Thread: 1 door closes, so another opens

Bike
    Buell XB12X 'Black Betty'

1 door closes, so another opens

I brought 'Darkie', my first 990 Adv, home from 18 months of exile in Orstralia back in late October.
    30,000km of sensational riding under her wheels ; all around, across and thru we all went, and without any hitch( apart from always running outta fuel), covered so much of the red land with my wife.
    We especially loved the remote camping, but no matter how much money was spent on 'miniscule' gear, how clever we packed(and my wife gets by on bugger all, really!), we just could not nail 'comfort' when camping. Not from the back of the bike, it was just not possible for two of us.
    So, without complaint, we finished up the southern regions this sept/oct and stayed at a variety of cheap( and not so cheap!) digs, but the desire to freedom camp still tugs at both of us, strongly, I am well bittern by the 'bug' and in love with the red land .
    The return of Darkie closes that chapter for us, we have been there and done that, now we will be going back and doing it all again, each NZ winter, from the modest comfort of our new packhorse...so a new door opens for us >with the emphasis on sight seeing and remote camping, taking our time this time, all from the back of our recently aquired 4x4 Delica TD! Sorry to let the side down, feel free to lambast, chastise etc!
    Picture shows both the old steed and the new steed making aquaintances at our last digs in Taigum, Brisbane, just before returning home.

FOR SALE: 2007 KTM990 ADVENTURE, 41000KM,1 CAREFUL OWNER, ALWAYS SERVICED ONTIME. 9000KM ON NEW CHAIN AND SPROCKETS, NEW MITAS TYRES, FRESH SERVICE AND VALVE CHECK, S&W ENGINE BARS, GIVI PANNIER RACKS, CHOICE OF HI/LO SCREEN, CHOICE OF STD/GEL SEAT. VERY NICE ORDER AND GOES VERY WELL. OFFERS AROUND $15000.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00584.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	442.7 KB 
ID:	224812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00362.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	368.0 KB 
ID:	224813  
    I'm no gynaecologist, however I would be happy to take a look......................

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    You forgot to add in the extra fuel cans so it can make it from one gas station to another
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    800XC

Great Idea

Why don't you get your wife to drive the van - with all the gear (and spare fuel) and then you can ride "Darkie" - win win situation?

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Good call Crim, or I'm sure you could get a rack for a bike on the back of that. you could get a little day trip machine or something.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    That's a good price for a well set up bike Jamie, good luck with the sale!

Bike
    Thanks Iain, you other 2, well wot can I say? pure bloody genius! I wonder why I did not think of that....Doh!
    I'm no gynaecologist, however I would be happy to take a look......................

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    Interesting choice replacing the bike with the 4WD, especially when you both want to free camp.

I have a feeling that I may head in that direction sometime too....

Do you think by being in a vehicle it will affect where you can go / who you meet etc compared to being one of the "brotherhood" travelling on a bike?

The gel seat, how good are they? Would you sell it separately?

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    I will be interested to see how that car goes in some of the harder terrain.
    Wouldn't be my choice for four wheels over there, but meh, you'll probably prove me wrong

Bike
    Yamaha TDM
    How interesting...
    I have just done the same thing....
    Bought a disco v8.... flying down to Sydney on wed to pick it up....
    Still got the TDM but shes on the market too.....
    I love the camping over here its great...
    Dont have to wrap up to much because its allways warm.
    Doing Cape York next april......
    Lots of fun...
    Cant wait.. will post up a trip report if iam allowed..
    Mayebe spank could open up a 4x4 forum....
    And that is the honest truth your honour..

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Sell wife keep bike

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Today we spend 4 hours travelling through a track in a Prado that I bet the guys doing the DB1k will do in not much over and hour. 4x4's are great gear carriers but you'll take a lot longer to get anyway. Then again maybe that's the idea.
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by young1 View Post
    Interesting choice replacing the bike with the 4WD, especially when you both want to free camp.To be able to take some of the things we take for granted in everyday life, will make the camping just that more enjoyable.

I have a feeling that I may head in that direction sometime too....

Do you think by being in a vehicle it will affect where you can go / who you meet etc compared to being one of the "brotherhood" travelling on a bike?Absolutly not! There is NO brotherhood amongst bikers on the road in Oz, however, nomads and most other travellers are very outgoing and connect with all other travellers regardless of transport!

The gel seat, how good are they? Would you sell it separately?Good? thats subjective , but yes, i will sell it seperatly if youre interested

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    Sell wife keep bike
    Orh, m8, its sooo much more economic to sell the bike............................

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    I will be interested to see how that car goes in some of the harder terrain.Won't be doin the telegraph track Brent, so don't worry, everywhere else, with the right mods, she'll go!
    Wouldn't be my choice for four wheels over there, but meh, you'll probably prove me wrong:I have owned 2 here for over 15 years, with no troubles and I have taken them everywhere with all sorts of loads, oh, thats as a farm vehicle I mean!yes:
    Go to www.delicaclub.com and see for yourself what these great, underestimated vehicles do regularly over there!!!

Bike
    Yamaha TDM
    Done a couple of off road trips wiyh Delcas,,,
    I suprised were they went.. certainlly didnt disgrace themselves.....
    And that is the honest truth your honour..

Thread Information