Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike Riding Virgin

Bike
    *sob* Nothing doing...
    Good point Slingshot! My father rides a *cough mumble* (I dunno) and my brother a Ninja600. I really like his bike. I dont' like Dad's one (more of the commuter style...I should attempt to find out but since it rarely goes, there's little point).

Both have come off theirs (different bikes) and have impressed upon me their war wounds (brother had to have his entire thumb reconstructed...) but I figure that since I already know injury (reconstructed ACL) then I'm aware of the risks. And the reason I figure I WILL bin (ooh..see how quickly I learn?) is that I've inherited the same "I'm fairly certain I can...um...uhoh...maybe noooooooottt" gene that they've got.

Rest of famdamily is in New Plymouth and Ipswich (UK). Not on the forum as far as I know *looks around guiltily*...Dad? Is that you?

But you're right about using the fear to protect. I'm fairly sensible most of the time...but in a Skyline that goes like the clappers, I have been known to take someone on. So I'm not sure what I'll be like when I'm riding Streethawk!

Have seen some nice looking ZXR's...they seem to be my favoured (over the bandit and the VTR at present). But price/condition/looks/comfort/practicableness all have to balance - and that's hard!

Bike
    So old you won't care
    I'm too lazy to read all the posts but...

How tall are you? It makes a difference as to what is suitable!

Bike
    *sob* Nothing doing...
    I'm 173cm with long legs (apparently). I shouldn't have a problem. Now, the weirdest thing is that there's a 4month old GN250 for sale in Whangerei apparently - FOR $1995!!!!?
    http://www.buy-sell-exchange.co.nz/M...ert_id=1181679

Although I want a sports bike, I'm happy to NOT have one for 12 weeks before I leave NZ! ANd this SHOULD have good resale value right? Comments appreciated!

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurygnomes
    I'm 173cm with long legs (apparently). I shouldn't have a problem. Now, the weirdest thing is that there's a 4month old GN250 for sale in Whangerei apparently - FOR $1995!!!!?

Although I want a sports bike, I'm happy to NOT have one for 12 weeks before I leave NZ! ANd this SHOULD have good resale value right? Comments appreciated!
    Sounds very cheap. They are $3000 odd new, so someone's perpared to take a $1000 hit for 4 months . Still might be the case if the need to cash up quick

You should be easy able to sell ti for that much or more. They have gfood resale value, always in demand
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    a) No, not the 'what bike should I get' question - I'm not stupid - I'm gonna try to test loads and see whether I prefer a commuter position or a sports one.
    More: what do you LOOK for in a second hand bike? I'm thinking 'things that have gone wrong'. You know, when you look at a car you have a view along the body to see if the chassis is skewed etc. That sort of thing.

b) Which fall is easier to deal with (ie. fewer bumps/scrapes/deaths): low-siding or high-siding (I'm not sure - can you describe either?).

c) What is the MINIMUM you'd wear for wet weather commuting (Wellington-Porirua each day)?

d) Have any of you done the CBTA thing with Roadsafe in Wellington? What are the people like? (You speak of John Wright in AKL, I want a similar 'headsup' please)

e) How many of you resent the CBTA 'fast track' thing? Or do you think it's a valid method for obtaining the ability to ride bigger bikes?

f) people speak of 'power to get out of trouble'. Could you provide an example of when one woudl need such 'power'?

g) general reassurance please. My whole family (except me) rides, and the only reason I didn't till now is a overprotective boyfriend. First, dump the guy, second, attempt to cheat death!

Ta muchly,
    Nomes
    Hi,
    I do whitby / welly every day

You say you are off to the UK? check it out but i am not sure if you can ride on a new kiwi licence over there, you may have had to have been riding a couple of years...?

a) Used Motorcycle Buying Guide
    c) Spool do a reasonable price and jacket and pants worth considering, a good helmet, boots and gloves. If your boots are not waterproof then get some overboots, ditto with the gloves.
    d) Andrew is very good, nice chap too. Have had an advanced lesson from him and watched him do a few beginners lessons.
    f) You should have enough power to keep up and pass traffic so if your bike only does 70 and you are on the motorway, you will be in trouble. (yup, i know the law). The time when you probably need the power is if you pull out and realise the car/truck is going faster than you thought so being able to do 70 NOW is a good thing... but most 250's have enough uuumph to survive
    g) Biking is FUN! Stay safe by learning more everytime you go out.

Bike suggestions... 250cc dual purpose (off road type) why?
    1. wide handle bars make turning easy.
    2. Quick off the mark.
    3. hides the bumps on NZ roads.
    4. high up riding position makes you visible and you can see over cars.
    5. they are designed to be dropped.
    6. you don't have to stop when the road does.
    7. if you want to ride up on to the pavement you can.
    8. a heavy right wrist will not destroy your licence.
    9. easy to maintain
    10. They are fun
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    none...I gota sail boat

SITE GLAMCAT

I'm too much like GirlyGirl (Am a glamcat who wants a nice sporty style bike)
    SITE GLAMCAT

dats as good as a nomination for girlygirl,any one guna second it?
    Hater of haters since 2012

Bike
    Yamama R6 & Frankie the Bucket

It sounds like you're looking for a new B/F.

