Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I want to change the jets in my bike?

Bike
    Anniversary (99) VFR 800
    ok well im gonna buy my self a set of quad carb sync's

and probably some 128 and 130 jets this will enable me to step up once or twice with the 122 and 125's it has now ..

I really want to buy a 90 degree screw driver too so i dont have to take the RAD off to sync them and also i could screw with the pilot screws while the carbs are still on which would be nice.

Pitty i dont have the cash for anything. Xmas next week

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post

and probably some 128 and 130 jets this will enable me to step up once or twice with the 122 and 125's it has now ..

I really want to buy a 90 degree screw driver too so i dont have to take the RAD off to sync them and also i could screw with the pilot screws while the carbs are still on which would be nice.

Let me join everyone else on here in telling you the pilot screws make no difference to anything once the throttle is open. They pretty much never need altered other than for massive climate changes or swapping to avgas/methonol.

If you try and fuel it to run smooth at 4000rpm you are likely gonna cock things up elsewhere in the rev range.

Here is a real easy way to look for air leaks by the way. Get yourself a can of engine start spray. Fire the bike up like normal and hold it around mid revs. Then spray the engine start around the carbs and air box, but not at the proper air intake. When the revs jump you know where to look.

Do this when the engine is not overly hot, and dont have a smoke in your mouth at the time. If you have an account at BOC or the likes do it with an inert gas as it's safer.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Any luck yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    I could be wrong, but most m/c needles I've seen have 5 grooves with a circlip in one of them to set the needle height. Circlip is commonly in groove 3 x factory. Mostly, the needle just drops through a hole in the slide, the circlip dictating how far. Different carbs have different ways of holding the needle down, once it's in the slide.
    yeah you are wrong. there are lots of different needles out there, adjustable and not.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

I would suggest that the cheap sync gauges are not very good. I've used a lot of differnt methods, and after getting them "spot on" with the cheap gauges it still ran like shit. Called up george from motorcycle doctors and he came out with his yamaha brand ($700) single gauge and balanced them - and man what a difference it made!

I think the cheap gauges work well for the lower end of the performance bikes, but the zxr and cbr's really benefit from a great balance.

I havn't read much in here as to why you're doing it, but due to the time and cost involved i'd be looking at a free flowing intake and exhaust before you jet the carbs to suit. Jetting with out a dyno takes a lot of time, and adjustment - it took me the best part of a year to get my cbr jetted to how i wanted it.... my cbr is now running 145 jets all through out. I want to change the pilot jets out too.... maybe :P

oh and then there is the cams that i want to play with
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    I would suggest that the cheap sync gauges are not very good. I've used a lot of differnt methods, and after getting them "spot on" with the cheap gauges it still ran like shit. Called up george from motorcycle doctors and he came out with his yamaha brand ($700) single gauge and balanced them - and man what a difference it made!

I think the cheap gauges work well for the lower end of the performance bikes, but the zxr and cbr's really benefit from a great balance.

I havn't read much in here as to why you're doing it, but due to the time and cost involved i'd be looking at a free flowing intake and exhaust before you jet the carbs to suit. Jetting with out a dyno takes a lot of time, and adjustment - it took me the best part of a year to get my cbr jetted to how i wanted it.... my cbr is now running 145 jets all through out. I want to change the pilot jets out too.... maybe :P

oh and then there is the cams that i want to play with
    I took my gsxr400 to as bike shop to balance the carbs and when the set said they were balanced the bike ran like crap so made my own set with clear tube and auto trans fluid worked a treat balanced perfect and goes like a cut cat on the track
    Last edited by kiwi cowboy; 21st December 2010 at 17:25. Reason: my spellings shit
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Bike
    Anniversary (99) VFR 800
    i didn't get much done lately cos it's been raining.

I was wondering about the cheap sync gauges i think i'll have to calibrate them to each other before they'd be to use full.

i had a cbr before it went very well in the end i got 50hp on red barons dyno . im sure this bike it's there yet.

What jets were you running before ?

Thanks for the support everyone

Bike
    Bikes!
    Yes you sync them all together off of one cylinder before you start. The cheap ones work fine, you just need to be patient and actually understand what it is you're trying to achieve and how to effect the changes that make that happen.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    i didn't get much done lately cos it's been raining.

I was wondering about the cheap sync gauges i think i'll have to calibrate them to each other before they'd be to use full.

i had a cbr before it went very well in the end i got 50hp on red barons dyno . im sure this bike it's there yet.

What jets were you running before ?

Thanks for the support everyone
    How did you manage 50hp from a CBR assuming it's a 250? Or was that calculated crank hp? Highest standard CBR i've seen was 36rwhp.

I have used a cheap gauge to sync carbs before, worked well for me.
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Just my 10 cents worth, yes, washers do work. I recommend making only one change at a time to avoid getting lost. Pay attention to Drews posts, they are gold for you in this instance me thinks

Bike
    Anniversary (99) VFR 800
    im gonna concentrate on ensuring the crabs are sync'd before i do anything more

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Nothing worse than un-synced crabs......:

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Crashed it.
    The cheap ones are fine for balancing. If you have any doubt, simply swap them around to see if they're still showing as balanced.

But as an actual diagnostic tool, not so much. Liquid gauges are useless for that anyway, hence I have dial type.
    If it wasn't for a concise set of rules, we might have to resort to common sense!

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    It pays to ensure that your valve clearances are all good before balancing the carbs.

Bike
    Anniversary (99) VFR 800
    carb balancer and 90 degree screw driver is in the mail

Thread Information