Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha DT230, anybody got one?

Bike
    Suzuki DR650, Beta Xtrainer with CLAKE

Yamaha DT230, anybody got one?

Hi All

I am looking at getting a trail bike and like the concept of the 2 stroke yamaha DT230 or Lanza, does any one have one of know anybody with one or selling one, any info would be much appreciated, ph me 021 472 853, Cheers Paul

There are a couple on here with them.I had one and loved it,the ultimate adventure bike I reckon.Not exactly light for a 2 stroke,but far lighter than an air cooled 250,with twice the power.Probably not that great on a long ride,but for day rides they are a real hoot.If you are a trials rider,then you will get on with a 2 stroke very well.

Bike
    Hey Motu

Thanks for that, I love my Sherco 250 two stroke so I agree I think the DT230 would fit well, cheers Paul

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials Rider View Post
    Hey Motu

Thanks for that, I love my Sherco 250 two stroke so I agree I think the DT230 would fit well, cheers Paul
    I've had one for a couple of years. The engine is great, the handling is fine but the suspension - off road - is pretty ho hum - mind you mine has never had a suspension service. It will go nearly anywhere a decent trail bike will go - its ground clearance is what normally stops it.

It has plenty of oomph to be fun on gravel roads. I've done the Gentle Annie, Lake Waikaremoana, Motu Rd, been all around Raglan and down the Forgotten Highway, Molesworth, Rainbow, Porika, Braeburn etc etc on mine and its been fine.

It will sit at 100kph all day and is quite smooth at those speed but is as uncomfortable as any small, light bike with no wind protection at speed.

It bends in the middle if you cartwheel it though

I have often heard the suspension criticised,and won't defend it too much - but compared to contemporary bikes it was pretty good.You didn't find two way damping adjustments front and rear on mere trail bikes.

Bike
    Thats good info, thanks for that.

I havent seen a bike yet that likes cartwheels but keep up the good work, cheers Paul

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    Another DT230 owner here. I use mine for "knarlier" adv & trail rides. No slug on the road either - 150km/hr on std gearing. Comfy seat & suites my short legs.
    It's more of a dual purpose bike than a trail bike but with limited fuel range (150 km's & no after market tanks). However it still can out ride my limited ability.
    Not many around with only 14 sold new in NZ plus a few imports (Lanza's) ex Japan. However Yamaha NZ still carry parts.
    If you are looking at one in particular, ping us a message - I might know it.

Bike
    Thanks for that, haven't found anything yet, are the Lanza's exactly the same bar the stickers? not sure how to ping a message to you, my email is paul@delis.co.nz if you want to e me of line, would be keen to have a chat, cheers Paul

Same bike,just colour changes and graphics.First ones were white with a red frame and seat,then white with black frame and seat,last ones (NZ) were blue.Imports may have some extras - my Lanza had a carrier,

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials Rider View Post
    I havent seen a bike yet that likes cartwheels but keep up the good work, cheers Paul
    admittedly it survived the first two cartwheels with much less damage

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    Paul rode my DT230 today and now he wants one more than ever!
    Turns out he's brother of Monstaman - it's a small world.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Another one to look at in a similar lightweight road legal 2 stroke 250 line is the Gas Gas Pampera, especially if you are short of leg. I think the DT230 has better suspension but a trials rider would find much to like about the Pampera.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    Another one to look at in a similar lightweight road legal 2 stroke 250 line is the Gas Gas Pampera, especially if you are short of leg. I think the DT230 has better suspension but a trials rider would find much to like about the Pampera.

Cheers
    Clint
    I've breifly ridden a pampera and they have considerably less ooomph - particularly when the revs get up.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    I've breifly ridden a pampera and they have considerably less ooomph - particularly when the revs get up.
    Interesting comment, got me thinking. Haven't ridden a DT230, but vaguely interested in buying one myself at the moment. A friend had an unregistered Pampera which I rode in Woodhill Forest quite a bit but never on road. It was certainly heaps faster/more powerful/lighter than my DR-Z250, but I do recall being disappointed at it's top speed in the open on sand - wasn't sure if it was gearing, traction or a sheer lack of top-end power (or the suspension scaring me into backing off).

The Pampera is 248cc & 93kg dry weight. Trials-origin engine so lots of low-down grunt rather than a peaky 2T screamer. Online stats say 20hp, possibly measured rear wheel. Doesn't sound like a lot for a 250/2T given the MXers are cracking 55-60 crank hp.

The DT230 is 224cc & 121kg dry weight. Reportedly 40hp (crank?). A "useful increase" on the Pampera. I would expect it to be far peakier; the Pampera didn't have a typical 2t powerband (except off idle), feels very much like a 4t power curve. One wonders how useful the Pampera's grunt would be, particularly if it had a weak top end?? Useful as in, make up for? Possibly not for adventure touring use on the open road. And also, whether the flat torque curve and fat midrange makes the bike feel weaker & slower than it is? IME that is certainly the case with bikes like the Tiger steamer.

Probably a bit academic anyway, as I think the DT230 makes a more versatile/tourable machine so I'm unlikely to choose a Pampera even if it was as powerful.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

The DT230 was developed from the DT200 to give it more bottom end...it has a smaller carb than the DT200.Twice the hp of the Pampera,and probably feels like it.The advertising blurb was MX bike on the street,and that's how it felt to me,or more likely how I rode it.They come on really strong on the bottom end (or mine did anyway) and then you just flick it through the gears as fast as you can - no tacho,but they rev to 9,000,and I would guess I changed up at 7,000.Short shifting on that strong bottom end.

I reckon the Pampera would be a better trail bike in tough stuff.Open trails,fire breaks and gravel the DT230 just rips it up.I actually found it hard to control trying tight stuff in 1st.

Thread Information