Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Country Tourer?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

The Ultimate Country Tourer?

Enough of the complaining threads, lets have some fun evaluating some bikes

So first a definition. I used the words country tourer in the sense of a country ie NZ, not country/city. This doesn't mean it necessarily has to be a globetrotter either. Needs to be that mythical do-all bike plenty of us look for.

What features are important to you when comparing bikes, what breaks the deal for you, and taking that into account whats on your short list if you were shopping now?

S'pose I should start first. I'm 95%+ road, so the bike has to be good on road, doesn't have to be brilliant off-road, but capable, ie, on tracks bordering on 4wd only territory. The advantage of this is just heading down a road when it takes your fancy and seeing where you end up.

Touring for me is also long distances in short times, like TT2000, Grand Challenge etc, so big fat heavy tourers don't cut the mustard for me, as they are hard work in the tight stuff, and would struggle when trying to go off road. However, they do have the handy features like a big fuel tank.

So the perfect bike for me has:
    • Excellent headlights, or something basic like H4, easily upgradeable, preferably two or more bulbs, good reflector housing
    • Good fuel tank, ideally more than 25L, the more the better
    • Reliable - goes without saying. If its going to break down, it will be in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere, so would prefer it doesn't break down. Service intervals of around 10k would be more useful than 6k.
    • Flexible. Fast sealed roads or off road, go anywhere, any time.
    • Standard tyre sizing (big bikes being 120-70-17 and 180-55-17). Wide range of choices and tyres should be available if needed in emergencies.
    • Strong battery/alternator for powering equipment off like extra lighting, GPS and heated gear
    • High quality suspension. Makes the world of difference when traversing the bumpy roads of NZ. Long travel usually has a big advantage over normal travel suspension.
    • Even started thinking a shaft drive would be useful, no problems with chains wearing out

It should be mentioned that sure, you can ride any bike now and then, but I'm meaning consistent long distances, anything from zero degrees (or below) and right through to middle of summer. As I've been finding, it sure takes its toll on the bike.

This means my current list (in no order) is something like this:
    Ducati Multistrada 1200 - bit expensive
    BMW R1200GS/A - usually makes lists doesn't it? Big fuel tank on the GSA, bigger available, possibly too heavy tho
    KTM 990 SM - of course it makes the list, but comparatively naked, tank not nearly big enough
    ST1300/Concours 14 etc, the big tourers. Good on road, perhaps not at higher paces in tight stuff, and not so good for off road exploring...

What say you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Can't really comment on it due to lack of bike experience but after some travels I did on little bikes, I say (for me) some power and weight would be luxury enough. Bright headlight would help riding at night.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    My list:
    • good light
    • reliable
    • good range
    • economical
    • comfortable riding position
    • good seat for rider and passenger (on the same level - my wife's request)
    • screen
    • seat not too high
    • heated grips
    • narrow panniers or good racks for soft panniers
    • sharp handling
    • character/ sound
    • loads of torque
    • 10,000km service
    • shaft
    • 2 accessory points

Beemer ?

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    My list:
    • good light
    • reliable
    • good range
    • economical
    • comfortable riding position
    • good seat for rider and passenger (on the same level - my wife's request)
    • screen
    • seat not too high
    • heated grips
    • narrow panniers or good racks for soft panniers
    • sharp handling
    • character/ sound
    • loads of torque
    • 10,000km service
    • shaft
    • 2 accessory points

Beemer ?
    Boulevard / Harley / Burgman

or maybe even a Honda

Bike
    GSA & WR
    My choice would be the Kawasaki Concours 1400. Its looking likley to be the bike that replaces the 14 when the time comes (not happening any day soon mind)

It is considered the best of the larger tourers for hustling its burden along at an impressive pace even in the twisties!

Not sure what its 'off road' capabilities would be though but I guess if you had the experience on the metal it should do just fine.

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Personal choice for me would be the V-Strom 650 having ridden one, but the 1000 has a strong following and plenty of performance. The bikes are cheap enough by comparison to modify in any way you like to suit you and it's a darned good rider who will get away from you if you're on the 1000!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    My last 2 visits to yerope have been an eye opener. Amongst the plethora of BMW GS's ( waiting for assistance) were a lot of super scoots, Burgmans etc. I kept bumping into a group of German riders in Scotland, about 30 of them fanging round the Highlands with at least 7 superscoots merrily ridden in the pack by girlfriends, warm & dry in the Arctic like summer weather.
    Riding through Germany I kept being passed by bloody scooters on the Autobahn, I'm sat at 150kmh getting my head torn off & these buggers are cruising past chatting on cellphones
    Never seen a scooter on gravel but I did overcook a corner on an ST 1100 & rode a fair way up & down a grass bank reciting "the throttle is my friend" mantra.

Long distance tourers for me still need to be fairly light, after a 700k day, U turns in a strange city when your shattered & distracted can be a big leap of faith & test of engine bars / luggage.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    FJR1300, Concours 14, my bike (ZX14) with it's 20mm bar raisers. A 2006 onward FZ1 Fazer if it had a seat upgrade or the NEW Multistrada 1200 if you really felt the need to do a teeny tiny amount of gravel roads or Beemer GS/New Super Ten 1200 if you wanted to to do a lot more gravel roads.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Honda Hornet 900.

I'm just going to answer that to everything as it's the only bike I have and it has to do everything I ask of it. It has a good crack at it too

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Honda Hornet 900.

I'm just going to answer that to everything as it's the only bike I have and it has to do everything I ask of it. It has a good crack at it too
    I know how you feel. Best tourer? My bike.

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I know how you feel. Best tourer? My bike.
    They never received the recognition they deserved, a great all-round all-roader!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
    or maybe even a Honda
    My favourite shop is the Honda shop down the road. Honda is country wide, unfortunately, they don't make the bike I want. You have a ST1300 (not so good on gravel and tyres a bit odd), or the Varadero (big and heavy, too off road biased and tyres) or the CB1000R, which isn't practical enough.

I won't even mention the VFR1200F, but I am keeping my ear to the ground on the VFR1200T.

Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Long distance tourers for me still need to be fairly light, after a 700k day, U turns in a strange city when your shattered & distracted can be a big leap of faith & test of engine bars / luggage.
    Completely agree re weight. Not only for city, but every corner in the country requires that bit less effort, and you go quicker, therefore arriving at the end of the day in better condition than on bigger heavier bikes.

Long days for me don't start until you're doing 800-1000km or more...
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Yamaha 1200 Tenere?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    I'm off on a two week trip on Tuesday next week down to Invergargill and back doing a bit of zig-zagging - average day will be about 6 hours. I know the VFR will be fine for that. I had a VStrom 650 and disliked the blandness and tallness of it. I rode a Magna 700 on a similar trip and loved it - just lack of range and a bit exposed without a screen but otherwise magical. I did a similar trip on my XR600 and had a ball but it was exhausting and I had some reliability issues (broken clutch cable and camchain tensioner). I can't see me doing it on a Burgman...I have some pride. Harley or Boulevard? Not keen on the position - maybe a Sportster . Also the high back seat not a happy place for the wife when she comes riding.

I would like a GS as I think they would tick all the boxes but in my price range I'd be getting a '94 with 150000km - may be asking for trouble - dunno...
    I really like the R1100R - the Roadster. Nice and 'light' and 'simple' but with that fabulous engine. I think that would be my choice...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Yamaha 1200 Tenere?
    Possible, much like the beemer. Slightly odd tyre sizes, bit more off road orientated, Ok tank size.

For this thread, I'm also ignoring the impact of dealers. I'll only touch brands that have dealers I trust, as I see them frequently enough.

Thread Information