Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Registration plate not displayed in correct manner

Bike
    Bobber, dirt & tour

Registration plate not displayed in correct manner

REGISTRATION PLATE NOT DISPLAYED IN CORRECT MANNER

Hi, sorry if this is going around old visited threads, but I did a huge search last night and couldn’t find it... or any similar...
    I have been told that such a thread exists and someone has had the same issue as my self... apparently it went to court and he got off... I’d like to see the thread or circumstances... if it’s true.

Also don’t think this just relates to side mount number plates, it could also easily be tail tidy and angled plates...

I have been pulled over by the police on several occasions and nothing has been bought up... just doing checks they say... so off I go...
    Anyway this time... I was on the way to a charity ride with a couple of young riders, I was riding behind one who had a learners licence and “L” plate on his bike, on his 1st motorway extrusion south, we were riding at the reduced required speed in the left lanes of the motorway doing absolutely nothing wrong.
    I felt I was pulled over for no reason, and initially the officer wouldn’t confirm why, he had followed me for some time, on the back of previously being stopped for nothing caused me to be anxious, and I started to feel discriminated against. And yes, I do also realise a police officer can require me to stop for a roadside vehicle check at any time.
    It was only after a period of time and thought he mentioned why, he then took some photos and mentioned that he would consider action, he didn’t like the way my plate was fixed... and where.
    It’s a side mount plate on a custom Sportster I have just finished building...
    Now, there are many 100’s maybe 1000’s of motorcycles, boat trailers, trailers and trucks in New Zealand with plates mounted this way....

Anyway a ticket was issued and posted out, I wrote in explaining

I have recently finished rebuilding this motorcycle, 26th August 2010, I have had motorcycles for 35 years and am a motorcycle enthusiast not a gang member, have never been one and never will, since completion of this motorcycle I have been pulled over several times by the Police and there have not been any issues, just checks, no issue had never been raised.
    During this motorcycle build I have been sure to see that it has meet the law as to compliance for LVV Certification and WOF regs, in which it has both, I had thought I had followed all the requirements to the correct procedures. The company who manufactured the part for me has been building and modifying motorcycles for over 25 years that I know of; at the time of build there was no question of clarity of the number plate... to display in a prescribed manner.
    During the LVV Certification and WOF there was also no question on the plate, to display in a prescribed manner.
    My whole base line on building this motorcycle unlike some out there is that I wanted it legal so I didn’t have any problem... that is why I thoroughly pursued and complied with LVV Certification, a WOF and Registration.
    Also quoting such legislation we found like...
    NZ Transport Agency web site; Motorcycle requirements:

In addition to the warrant of fitness, a motorcycle must display a current licence label and a number plate on the back that can be clearly seen

But they have rejected my explanation and want to pursue it and responded with,

Transport (VRL) notice 1995
    6 Affixing of registration plates (other than trade plates)
    • Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle shall be displayed as follows:
    o (a) in the case of a motor vehicle other than a motor vehicle of any of the kinds specified in paragraph (b), one plate shall be displayed on the front of the vehicle and one plate shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle, and both plates shall be in an upright position and so displayed that every letter, figure, and distinguishing mark on the plate is easily visible:
    (b) In the case of any motorcycle, moped, tractor, or trailer, one plate shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle in an upright position and so displayed that every letter, figure, and distinguishing mark on the plate is easily visible

(What is upright)

Which is on a NZ Government web site separate to LVV Certification and WOF regs and NZ Transport Agency legislation...
    It would be too easy to have everything in one place?!!

Anyway, can anyone help me find this thread or have any information pertaining to such... it will affect many if this is their latest campaign to attack motorcycles...

Pie and coffee are as important as petrol.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Its also discussed in http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-Number-plates

I did consider merging the two threads, but this one (side mount) seems particular to custom cruisers.

My amatuer reading of the legislation is that as long as the plate is visible and readable from the rear at an angle of 45 degrees from either side then it would be legal. I have seen plates on some HDs that wouldn't meet that criteria.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Bobber, dirt & tour
    Fantastic.. thanks for that..

but the debate still remains... as apart from safety and a OSH letter no one seems to have resolved this issue?

spose the main point would be? the wording upright...

upright is to me not layed back. so its easily seen... not portrait or landscape
    mine is upright in my mind

any laywers here?

Pie and coffee are as important as petrol.

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    (I'm no lawyer, but... at first I thought the same about "upright", thinking a plate that's mounted sideways met that criteria. But then I figured, by the same criteria , this becomes an issue...

