Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dammit, an oil thread for Katie

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Red face Dammit, an oil thread for Katie

Currently my KTM 990 SM runs on the factory oil for her, Motorex Fully Synthetic 10W50 and has done since the first service (as specified by KTM). I believe she had a special run-in oil for the first 1000km, but KTM doesn't actually specify what it is.

The issue is burn rate. Half way through the service interval of 7500km, I'm having to put 500-1000ml of oil in, to top her up. This usage is not abnormal, as they say, KTMs use oil, unlike Hondas that you leave alone between services.

She is now a little over 2 years old, outside the official warranty period and has around 58,500km on the clock. The issue I'm starting to find is that big rides of 1000km+ could leave her short on oil just after the halfway mark of the interval, and next year, I could be doing over 4500km before wanting to fill with oil. For the KTM, the oil does cooling as well as lubrication, so as the oil quantity drops, the oil has to work harder.

So the question. Does anyone have suggestions on what oil to switch to? Some have suggested a semi-synth. My basic requirement is just as much engine protection at a minimum and a reduced burn rate. One of the mechs who have worked on my bike has suggested giving Elf a call to discuss, another friend has said Elf is only mid range?

Cost isn't really the issue. As long as its available, protects the engine and ideally, barely burns away during a service interval...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    BMW R1200RT
    Hi
    I have a BMW 1150 which uses oil ( It's a boxer thing/ BMW thing). I have found that it uses more oil if it is synthetic oil. Try non synthetic oils and see if it makes any difference.
    Ride it until the wheels fall off...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    The local KTM shop uses Motul oils. I've no idea if this reduces oil consumption.

Sounds like you require a oversize scot oiler for the engine!

I had a Suzuki that was thirsty on oil - I found it used less oil running a non synthetic. It also burnt more at low speeds ie around town, but was Ok on a thrashing, Suzukis eh?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Sounds like you require a oversize scot oiler for the engine!
    Or an oil that doesn't burn as fast

I've spoken to Elf today, their technical guy has recommended a 10W60, which ironically, my shop has just taken delivery of yesterday.

Same old story, now I have to put some kilometres on her to get up to service interval so we can swap the oil out and try some Elf.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Thinking
    Mobil 1 what are you fucking around for

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil View Post
    Mobil 1 what are you fucking around for

Where were you earlier today then? So Mr Mobil, what oil would suitably replace Motorex Fully Synthetic 10W50, providing as much (or more) protection, and a reduced burn rate?

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

Where were you earlier today then? So Mr Mobil, what oil would suitably replace Motorex Fully Synthetic 10W50, providing as much (or more) protection, and a reduced burn rate?
    He did say "Mobil 1" ....

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    I had been running a Semi-synthetic Motul in the 14 but during a the 24,000km shim check AFC put the same fully synthetic Motorex you're using in your bike, it used oil where as it never had with the Motul semi. Prices for oil have also gone up since then and doing an oil change on the 14 would cost approx $140 plus any top up's plus filter which i'm sorry is just farking crazy!! I've gone back to Motul Semi and changing every 5000km. One thing I will say though is the fully synthetic did result in quite a bit nicer gear change.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Same old story, now I have to put some kilometres on her to get up to service interval so we can swap the oil out and try some Elf.
    Nah - just dump it and try the new stuff, it will just piss you off otherwise.

Mobil make a 'big twin' bike oil I believe - Quasi will know.

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    I only run Mobil 1- 4T Racing < 15/50 > in my RSVR & my customers Aprilia's have done for 4ys now , its made for big V- Twin bikes & is bike specific oil .....Plain Mobil 1 is a car oil & has not being designed for a motorbike gearbox !

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Bike
    Thinking
    Yes Sensei Mobil 1 racing 4t 15W-50 is what I mean , its a awesome oil and the one which others use as a benchmark, we aren't allowed to say the worlds leading synthetic oil for nothing eh.
    As far as burn rates gremlin, possibly not alot to do with the oil more so with the bike however a higher viscosity index along with a good additive package to prevent oil thickening will be key which Mobil 1 will provide you.

The Mobil 1 V twin 20W-50 is more so designed for Harleys etc.
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    I've been using Motul 300V 10W-40 for the last couple of years, but I think I'll be returning to Mobil 1 4T on my next change.

Both excellent oils, but I just can't justify the price of Motul at around $115. I should be able to procure Mobil 1 4T locally for around $60.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I should be able to procure Mobil 1 4T locally for around $60.
    I was quoted $155.00. Trade. Yesterday.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    This is only the tip of the iceberg ... Gremlin will no doubt find some other weird and wacky way to run his bike!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    I was quoted $155.00. Trade. Yesterday.
    Bargain if you're getting 3 packs. Anza have it for $108, local garage $79.95 and there's a mobile mechanical shop that sells it cheaper again.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Thread Information