Are you leaving NZ for good or are you coming back?

PS...I'm happily married, I was just making an observation

Bike
    Yamama R6 & Frankie the Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by stifarms
    SITE GLAMCAT

dats as good as a nomination for girlygirl,any one guna second it?
    I'd say it would take more than an off-the-cuff comment like that. When she starts complaining about helmet hair then possibly

Bike
    Mmmm bike riding virgins...... oops did I say that out loud?? :spudwhat:
    Welcome.

Bike
    10 HUSQ TE310, 06 HONDA HORNET 900
    I CAME AS SOON AS I SAW THE TOPIC
    it is uncanny, asleep dreaming about it, wake up and look at kb, thought my dreams had been answered.

Thought/think had/have How you doin?
    Welcome to KB ladies ;D wooooohooooo

Bike
    *sob* Nothing doing...
    I'm in luck re the helmet hair - my hair's already dead straight...so it's not gonna look 'squashed'. The main thing I worry about is where I"m gonna put my high heels when I'm on a bike!

I'll be leaving NZ for good. And according to Andrew at Roadsafe, I can ride on my NZ full (after doing the CBTA) for a year in the UK and then sit a UK road test to get my UK full. A heck of a lot less expensive and time consuming than getting my learners/restricted/full over there (they don't recognise the NZ learners - PLUS you can only ride a 125 on an L-plate there!).

Have conflicting advice from two older riders: one says I should go with the GN250 for sale (after popping down to Wellington Mcycles to see what the riding position is and whether I can stand it) because the guys taken a $1500 (inc reg) depreciation hit on a 4month old bike, and another says 'fairings are easier to fix than casings'...referring to waht will scrape across the ground when I come off it.

ARGH!!! I'm tempted to take my dad's advice (GN250) but he's the one who got me into this whole science mess to start off with - so it's been 'dubious' before...? And I know you've all got your own opinions (I've read most of the threads already) so I guess it's up to me...but...ARGH! Big decision for big $$. I suppose if I bought a 4-month old GN250 for 1995 - I could always resell it (in 14 weeks I'm hoping the weather is nice enough to bring more learners out of hte woodwork).

Ta anyways,
    Nomes

P.S. Esp tx to Xp@ (nice moniker!), for the advice on gears.

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries

g) general reassurance please. My whole family (except me) rides, and the only reason I didn't till now is a overprotective boyfriend. First, dump the guy, second, attempt to cheat death!

Ta muchly,
    Nomes
    a-f... my suggestion is paysomeone with trained eyes to look over it. WT is someone that comes to mind, and no doubt there are others in here that'd help. Check steering head bearings, brakes, etc etc etc. I've got no doubt you'll get plenty of good advice in here, but what'll take you 2 hours to check, someone with trained eyes will spot (or derive) in minutes.

Maybe payment in beer?

If you buy from a shop, tell them you're not 100% sure of what you're looking at and you'd like to be able to bring the bike back to be fixed free if anything shows up in the next 2 months.

As for (g). We all need to live our own lives, and while it's nice that b/f is concerned, it's still your final decision, and you may need to agree to disagree on that one.

Not worth breaking up over, unless the bike thing is indicative of a bigger, looming problem...

Councelling hat off...

Welcome aboard!
    MDU
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    *sob* Nothing doing...
    Oh gosh, I certainly didn't break up with anyone just so I could ride bikes...I'm not THAT loopy (statement subject to extreme bias!)! Nah...it's more of a "well, since no one is going to be paranoid each time I leave the house now, I may as well learn to ride a bike!" thing - promise. But ta for the counselling.

(and "hi fellas" to ZeRax & XTC! I was hoping the topic thread name would get me some reads!)

Off now to see if there's anything about transportation for bikes anywhere. Am already feeling nervous about the idea of driving a bike from AKL - WLTN on my 'first' bloody open road drive! However, if I do fix a date to pick it up, how about we do a Kiwibikers relay? (she says, with a GIANT L-plate strapped to the bike)

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Oi!

you are doing this all wrong!

You should not be going to the UK, especially "for good" that is from where I cometh... If you are going to live anywhere then your decision should be based soley on the appropriateness of the roads for riding! eg living in Porrirua you are 20mins (sub 18mins if really trying) from work and 5 mins from piecock hill.

Cancel that ticket and STAY HERE!

ok, ok, so you have made up your mind....
    when you get there, go here http://www.visordown.com/forums/
    Like here there is a lot of excellent knowlege and help avalible.

If you are heading home on a new bike then, if I'm in town could probably help .
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Oh gosh, I certainly didn't break up with anyone just so I could ride bikes...I'm not THAT loopy (statement subject to extreme bias!)!
    You get riding, and I bet your position on that will change... I know guys that are happy to admit that they have told their g/f that they come after the bike(s)

Freight for bikes might have some info, if not, just do a search.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information