Thread: 86's PMCC Summer Series

Bike
    GSXR750G Daytona 955 Tiger DR650 ZRX1200

86's PMCC Summer Series

Well I was stoked with the first round as I managed a pb of 1:23 not once but three times and, a 3rd and 4th in class for the day

I couldn't do the practise day due to working and come Sunday I arrived at the track, signed in and scrutinered and got out first up for Post Classics qualifying. It was great finally having a dry track and the qualifying seemed quite relaxed and I managed a 1:25 which was my previous pb. This put me in 10th position and that was fine by me.

It was great to see a couple of other older Gixxers out there, especially bike No 88 which looked pretty immaculate.

R1. Despite some shower activity in the distance, the track stayed dry and I got off to a pretty awful start really. But I managed to gain some ground, get past a few folk and the bike felt good. Amazing what a difference a dry track does for ones confidence when running street tyres. These Pilot Road 2's have certainly seen me right so far and today was no different. No sign of slippage except once coming out of Higgins on the first and coldest lap. I'd given the bike an oil change the week before and that seemed to have kept her happy

Had a great battle with Natasha Hollows who got me in a great move on the inside of the hairpin before I finally manged to get past again out of Toyota a couple of laps later thanks to a slight edge in horsepower.

By the time the white flag came out the shower had just started to make it's appearance and everyone slowed down fractionally. I wouldn't call it wet, but there was just enough moisture around so as to be able to see the lead bikes tyre tracks. So with just a bit of caution applied out of Dunlop it was past the chequered flag and I was totally rapt to see 9th overall, 4th in class and 3 laps at 1:23, a whole 2 secs faster than my previous pb

R2. Got a better start this time and again managed to find some free track space. Got past about three bikes during the race but I was was on my own for most of it. I think I was slowly closing on the leaders in the distance but this may have been delusional thinking lol. I did manage however to lap a couple of bikes during the last lap which was a first.

Finished 8th overall with a 3rd in class - stoked, and it all felt relaxed with no major moments.

So, so far so good and I'm loving this exploration of an classic elderly racing machine who just seems to be getting better and better
    It's only Rock and Roll but I like it

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    awesome effort!.. it was good seeing you being a bit more aggressive out there and good to see laptimes coming down. Apologies for not being as supportive as I should have been.. I didnt click on the 1.23 was a PB but it looked good! i was a little tied up in my own little world and having a bit of an average day.

Anyhow.. great effort. bring on Taupo 3 hour!.. Nothing like a 3 hour race to practice for R2 huh?

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    Cheers Yep, I've worked out that it doesn't pay to be too polite when passing as long as one doesn't go off the track in the process. No worries on the support thing, you had bike stuff to deal with. Hell yes, bring on the 3 hour!!!

Bike
    Speed Triple - in bogan black
    Good stuff indeed!
    Gian seemed to have a ball on his maiden voyage into racing (#88) You have given him some times to aspire to. Just what a newbee needs!

Strangly enough, you also set a chalange for the wife, to complete a race on her pink and black machine without being lapped.
    Bring on the 3hr!
    Bring on the rest of the summer's racing!
    Good luck for the rest of your season.
    There is no dark side of the moon, really, as a matter of fact. Its all dark...

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Congrats on the new PB babe, nice to finally get a dry track to have some fun on aye

(was gonna say not bad for an ole bugger .. buttttt ahh what the hell .. good to see ya not quite ready for the zimmer frame )
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Brilliant effort Al, I didn't click on it being your PB either, well done.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Awesome Al! I will definitely have to get out there to see the old girl in action. Loving the pics on FB!

Bike
    Well it turned out to be quite an average day riding wise but a great day socially nonetheless.

I hadn't been on the bike at Manfield for 2 1/2 months and qualified 13th overall with a 1:26. 27 bikes on the grid!

R1. Got off to shocking start and got totally swamped going into turn 1 but managed to fight my way through and finish 12th with a best time of 1:25, 2 secs off my pb at the first round. The track was in good condition although the wind was picking up a little with gusty northwesterlies causing some interesting conditions.

Turning downwind out of the sweeper I thought I heard a rattle somewhere on the bike. Checked it for loose bits after the race, couldn't see anything so put it down to odd wind induced acoustics. The bike also seemed a little 'down' on speed although it was running very well. I put this down to being off it for so long and the wind.

R2. Determined to get a better start this time I really gunned it and was rewarded by arriving at turn 1 in quite a good position, about 8th or 9th I think which I managed to hold onto for the majority of the race and just kept a relaxed pace going which was enough to hold onto it. With about three laps to go I got passed by Natasha Hollows in a very nice move through the esses. Thinking I'd repay the compliment (if I could) I picked it up a little only to discover I had nothng there. The bike started bogging down and running pretty rough. Damn I thought, an electrical breakdown. I kept going but couldn't really get above 7K.

Got passed twice more before the chequered flag and the bike stopped completely. Got it restarted and back to the pits where Gian Louie discovered the number 1 cylinder header pipe flange bolts were completely missing and the flange itself hanging around the bottom of the pipe!

Needless to say this was the cause of the huge power loss and I hope I haven't done any major damage.

Finished 14th overall with another 1:25 and managed 31 points for the day so really not too bad an effort.

Must get some slicks as I reached the rear PR2's limit today and got a very large slide which nearly threw me off. Being oversize the rear has a massive dropoff with buggerall contact patch at large lean angles. Has great stick though.

Good to catch up with some of the crew and good to meet some new faces
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	116.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	228937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	117.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	228938  

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    still better than a day at work huh?

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    1987 GSXR750
    Hah i've been there a few times with the header bolts coming loose. Makes a hell of a racket - sounded mighty similar to when I bent a rod in mine so when I first heard it I was paranoid I'd nuked my engine again

Don't think you'll have done any harm, might've sucked in a bit of cold air over the hot valves but you're probably fine if it was just half a race

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitLooPs View Post
    Hah i've been there a few times with the header bolts coming loose. Makes a hell of a racket - sounded mighty similar to when I bent a rod in mine so when I first heard it I was paranoid I'd nuked my engine again

Don't think you'll have done any harm, might've sucked in a bit of cold air over the hot valves but you're probably fine if it was just half a race
    Cheers for that. Yep, I'd say it'll be alright, got the bolts last week, just need to fit them and all should be fine Sure sounded ugly tho!

Thread Information