Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Country Tourer?

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Yamaha 1200 Tenere?
    Chuck a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts on it and it'd be in the hunt for best all round bike.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Graham View Post
    My choice would be the Kawasaki Concours 1400. Its looking likley to be the bike that replaces the 14 when the time comes (not happening any day soon mind)

It is considered the best of the larger tourers for hustling its burden along at an impressive pace even in the twisties!

Not sure what its 'off road' capabilities would be though but I guess if you had the experience on the metal it should do just fine.
    Fine on a gravel road as long as you're not trying to keep up with a dirt bike. Plenty of mass and wide bars make for easy handling.

Can run with the sports bikes when the rider is keen.

350km range is pretty easy if punting hard then you may end up dipping into the 4L reserve but still should get near this range. If only it had the 28L tank of the original C10 Connie...

Seat could be better. Service intervals are 12,000km - mine does get an oil change at 6,000 though.

The new model includes a few missing items that most riders add anyway (hot grips, bigger screen etc).

Shaft drives rock - just make sure bike shop tightens drain bung...

Bike
    '18 V-Strom 650
    1996 TDM850 - I researched a bit before I paid for it and, to date, it has met every expectation and surpassed some. Day in, day out, (touch wood) has never let me down; shingle; seal; commute; TT2000; couple of NI tours; SI traveling; 40k kms in two years. Economic on gas plus 20 litre tank (not as big as some, but better than others) means at least 300kms before looking for gas. Longish travel suspension; reasonable lights (although I don't mind traveling at night, I do like me sleep).

It might wear out one day , then what am I to do?

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    My list:
    • good light
    • reliable
    • good range
    • economical
    • comfortable riding position
    • good seat for rider and passenger (on the same level - my wife's request)
    • screen
    • seat not too high
    • heated grips
    • narrow panniers or good racks for soft panniers
    • sharp handling
    • character/ sound
    • loads of torque
    • 10,000km service
    • shaft
    • 2 accessory points

Beemer ?
    Second the motion, ticks every one of the OPs boxes. As it happens after months of studying and test rides,I bought one today, a R1100rs for exactly the same travelling scenario, great in the twisties, lowish seat, fast, reliable, good fairing but not obtrusive, slim panniers, heated grips, shaft drive etc etc. I'd start at a Beemer and work down.
    Ooh Edit: I just re-read the list, Sounds like a lawn mower but spot on for just about all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    Personal choice for me would be the V-Strom 650 having ridden one, but the 1000 has a strong following and plenty of performance. The bikes are cheap enough by comparison to modify in any way you like to suit you and it's a darned good rider who will get away from you if you're on the 1000!
    V-Strom 650, every one should try one, very very underrated. A few readily available accessories and you feel like you could take on the world never mind one country. This bike should have sold in the thousands to Kiwis, I have no idea why it hasn't. Oddball looks maybe?
    Oh bugger

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by martybabe View Post
    Second the motion, ticks every one of the OPs boxes. As it happens after months of studying and test rides,I bought one today, a R1100rs for exactly the same travelling scenario, great in the twisties, lowish seat, fast, reliable, good fairing but not obtrusive, slim panniers, heated grips, shaft drive etc etc. I'd start at a Beemer and work down.
    Ooh Edit: I just re-read the list, Sounds like a lawn mower but spot on for just about all the others.

V-Strom 650, every one should try one, very very underrated. A few readily available accessories and you feel like you could take on the world never mind one country. This bike should have sold in the thousands to Kiwis, I have no idea why it hasn't. Oddball looks maybe?
    Too many riders are in the "Gixxer mindset", where only a sports bike will do. They put up with sore wrists and necks, frustration at legal speeds and having to be very careful where they ride and park. Higher ownership costs in every area and a bike impractical for anything but the race track. Why? 'Cause they're cool and fast and look great!

I'm convinced that if everyone had to spend a week on a V-Strom 650, and ride it around the Coro, across the Desert Rd, commute to work and go right out to South Head, many would trade their beloved sports bikes on a V-Strom the next day!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    An older biker that I had a lot of respect for, who did a lot of miles and has since passed on, used to ride a 700 magna. It never seemed to fail him, and he did many of the big rusty rallys etc.

Part of what inspired me to get a cruiser tbh. The Boulevard to me seems to be the more modern incarnation of the style.

