Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ST, GS or R?

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

ST, GS or R?

Okay I've narrowed my choices down. I want shaft drive, I want torque, I want bulletproof, I want style and I want it all for $6-7000 I do over 20,000km per year - all year round riding. I ride to and through Auckland a lot which is an absolute pain with a wide-bodied bike (i.e. hard panniers). And I don't want a sportsbike so not RS's or S's.

I don't really need a GS but I would like one as they do touring reasonably well and you can reach places you can't on a roady. But to get one in my price range I'm going to go way high mileage and mid-90's. People tell me they are fine so long as you know the history etc BUT there is also the choice of the 1100R (or 850R). You can get these newer, cheaper and lower mileage and they are the same bike minus the back-road-ability.

Then there are the ST1100's - also meet my specs and you can get a reasonable one for my price. The downside is the complexity (meaning less you can do on them yourself) but hey - they are Honda's and I do like Honda's . But after riding a couple of BMW's my heart is getting stolen away by their quirkiness And I know I haven't mentioned RT's and I like them but they are again just that bit more expensive so you have to go old/high km.

What does the collective wisdom of you lot think? Do I desert Mother Honda for the German hordes? If so which Fraulein (or possibly Frau) do I chose?

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Buy a late model, V7 Guzzi.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    'R' Beemers any size you like. I can't confirm it but I've read that the 850 R is the smoothest of the bunch. Not much wrong with the 1100/1150/1200 either, The paralever ride is a revelation.
    Oh bugger

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Buy a late model, V7 Guzzi.
    Like this one: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-337996315.htm ?

Must say I did look at it but don't know much about them (and it's out of my range - if I was going that high I'd get an RT). What is cost of parts/servicing like? Do they do high mileage well?

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by martybabe View Post
    'R' Beemers any size you like. I can't confirm it but I've read that the 850 R is the smoothest of the bunch. Not much wrong with the 1100/1150/1200 either, The paralever ride is a revelation.
    Yeah I've ridden both 850 and 1100. I did prefer the extra torque of the 1100 but in saying that I didn't get to open up the 850 much - just had a short ride. The 1100 was really smooth when you opened it up but a bit lumpy at lower speeds/revs - but that's just it's character - not a put-off.

Bike
    katzuki
    Suzuki VX800 - great bike in this category at basement cost. Purchase decision boils down to whether you are a snob or not.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    Okay I've narrowed my choices down. I want shaft drive, I want torque, I want bulletproof, I want style and I want it all for $6-7000 I do over 20,000km per year - all year round riding. I ride to and through Auckland a lot which is an absolute pain with a wide-bodied bike (i.e. hard panniers). And I don't want a sportsbike so not RS's or S's.

I don't really need a GS but I would like one as they do touring reasonably well and you can reach places you can't on a roady. But to get one in my price range I'm going to go way high mileage and mid-90's. People tell me they are fine so long as you know the history etc BUT there is also the choice of the 1100R (or 850R). You can get these newer, cheaper and lower mileage and they are the same bike minus the back-road-ability.

Then there are the ST1100's - also meet my specs and you can get a reasonable one for my price. The downside is the complexity (meaning less you can do on them yourself) but hey - they are Honda's and I do like Honda's . But after riding a couple of BMW's my heart is getting stolen away by their quirkiness And I know I haven't mentioned RT's and I like them but they are again just that bit more expensive so you have to go old/high km.

What does the collective wisdom of you lot think? Do I desert Mother Honda for the German hordes? If so which Fraulein (or possibly Frau) do I chose?
    the rs is hardly a sport bike.... itsjust got a slightly more forward leaing position narrower bars ad a smaller fairing than the RT
    why discount the bricks?
    trademe link

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    ... And I don't want a sportsbike so not RS's or S's....

Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    the rs is hardly a sport bike.... itsjust got a slightly more forward leaing position narrower bars ad a smaller fairing than the RT....
    Is you can find a "S" in your price bracket it would be worth taking for a spin. Mine though designated as a "Sport bike", is a whole lot more "Tourer" in ride position than a number of others I tested in both clases.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by rogson View Post
    Suzuki VX800 - great bike in this category at basement cost. Purchase decision boils down to whether you are a snob or not.
    A couple of issues with them - I understand the range is quite poor and also my wife hates elevated rear seats so that sort of rules our cruiser style if I want to take her (and I do from time to time). Also a mate has one and has a real problem with scraping the pegs.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    the rs is hardly a sport bike.... itsjust got a slightly more forward leaing position narrower bars ad a smaller fairing than the RT
    why discount the bricks?
    trademe link
    Yeah I haven't actually ridden an RS but I have ridden a K100LT and disliked the whole feel of it - much more happy with the flat twins.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Is you can find a "S" in your price bracket it would be worth taking for a spin. Mine though designated as a "Sport bike", is a whole lot more "Tourer" in ride position than a number of others I tested in both clases.
    Not too keen on the look of the S's. Just my taste but they look like a kayak with a wheel at each end to me . Some people think the R's are horrible but I quite like their quirky look.

Bike
    Honda Pan European ST1100
    Blog Entries
    Do I desert Mother Honda for the German hordes? If so which Fraulein (or possibly Frau) do I chose?
    Pan Europeans (ST) were designed and built in Germany.
    Superior bikes to the BMW in terms of Speed, Range, Reliability, Price, Service costs.
    Both marques hold their value too well.
    Atheism and Religion are but two sides of the same coin.
    One prefers to use its head, while the other relies on tales.

Bike
    XJR
    A completely unbiased view Hinny?

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    Not too keen on the look of the S's. Just my taste but they look like a kayak with a wheel at each end to me . Some people think the R's are horrible but I quite like their quirky look.
    Seems to me you've set your sights on an 'R' and it's a good call in my book. For the record I agree with you on the 'S's looks . I'm not trying to persuade you here because I don't think it's the right bike for you but it is a real class act and sounds superb. If I had the money this baby would be on my shopping list. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-339372134.htm
    Oh bugger

Bike
    Honda Pan European ST1100
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kinger View Post
    A completely unbiased view Hinny?
    Just revealing some of the reasons I chose a Pan.
    Atheism and Religion are but two sides of the same coin.
    One prefers to use its head, while the other relies on tales.

Thread Information