Thread: Metzeler delamination

Bike
    Its a whale

Metzeler delamination

I'm a stickler for tyre pressures so I found it odd that my front tyre, a Metzler, delaminated. It had a horrible bulge, caused a wicked vibration and it had to go, obviously. I measured the (WOF-legal) tread at 2mm. OK, it's not got long to go but I've run tyres (Metzlers) to below WOF-legal tread depth before and not had them delaminate.

Back to the retailer....."What pressure do you run?"
    Me...."36"
    Retailer "Well they probably won't give you anything for it because you've had the life of the tyre"

Me thinks..."Not quite but let's have a new one anyway....."

Rang sales rep who said he'd look at it, which will be interesting. I still have the old tyre.

Anyone else had a tyre delaminate and if so, at what point in the tyre's lifespan and what was the outcome?

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Tyres older than 7 years have been known to de-laminate. Based on the marking on the side wall, how long has it been since the tyre was manufactured?

Bike
    BSA A10
    There are more things than just tyre pressure that can cause it and I'd only expect tyre pressure if it was underinflated for a considerable period, inspecting the inside of the tyre would soon show that up

Manufacturing defects are extremely rare but can happen, impact breaks can cause it as well but again inspecting the inside would find that
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2009 Yamaha R6
    Most common cause of this is a partial puncture, which is really bad luck rather than anything else.
    You see this much more now with Radial tyres, and it happens when the debris goes through most of the tyre without puncturing the tubeless membrane.
    Beacause of this, the air stays in the tyre, but there is now air getting all the way to the carcase from the outside.
    Evey time this punctured area becomes the contact patch it seals the air in, super pressurising it in the process, and basically cuts the compound from the carcase.
    This is what causes the delamination, and it's basically nothing more than bad luck.

Bike
    Its a whale
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Tyres older than 7 years have been known to de-laminate. Based on the marking on the side wall, how long has it been since the tyre was manufactured?
    Last summer when it was used quite a bit, then it was used intermittently over winter. New tyre tread is 4mm, my delaminated item is 2mm.

Bike
    Its a whale
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishy View Post
    Most common cause of this is a partial puncture, which is really bad luck rather than anything else.
    You see this much more now with Radial tyres, and it happens when the debris goes through most of the tyre without puncturing the tubeless membrane.
    Beacause of this, the air stays in the tyre, but there is now air getting all the way to the carcase from the outside.
    Evey time this punctured area becomes the contact patch it seals the air in, super pressurising it in the process, and basically cuts the compound from the carcase.
    This is what causes the delamination, and it's basically nothing more than bad luck.
    I accept that bad luck has played a major part in this scenario. The damaged area is not confined to a small portion of the carcass though. The buldge in the tyre (when fitted to the wheel, complete with tube and inflated) would probably have been about 60-70mm long and about 10mm high. I wish I'd measured/photographed it as it receded quite a bit after it was removed. The tube was visibly undamaged, not even a bruise. It was refitted and has done about 1500-odd k's in the new tyre.

The tyre carcass did show the delamination on the inside to be approximately one third of the circumference of the tyre and roughly half of the inner surface in width.

Bad luck that it happened, good luck that it happened close to home and at low speed.

Bike
    Its a whale
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    There are more things than just tyre pressure that can cause it and I'd only expect tyre pressure if it was underinflated for a considerable period, inspecting the inside of the tyre would soon show that up

Manufacturing defects are extremely rare but can happen, impact breaks can cause it as well but again inspecting the inside would find that
    The retailer did ask "have you hit any potholes?" Well, none that really stand out in my memory as being particularly nasty and I don't think nasty enough to cause tyre damage. Nothing on the inside of the carcass indicates a harsh impact, nor the tube...no bruising or suchlike.

I'm not bagging Metzlers, I've had plenty and never struck this before. I even replaced the dud with another Metzler.

Bike
    2009 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by twinbruva View Post
    The damaged area is not confined to a small portion of the carcass though. The buldge in the tyre (when fitted to the wheel, complete with tube and inflated) would probably have been about 60-70mm long and about 10mm high.
    Yup, still sounds like what I suspect, and there is no surprise that it's worked it's way around the tyre - that's typical of this sort of issue.
    I have seen the damaged area stretch half way around the tyre, so you're still in the ball park for damage, rather than faulty manufacture.

Thread Information