Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever hit a possum or rabbit with their bike?

Bike
    2009, Kawasaki Ninja 250R

eek Has anyone ever hit a possum or rabbit with their bike?

I haven't heard anything about motorbikes hitting any small animals in NZ. I know when I drive home at night I pass on average about 3 possums and 3 rabbits.

Just a bit worried about the incident that could occur if I hit one.

Anyone had any close calls or actually collided with an animal?

Bike
    2014 Ducati Diavel
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Just a bit worried about the incident that could occur if I hit one.
    You're faster than a speeding bullet, more powerfull than a locomotive and can leap buildings in a single bound and you're worried about hitting a rabbit?

I'm sure there was a thread or a blog post discussing hitting various types of livestock with some videos, etc. Can't be arsed finding it now though as it's one hand on the keyboard and the other scoffing some curry.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Hit a goose once.
    Was not pleasant. Thankfully lowish speed (40kph).
    Bastard was trying to attack the bike.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    Hit a goose once.
    Was not pleasant. Thankfully lowish speed (40kph).
    Bastard was trying to attack the bike.
    Yes, I notice whenever I get near trees that have magpies nesting they will try and attack within their area. No matter how big, or how fast you are moving.

Did some model flying near one and it came up to the plane and started swooping at the wings! They have super courage.

Bike
    2012 RSS Spyder
    Had a close call with a hare last week on the bike, was only millimetres from colliding. Have been hit by a blackbird that obviously wasn't looking where he was going and flew straight into the bars then hit me on the chest. Felt like someone threw a brick at me

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    It does happen,I use too live in a area where rabbits and co were the norm on the road...

..and I learnt very quick too keep my line,don't break I have the right of way..

just remember don't panic or brake, keep your line,once you hit something with your front wheel it tends to splatter and open up if your braking your start sliding on that splattered guts and blood of what ever you just ran over .................

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsnbikes View Post
    It does happen,I use too live in a area where rabbits and co were the norm on the road...

..and I learnt very quick too keep my line,don't break I have the right of way..

just remember don't panic or brake, keep your line,once you hit something with your front wheel it tends to splatter and open up if your braking your start sliding on that splattered guts and blood of what ever you just ran over .................
    Bull bar attachment for front of bike? :P Just plough straight through them.

Bike
    CBR 150.RGV250 Bucket
    Blog Entries
    Rabbits don't seem to upset the bike much but I hit a possum mid corner once, it was a bit like hitting a rock. Made the bike buck and weave for a second or so.
    Life is a lesson-if I bother to listen

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    I hit a rabbit on the mighty Hyobag just 3 months fresh into riding. It was a the start of the corner so a slight lean. I started slowing down a bit before because I saw it sitting in the middle of the other lane. Then it started being all erratic so I speed up hoping I'd get past before it did something stupid and as I got close I straightened the bike a bit more from the lean (luckily I had room to do it).

I didn't even have time to flinch because the dickhead run right in front of wheel front wheel with about 1 m to go. I thought I had clipped it but my wife told me (following on her bike) that I got it pretty descent...took it's head clean off.

I think the lucky thing for me was actually speeding up and it being the dumb bugger running in front of me. I didn't have a chance to do anything stupid like tense up and I already had made up my mind to speed up. I would have hit it at 100km/h.

Recently (about 2 months back on the Daytona), the possum I hit had already been taken out by the car in front and since I was building up to pass I was following close. Again didn't have time to really thing about it just instinctively got my ass off the seat. Dunno if that was a good thing but it was like riding over a speed hump.

So the moral of the story is, if you're straight and relaxed you can take out small vermin 'til the cows come home NEVER tense up. It'll end in tears. And don't look at the bloody thing as you approach. There eyes get you in a trance and you do stupid things like aim for them. Trees and other fixed object put you in the same trance

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ckai View Post
    I hit a rabbit on the mighty Hyobag just 3 months fresh into riding. It was a the start of the corner so a slight lean. I started slowing down a bit before because I saw it sitting in the middle of the other lane. Then it started being all erratic so I speed up hoping I'd get past before it did something stupid and as I got close I straightened the bike a bit more from the lean (luckily I had room to do it).

I didn't even have time to flinch because the dickhead run right in front of wheel front wheel with about 1 m to go. I thought I had clipped it but my wife told me (following on her bike) that I got it pretty descent...took it's head clean off.

I think the lucky thing for me was actually speeding up and it being the dumb bugger running in front of me. I didn't have a chance to do anything stupid like tense up and I already had made up my mind to speed up. I would have hit it at 100km/h.

Recently (about 2 months back on the Daytona), the possum I hit had already been taken out by the car in front and since I was building up to pass I was following close. Again didn't have time to really thing about it just instinctively got my ass off the seat. Dunno if that was a good thing but it was like riding over a speed hump.

So the moral of the story is, if you're straight and relaxed you can take out small vermin 'til the cows come home NEVER tense up. It'll end in tears. And don't look at the bloody thing as you approach. There eyes get you in a trance and you do stupid things like aim for them. Trees and other fixed object put you in the same trance
    Yes target fixation already had a bit of fun with me at my basic handling skills course. "Man that chick's not bad looking... does she need some help... maybe she needs help..." nearly hit her right there and then. Luckily I don't think the instructors eyes were on me at that point.

Will have to remember for when I ride past a gaggle of girls on my soon to arrive ninja to just stop and chat. Not ride and stare

Bike
    Thumpapotamus
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsnbikes View Post

+1 I hit an opossum on the FZR250 last year.
    Long sweeping left corner had the throttle fairly wide open, hate to think what would have happened if I was braking.

Plowed straight through the thing like goin over a small judder bar, no worries just scary as hell.

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    hit serveral rabbits.. they dont do much.. they just splatter. quite alot of birds.. they are worse esp if you dont see them till the last min.

one cow. THAT is NOT recommended! Hurts lots and bike stops SUPER fast (you dont).

overall.. with any vehicle.. advice is the same.. Dont swerve or brake for animals. If they got a death wish then grant it.

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Will have to remember for when I ride past a gaggle of girls on my soon to arrive ninja to just stop and chat. Not ride and stare
    You are learning young grasshopper.

Bike
    Yamaha TDM
    Nearly sconed a kangaroo. a few weeks ago....

Think i ran over his tail.

Ran straight out in front of me,,,,

Stupid things they are... just like sheep.

Never know which way they are going to go............
    And that is the honest truth your honour..

Bike
    SF
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post

one cow. THAT is NOT recommended! Hurts lots and bike stops SUPER fast (you dont).
    Is that where the name came from?

Thread Information