As usual, the law's an ass.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EhWhat.GIF 
Views:	144 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	223052  
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnben2 View Post
    upright is to me not layed back. so its easily seen... not portrait or landscape
    mine is upright in my mind
    Sorry dude disagree with you. Upright is simply upright in every sense of the word. You've chosen to accept only a partial definition of upright in a single axis only, and blissfully ignoring the others.
    Its like telling a buyer "Yep she runs sweet as mate" but omitting "only under 4000rpm".

By your definition you are also claiming it is legal to mount a plate upside down as long as it is not layed back. (bah beaten to it...)

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    Now if you could buy vertical plates i.e.

H
    O
    O
    N

...then you'd be sweet.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Sounds like you got a cop with nothing better to do, who wanted to justify the time he spent stopping you.

I had a similar thing many years ago on my car, it had the old black/silver plate with the numbers painted red, got stopped numerous times with no problem then one day a cop ticketed me for it because apparently it wasn't legal.

Or perhaps they're just preparing for the introduction of automatic plate recognition cameras, and they can't deal with plates mounted other than horizontal?
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000S K7
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    Or perhaps they're just preparing for the introduction of automatic plate recognition cameras, and they can't deal with plates mounted other than horizontal?
    Definitely! Already in service in Auckland and Wellington.

So this begs the question, how do the boy racers get away with their sloping plates front and rear?
    Also to my mind, plates have to be visible at 22 degrees from the side (speed camera angle).
    Thought for the day: Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they're funny when they're pushed down the stairs. Also: Who picks up guide dog shit?

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by johnben2 View Post
    REGISTRATION PLATE NOT DISPLAYED IN CORRECT MANNER

Sorry to hear that, what a crock of shit eh!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    L0 GSXR-R 1000 #87

was not going to post but...

Thought what a load of bollocks I can't even remember how many of these exact charges I have goten off... 4 -5 at least. Win it every time. Half the time they wont show up, other half of the time the assistant JP will throw it out before it even gets in front of a judge and he will just say its thrown out you may go, the only one time it went to court I took pics as normal and judge took one look at it, asked the cop for an explanation and threw it out - I didn't even have to plead my case. Fight it, still its a day off work. continue to use ur plates, be calm, not rude, obey, don't pull over immediately wave and tell him you will when its safe, above all dont act like a pussy, know the law and ur rights and go ride ur custom cruiser. I'm all for standing out in a crowd.
    Firestarter Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirestarterRacing

Racing thanks to:

www.fluidcoatings.co.nz
    www.motostyle.co.nz
    MAXIMA racing Oils
    www.projectdigital.co.nz
    METZELER Tires
    New Plymouth Motorcycle Center
    www.topstitch.co.nz/

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    (b) In the case of any motorcycle, moped, tractor, or trailer, one plate shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle in an upright position and so displayed that every letter, figure, and distinguishing mark on the plate is easily visible

With vertical mount plates the issue will be visibility from the opposide side being restricted by the rear wheel.

However - I can go to my Harley dealer and purchase a NEW Sporty 48 that has a factory side mount plate.

Also - police don't really need a reason to pull you - they can just ask for a documentation check and go from there. Yours sounds like he may have had a bad day. Darn shame he did not issue a 'warning'.

Hey - post some pictures of your HD - sounds interesting.

Bike
    TBC
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post

Preparing?? already in use......

http://www.3news.co.nz/New-crime-fig...8/Default.aspx

Bike
    2001 Bandit 1200S, 1996 Triumph T/Bird
    LOL... Bleeding heart civil libertarians whinging again....

Had it here on Monday, just for the day - what a great thing to have. No stolen vehicles, but a few disqually drivers.... disqually coz they were pissed!

BUt hey, the civil libertarians can moan all they like - I like the idea of keeping piss heads off MY roads. And finding stolen stuff....

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Its also discussed in http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-Number-plates

I did consider merging the two threads, but this one (side mount) seems particular to custom cruisers.

My amatuer reading of the legislation is that as long as the plate is visible and readable from the rear at an angle of 45 degrees from either side then it would be legal. I have seen plates on some HDs that wouldn't meet that criteria.
    I beleive the basic requirements are as follows:
    must be clearly visible from directly behind.
    the edges of the plate must be parallel to the ground.
    so staight up and down, or laying long ways is fine, as long as it isnt at a 45 degree angle, from bottom left to top right. so
    _ is fint
    l is fine
    / is NOT fine.

go to court, tell him to get fucked, by gently ramming the relative legislation up his arse.

Thread Information