Thread: Touring 250 flavour!

Bike
    1997 Ducati Monster, 2002 FXR150 bucket

Touring 250 flavour!

Hey guys

I just completed a 1200km (ish) trip from Wellington to Timaru and back on my GSX250. Just want to give my opinion and say that 250 touring is all good!

I took the 3am ferry and started the ride south at 7am. Had a pack with 3 days gear strapped to the tail with a $20 cargo net which worked a treat. Used two tanks of gas each way, at just under $30 a fill. I took my time and enjoyed the ride, stopping every now and again for a slurp of coffee from the thermos. I didnt find concentration an issue.

There were a couple of negatives, as expected. Firstly, after 9ish hours of riding i was sore. If I ever do another big trip on a sport bike I will invest in one of those attachments to be able to use the throttle with your palm - genius. The trip heading south was a smoking hot day, I mean like 3 seconds in the sun and you're cripsy... But I couldnt take gear off! Vents do nothing. End of rant. Oh and if you're into being coated with bug splatter then you're in for a treat (and weird.)

Now, if I was riding in a group all these problems would be ignorable (i think?)

That said, it was a totally awesome trip, awesome turns, sun, and no regrets. So get your 250s out and ride somewhere!
    Boy racers are like squids with more wheels.

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries
    pleased you enjoyed your trip.. any photos to share...

i have a very thick sheep's wool seat cover....no more sore bum mate...............and thats riding all day long..

JMJ
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Bike
    S1000RR
    Ofcourse! First of all, well done you brave soul. Theres no too much distance a 250 can do when ridden by a right rider

I belive on KB there was a guy who went from Auckland to Cape Reinga, then Auckland to Wellington and back... and Wellington again on a 150cc.

Show us some pics?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    1997 Ducati Monster, 2002 FXR150 bucket
    Boy racers are like squids with more wheels.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    thats fantastic, hope you had a great ride, its good to see people getting out there and doing some of the bigger rides on their 250s.

I bet you enjoyed the road from Blenheim to cheviot! though, on a 250 with less HP, youd have liked the Kaikoura to cheviot bit the most I expect, as its twistier, the other half is more rolling high speed corners one after the other . . .

good onya anyway!

Bike
    675cc of pure awesome.
    250s are capable as; eatorbeeaten and I did serious k's on our 250s (I had a bandit and she had a zzr250) including Auckland to Wanganui & back with camping gear strapped on.
    Stop showing up to the beating.

Bike
    1994 Yamaha Zeal
    good shit mate. some dude on KB did a butt load of riding on a gsxr 250 too.

your gsx is pretty big for a 250 too.

good effort
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'd rather eat cat shit with a knitting needle than go to Green Day

Thread Information