Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triumph you rock/suck?

Bike
    GSX-R 750

Triumph you rock/suck?

Had to take the tail piece off my 675 for the first time last week. Imagine my excitement when four allen head bolts later it just lifted off. All my previous bikes (including a similarly aged ZX6R) all required some form of tilt, bend, slide, tilt again and then pull so I was stoked and still praising the the pride of hinckley when I discovered that the next 6 bolts removed from it were all rusty and someshat seized in their respective nuts and or threaded recepticles. Given the bikes age Im assuming sub standard components but has anyone see this before on a newish bike....

Bike
    1970 Vespa ss90
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckylegs View Post
    Had to take the tail piece off my 675 for the first time last week. Imagine my excitement when four allen head bolts later it just lifted off. All my previous bikes (including a similarly aged ZX6R) all required some form of tilt, bend, slide, tilt again and then pull so I was stoked and still praising the the pride of hinckley when I discovered that the next 6 bolts removed from it were all rusty and someshat seized in their respective nuts and or threaded recepticles. Given the bikes age Im assuming sub standard components but has anyone see this before on a newish bike....
    I can relate.

It comes down to substandard plating on the substandard material fasteners, its been a problem with all the major manufacturers since the late nineties.

Its frustrating for a mechanic to TRY to explain to a customer that several of his fasteners (which have never been turned from new) on his 3 year old bike have been so hard to remove that they need to be replaced (and.... there is an extra hour on the service bill), due to corrosion.

It, unfortunately is a "fact of life" in the mass produced, profit driven market, and, I agree, it sucks.

If it is any consolation, at work we have a €21,000 VW van, that is 4 years old, and, by all means could be considered "luxury", even with such an expensive van, the plating on the rear door lock (clearly made in china) is completely gone (only 4 years old), and rusted solid.... a part the size of a NZ 50c piece,(made in china) and it costs €48 for a new one.... SIGH.....

"Not like when I was a lad" (Blah Blah)

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Like SS90 said, it's not uncommon and we often come across rusty factory fitted items at work.

Just this weekend, I removed my partner's mirrors (11 month old Bonneville SE), only to find one chrome thread starting to rust. I coated them with Prolan anti-seize, which I'm finding great for items rusty.

Never found a rusty fastener on my S3 though.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    ...Glad its not just me. I certainly hadnt seen anything like it on my 06 ZX6R so was surprised. Luckily they are on seldomly removed bits, although this may make it worse I guess.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Triumph would have to be the worst of all the "high end" manufacturers IMHO.

I've seen a friends Annivesary T100 when it was only a few weeks old and never seen a wet road, front wheel rim covered in rust spots. From memory the handlebars did the same.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I've seen a friends Annivesary T100 when it was only a few weeks old and never seen a wet road, front wheel rim covered in rust spots. From memory the handlebars did the same.
    Thats really interesting. A guy at work has been looking at these too. As much as Ive been encouraging him (to get him back on bike). I'll be sure to let him know that.

...Blardy british huh ? Its this sort of attention to detail that see's the "empire" getting snaller and smaller

Bike
    XR1200x, Triumph Speed Four
    My Speed Four is now six years old and there are no rusty bits on it anywhere (probably 'cause most if it is plastic...). The chrome seems to have stayed on all the nuts and bolts and anywhere else it should be. The bike doesn't often get ridden in the rain (because I'm an old fart who hates getting wet) and generally gets washed and shoved in the garage to dry off over the next day or two.....
    Maybe I'm just lucky and got a good 'un.
    "Twilight's like soccer. They run around for two hours, nobody scores, and a billion fans insist you just don't understand"

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpy View Post
    My Speed Four is now six years old and there are no rusty bits on it anywhere (probably 'cause most if it is plastic...). The chrome seems to have stayed on all the nuts and bolts and anywhere else it should be. The bike doesn't often get ridden in the rain (because I'm an old fart who hates getting wet) and generally gets washed and shoved in the garage to dry off over the next day or two.....
    Maybe I'm just lucky and got a good 'un.
    Long time no see!
    Yep, my Speed Four was fantastic in that regard. No rust/corrosion issues in the 70,000km that I had it for.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Triumph would have to be the worst of all the "high end" manufacturers IMHO.

I've heard a similar story, but in this case it was the rear and the owner took it back to the dealer. Problem was blamed on salt spray during shipping and rear end was replaced under warranty.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Ducati V4S Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I've heard a similar story, but in this case it was the rear and the owner took it back to the dealer. Problem was blamed on salt spray during shipping and rear end was replaced under warranty.
    Salt spray during shipping? Yeah right!

Closed containers prevent that, unless it was "shipped" on the back of a ute that used the beach as a highway.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...hroming-Skills.

Faults appear in all brands.
    I wouldn't say Triumph are better/worse than most of the major brands, but I will say that apart from a front wheel being not up to scratch, 40000kms later the scrambler hasn't missed a beat mechanically, (hasn't even required a valve shim yet).

Anvils sometimes have a slight imperfection also. The comparrison is worthy.
    Triumph still rocks, my faith is still intact.
    (Fooking I-tie parts are another story)

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    2 non rusty bolts and a pair of clippy things on the Hornet to remove the tail. Mind you that's after you undid two fasteners to remove the side covers (does that count?)

I've not found any rusty nuts etc in 3 years, mind you I am pretty anal with cleaning the bike hell I even clean the underside of the engine every now and then

My name is Allan and I am a cleanaholic.

Re rusty - rode a demo Guzzi a couple years back - rusty bolts and nuts everywhere.

If you read the British bike mags it sounds like they cover the entire bike in WD40 on a regular basis - that will stop rust!

I'd buy a Triumph. Anyone got some spare money to donate to me?

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Like SS90 said, it's not uncommon and we often come across rusty factory fitted items at work.

Just this weekend, I removed my partner's mirrors (11 month old Bonneville SE), only to find one chrome thread starting to rust. I coated them with Prolan anti-seize, which I'm finding great for items rusty.

Never found a rusty fastener on my S3 though.
    The screw that holds on the headlamp cover (underneath) has rusted on both headlights on my 3 month old Speedy. Will find a stainless replacement. I won't bother with a warranty blah blah as they'll probably just replace it with an equivalent substandard screw
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Bleeding RoHS showing it's unwelcome head again. Many of the goodstuff we enjoyed in cleaning, platings, petrol & all sorts are now not legal to use.

Triumph could hardly be called 'High End'. They sell their bikes incredibly competitively, so the accountants have had a huge part to play in parts specification.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    2 non rusty bolts and a pair of clippy things on the Hornet to remove the tail.
    Hondas, like their owners, require quick release for easy access to the rear........
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Thread Information