Haven't regretted a moment of it. The guy who had mine before me traded it on a V-strom, but then by the mileage figures he hardly ever rode the thing.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Smifffy View Post
    An older biker that I had a lot of respect for, who did a lot of miles and has since passed on, used to ride a 700 magna. It never seemed to fail him, and he did many of the big rusty rallys etc.

Part of what inspired me to get a cruiser tbh. The Boulevard to me seems to be the more modern incarnation of the style.

Haven't regretted a moment of it. The guy who had mine before me traded it on a V-strom, but then by the mileage figures he hardly ever rode the thing.
    My other short-listed bike was the V-Strom, but the Boulevard won for the type of riding I mainly do, solo and two-up on sealed roads. I do prefer shaft to chain as well. But I'd dearly love a V-Strom as well, for truly being an all-road, explore the country bike!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Triumph Sprint St 07, G650gs BMW
    These are the type of threads I like, good honest yakking about bikes. None of this crap stuff.

I dont have much experince with different bikes, so i am limited in what I can say. The sprint works for me fine, it has it short comings, but also many good points. but I have always be keen to try a BMW or Multistrada ( THe one looks good the old one looks a bit pig ugly!) and try to get a feel for different bikes.

What ever I ride I just love being out there!

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Heh, yeah it's always going to be "my bike" innit.

The Buell ticks almost all my boxes, you'd want more range and a taller screen I guess.

Good bits for me are weight (180), good fully adjustable suspension, a mill that very closely matches the traction available from a modern sports tyre and quirky but very sharp handling, less maintenance than a pushbike, belt drive.

Shortfalls for me are the less than bulletproof belt guard and the heavy(er) zorst, (which will survive until the day I get a few hours free). Standard luggage ain't that bulletproof either.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2009 Sukuki Bandit 1250SA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    My favourite shop is the Honda shop down the road. Honda is country wide, unfortunately, they don't make the bike I want. You have a ST1300 (not so good on gravel and tyres a bit odd), or the Varadero (big and heavy, too off road biased and tyres) or the CB1000R, which isn't practical enough.

I won't even mention the VFR1200F, but I am keeping my ear to the ground on the VFR1200T.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWh4H...eature=related
    just in case you havnt seen it

I think the varadero or the vstrom would be my choice just wish they were a bit lighter

Theres also the new triumph 800 which will be worth a look when it arrives
    --------------------------------------
    Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    GS, GS , GS.

And dont let on-paper weight concern you.

The GSA fully loaded is the easiest bike i've done U turns on, particularly super low speed. It's also effortless in the twisties, big bars, responsive handling - very litte effort required. I had a ball on it on the coro loop.

I can tell you still haven't ridden one!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Interesting comments re the Strom family - I agree, in theory they should be the ideal motorcycle for NZ, but darn are they not a bit fugly looking. Bla bla bla it should not matter, but to many, me included it does, it it does not visually float-my-boat when I walk towards it, it is just a utility vehicle.

I don't really understand why the Adventure bikes are all so styled - I guess they are trying to give them a dirt bike look. I'd rather they gave them a street look with dual purpose intentions.

I found this rendering of a Speed Motard - pop some duals on the wheels and hit the back roads. There may be luggage issues...

Man that's a fine looking ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triumph_motard_01.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	223155  

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    The GSA fully loaded is the easiest bike i've done U turns on, particularly super low speed. It's also effortless in the twisties, big bars, responsive handling - very litte effort required. I had a ball on it on the coro loop.
    The brother has one, we swap regularly. The GSA feels more like a big chook chaser, the Buell more like a chunky track bike. They're both very comfortable for long rides, the GS has the big tall screen but personally I don't like it. The Buell is quicker both throught an apex and accelerating out. The GS takes less effort, (IE: concentration), on the Buell you need to stay focused.

If we were buying bikes tomorrow for the same purpose we currently use them for I think he'd buy an XB12X. Possibly an XT.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    There may be luggage issues...
    And zorst issues. It's more Cafe racer style, no?

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by martybabe View Post

What is the lawnmower bit? Sharp handling? I rode a K100LT the other day and it floated around on the corners compared to the VFR. Funny when you start test riding you start appreciating your own bike...

My experience with the VStrom (I did about 6000km on mine) was just couldn't make friends with it. Performance was good, lights were good but just had constant niggles - stretched chain, tyre came apart, panniers way too wide, too tall (I dropped it), ugly, sounded lame, Suzuki (oops)...

Thread Information