better quality HT lead but the current one is sealed so not sure if its worth splicing the NGK one in or not?

Bike
    2010 CB600f & a couple of bucket RB's
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adengel View Post
    I stripped it down - went a bit further than I originally intended in the heat of the moment!!

I also stripped and cleaned tank ready to spray - although the bare metal looks kind of cool. Unfortunately stripping the tank exposed a few pinholes in the underneath so have got some JB Weld and patched - now waiting to see if that works.

Also fitted an overflow bottle. Got a race CDI before realising this bike doesnt have a CDI!! doh. (please dont laugh) Also got a better quality HT lead but the current one is sealed so not sure if its worth splicing the NGK one in or not?
    Wow, for someone who isn't "mechanically minded" you done a very impressive job and the exhaust looks cool.

You can buy a patrol repair tank that in essence lines the inside of the tank, and very easy to do (even I was able to use it), comes with every thing you'll need. I just can't remember what it's called. In my view it's the easiest, cost effective (when you include your time) most convenient way to seal a tank.

Have you looked at your gearing yet size of drive/driven sprockets?

Pity your not in Wgtn. I'd love to see it in the flesh.
    Yes 4 strokes are for homos. Homo-sapiens that is, who have realized bigger is better.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I also stripped and cleaned tank ready to spray - although the bare metal looks kind of cool.
    You could always looking at covering the tank with a clear lacquer.

I would bother to much about the HT lead unless the resistance is out of spec.
    Yes 4 strokes are for homos. Homo-sapiens that is, who have realized bigger is better.

Bike
    Thanks for that, appreciate your comments. Would someone like Repco have those repair kits? Yes think I will leave HT lead at least unitl its all going again.
    No havent done gearing yet - will have to get advice from the Ruapuna boys on that.

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    The tank repair stuff I recall from years ago was called Creem.
    I wouldn't go splicing HT leads, sounds like a recipie for disaster.

edit. That would be Krem with a K

http://www.dirtguide.co.nz/products/...epair_kit.aspx

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket
    Looking good. So we'll see you at MCI on Saturday. Great to see a nicely turned out bike
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that, appreciate your comments. Would someone like Repco have those repair kits? Yes think I will leave HT lead at least unitl its all going again.
    No havent done gearing yet - will have to get advice from the Ruapuna boys on that.
    I would try a proper automotive store instead of Repco for one of these kits. We have Road and Track up here who are fantastic.

Bike
    miWhodeXD
    Looks great. I think striping a bike to the frame shows you are pretty capable and confident on the mechanical side - well done! You can't beat taking a bike out on the track that you have throughly worked on and checked over. Even though I have made many mistakes on rebuilding bikes, I just feel better when I have put it all together. Feels awesome when it all finally works .

Bike
    Thanks guys - must admit I do feel pretty chuffed with myself - but it still has to start again! and run without bits falling off lol! The CG is as people said is a good first bike and with a manual fairly straight forward, (seems all that lego and model makng as a kid paid off a little !!) I would recomend them to beginers like me, must admit though I didnt strip the engine it seemed to run ok before.

Whats on this Saturday? MCI? I havent seen anything in the calender? Cheers

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    POR 15 make a tank sealent, I've used it on 3 tanks. Comes in a litre tin and you also need the metal prep. About $50.00 ish.... Most large auto paint suppliers should have it.
    Pictures show, liquid Por 15, cleaned up with Metal Ready, 9 years of sitting in Japan.... pin hole leak and lots of surface rust.

I started a GL 145 and it sounds like a similar points/magneto set up. With the wiring, you just need to find the wire that comes from the flywheel magneto, and run it to the coil. The one from the points you can run to a kill switch on the bars. The kill switch will have one wire and connected to the frame via the switch,hit the switch and the points are open circuited.
    I just removed the whole wiring loom and used some 1.5mm cable I had, about 2 metres should do it ( then you still have the wiring loom just in case).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	900SS Tank 007..jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	329.9 KB 
ID:	222508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	900SS Tank 004..jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	352.7 KB 
ID:	222509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02639..JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	222510  
    Last edited by Voltaire; 1st November 2010 at 07:05. Reason: added electrical bit.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    XT660r
    Would someone like Repco have those repair kits?
    Fluffy dice and Stereo's are Repco's Limit

Get some Por15 like Volty has used

Your bike is bike is looking good

Bike
    Katana 1135, RG500, GSXR1100, KX250
    Good to see another mighty CG125...

If you need any help with the motor let me know... I rebuilt mine and was amazed at this little motor. First push rod engine I have ever seen.

I have a workshop manual etc if you want a copy.
    One for the road...
    Kat1230 (81), GSXR1100 (86), RG500 (86)
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    First push rod engine I have ever seen

My first was a VW engine....second was a BMW twin.... I've always wanted to see a motor with Pull Rods....I know of only one.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Thanks again Guys - I got a manual I would have been a little lost without it! Thanks for the offer of help on the engine, once I know its going ok I may well take you up on that. I have seen 150cc kits on Ebay that I may look at ( but they seem unbelievably cheap?!?) and would like to change the gear box at some stage - not too keen on the 4 down thing, but that may be a little beyond me at this stage!

Thread Information